Team orders not longer forbidden in 2011

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
The ban on team orders in Formula 1 will be dropped from next season, the FIA announced following its World Motor Sport Council meeting on Friday. A number of changes were confirmed in the sporting regulations from 2011, and the governing body said the "article forbidding team orders (39.1) is deleted."

Source: Autosport.com

Good news for Ferrari :thumb:

Team orders are still not 100% allowed, they've just changed the rule paragraph reference to use the old paragraph 151c. Which means stewards are free to punish teams for issuing team orders if they are too blatant, like the Massa or Barichello incidents. If a team down the field decides to switch driver positions and not really affecting the race it's ok.

FIA said:
151. Breach of rules
Any of the following offences in addition to any offences
specifically referred to previously, shall be deemed to be a breach
of these rules :
a) All bribery or attempt, directly or indirectly, to
bribe any person having official duties in relation to a
competition or being employed in any manner in
connection with a competition and the acceptance of, or
offer to accept, any bribe by such an official or
employee.
b) Any action having as its object the entry or
participation in a competition of an automobile known to
be ineligible therefor.
c) Any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial
to the interests of any competition or to the interests of
motor sport generally.

I don't mind team orders, and I think it's good that they've been brought back because whether it's a small team order or not, it's still an order. What gets me is that some people totally disagreed about the Ferrari incident at Hockenheim and called it a disgrace, yet they were quite happy for Vettel to move over for Webber to win the WDC if they'd been running 1 and 2 with Alonso 3rd in Abu Dhabi.

Moving over is OK, blocking other teams isnt. I think thats the opinion the vast majority of race fans must have.... so this was a long time coming.

My opinion on team orders:
The driver's title is for the drivers, the constructor's title is for the teams. So the Hockenheim team order of Ferrari is an absolute non-sense. (as it didn't give Ferrari any + points, only affected the driver's championship), Red Bull is a whole different story as they never said to Webber that he should let Vettel pass.
But, team order is fine if the other driver behind is really a lot faster and maybe he could make some places up if the other driver of the team lets him pass. Well in this case of course he could pass the other guy normally, but there's no point taking the risk and have both drivers out of the race.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back