Teams and drivers told to boycott Bahrain

The Bahrain Centre for Human Rights has asked the teams and drivers to boycott the Bahrain Grand Prix in late April due to ongoing unrest.
bahrain-grand-prix-aerial.png

The country had meant to host the 2011 season opening race, as it has done in previous years, but the event was cancelled after violence and protests broke out in the country, making it unsafe for visitors.

Whilst the violence has calmed dramatically over the past few months, campaigners are adamant that the government is continuing to mistreat pro-democracy protestors, and has therefore called on the F1 fraternity to once again skip the event.

"We will campaign for drivers and teams to boycott [the race]," said Nabeel Rajab, vice president for the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights.

"The government wants Formula One to tell the outside world that everything is back to normal. If they come, they are helping the government to say [it is].

"We would prefer it if they didn't take part. I am sure the drivers and teams respect human rights."
Bernie Ecclestone however seems unlikely to cancel the event which contributes upwards of £25 million ($40m) to the sports revenues - though the organisers paid Ecclestone the fee for 2011 despite the event not going ahead.

source

Does not matter what Bernie thinks though. It´s up to the teams to decide this and i´m fairly sure they think about the people first rather then the money.

I hope they boycott it.

Yes, it will send out a clear message if the teams decide not to go. But would sponsors be willing to compromise?

It's potentially a lot of exposure lost on the weekend of the race, especially in a relatively new market area for Formula 1.

But I do hope they boycott it, I just don't see it happening unless the riots start again.

Of course, if they would have accepted the refund they would surely be off the calendar this year. Was a "nice gesture" that was immediately picked up by the media, surprise surprise :)

What does Bahrain add? Nice track? Lots of visitors? Great country for the visiting fans from abroad?

Its a disgrace that real classic F1 venues like Spa-Francorchamps are in trouble while tracks like Bahrain pop-up on each global motorsport calendar.

Of course, if they would have accepted the refund they would surely be off the calendar this year. Was a "nice gesture" that was immediately picked up by the media, surprise surprise :)

What does Bahrain add? Nice track? Lots of visitors? Great country for the visiting fans from abroad?

Its a disgrace that real classic F1 venues like Spa-Francorchamps are in trouble while tracks like Bahrain pop-up on each global motorsport calendar.

They do have contracts you know :) Just because Bernie has to give back the money he never owned in the first place won´t make him remove a race he really wants on the calendar.

What does Bahrain add? Probably a bit of everything. It´s not only sand-n***ers there walking camels around but there´s a whole society there right in the desert. And some of them believe it or not are F1 fans.

Not sure SPA is in trouble even though they like to mention it every single year.

2000 - Belgium
2001 - Belgium
2002 - Belgium
2003 -
2004 - Belgium
2005 - Belgium
2006 -
2007 - Belgium
2008 - Belgium
2009 - Belgium
2010 - Belgium
2011 - Belgium
2012 - Yep you guessed it, Belgium next year aswell.

So just by looking at the numbers for the last 12 years i´d say SPA has not been replaced by another event since 2006.
Since 1985 SPA has been on the calendar every single year except for the two above.
And before 2003 it was held 18 years in a row.

P.S. Bahrain GP has been around since 2004.

Umm... you do know that they did not went there last year, because of stuff like this?
Bernie planned to give them the money back but Bahrain said no it´s ok, you can keep it.

As far as I remember, they didn't go last year in fear of personal safety, because of the riots.

I doubt they would avoid going there if it was only in solidarity for human rights etc.

But I hope you're right and it stops them from going...

As far as I remember, they didn't go last year in fear of personal safety, because of the riots.

I doubt they would avoid going there if it was only in solidarity for human rights etc.

But I hope you're right and it stops them from going...

If it were for personal safety then we would never see the Brazilian GP :) That´s a dangerous country.
Now that i think back i actually think it was Bahrain that made the decision, Bernie let them decide and most teams felt they did not want to go.

The other side of the coin:
Bahrain GP organisers say government has acted on human rights violations

Bahrain Grand Prix organisers have downplayed fears about the unrest in the kingdom following calls from human rights groups to boycott the event.
The Sakhir event is back on the calendar this year after last season's race was first postponed and then cancelled because of the political situation.
Over the weekend, human rights groups urged F1 teams to boycott the race in order to show they "respect human rights."
On Monday, however, Bahrain GP organisers moved to ease fears about the situation, saying the government has already acted to make sure no human rights are violated.
"Last year, the King of Bahrain commissioned an independent report into alleged human rights abuses, the findings of which were published in November," a spokesman for the Bahrain International Circuit said.
"The report found evidence of human rights violations and made certain general and specific recommendations. The Government has fully acknowledged the findings of the report and is acting swiftly and convincingly on the recommendations.
"The Bahrain Grand Prix forms a fundamental part of the local economy. It is supported by an overwhelming majority of people from all sections of society in Bahrain and represents a symbol of national unity.
"The independent report was a milestone for Bahrain and we will now work tirelessly to ensure that the race is a great success."
The Bahrain Grand Prix is scheduled for April 22.

autosport.com

If it were for personal safety then we would never see the Brazilian GP :) That´s a dangerous country.
Now that i think back i actually think it was Bahrain that made the decision, Bernie let them decide and most teams felt they did not want to go.

The other side of the coin:

Oh yes, didn't Bernie get mugged there 2 years ago?

Brazil doesn't have protests right outside the circuit every year though - unless I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Oh yes, didn't Bernie get mugged there 2 years ago?
Brazil doesn't have protests right outside the circuit every year though - unless I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Yea probably, i think some drivers have been be-stolen on stuff. Last time Bernie got mugged was in London i believe when he got a black eye.
You gotta give him respect for taking his black eye and turning it into a great advert :)

True, but neither do Bahrain :) It´s just since last year it has bubbled up, all the countries are watching Libya and wants to do the same thing, who can blame them really, i´m all for the people.

Yea probably, i think some drivers have been be-stolen on stuff. Last time Bernie got mugged was in London i believe when he got a black eye.
You gotta give him respect for taking his black eye and turning it into a great advert :)

True, but neither do Bahrain :) It´s just since last year it has bubbled up, all the countries are watching Libya and wants to do the same thing, who can blame them really, i´m all for the people.

Yes I agree that Bahrain didn't have protests before last year, but to me it's pretty clear that they've decided to use it every year as their target.

And how do they prevent any prospective troublemakers to enter the circuit? Could become a circus, like Marcus Horan or whatever his name was, at Silverstone 10-11 years ago. Only much worse, and with malicious intent.

But I'm all for more races - really hoping it doesn't get cancelled this year again.

Bahrain knows what to do, like last year. Yea same here, i actually liked watching the Bahrain GP, i did not like the bumpy infield but if im not mistaken that has been fixed some so that section is like a go-cart track now.

It´s better then China atleast :) I can appreciate the track´s very technical nature but for driving pleasure i´m not so sure about that one.
Also not really a fan of 1km long straights. Just a waste of tarmac in an F1 car imo.

Bernie should have listened to Fleetwood Mac:

Also Hampus: Spa is under threat of doing the same as Hockenheim&Nürburgring now with Paul Ricard in 2013. If someone wants Paul Ricard, they should place in on the calendar instead of Failencia, Catalameya or Borerain.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back