Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Russian Grand Prix Team Orders.jpg

Team orders reared their head once again at the Russian Grand Prix to leave a bad taste in the mouths of Grand Prix fans - do you think they have a place in Grand Prix racing?

With the title fight heating up heading into the final stages of the 2018 Formula One season, AMG Mercedes took the controversial decision to order Valtteri Bottas to give way to Lewis Hamilton this weekend, gifting Hamilton an uneasy victory and robbing the fans of a potentially much more entertaining Grand Prix.

Keeping Hamilton well ahead of Ferrari, the British driver is now 50 points clear with just 125 points left on offer, a win today in Sochi has been described as Hamilton's "least proud" race victory in his 11 year Formula One career.

With Mercedes now holding a commanding performance advantage over their Ferrari rivals, was the move to demote Bottas really necessary, and should it be allowed to happen in Formula One?

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

What do you think of the team order decision? Does a move like this have a place in F1? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I don´t like them but, F1 is a team based sport, it´s not an individualistic sport, teams has 2 cars for making more points, not for having 2 main drivers.

It's a competitive season. When you know how ruthless your main competitor is prepared to be, you have to be prepared to match them.

I mean I’m conflicted.
Team orders aren’t necessary a bad thing( look at force India in the race, that shows how they should be executed) but for that execution to be a thing team orders have to be fully legal really, and when they are people are ALWAYS going to exploit that.
It also must be noted that the current dirty air situation when cars are following and the stupid tyres that Pirelli bring( under FIAs guidance I must add) don’t allow racing. This means that even if Driver A ( seemingly Hamilton today) is faster, they simply can’t get past and the team has to introduce team orders. However, we will never know who was the faster car after all as Bottas was able to stick to Hamilton after the race.
Credit to Hamilton for his response, he seems genuinely upset at the whole ordeal while remaining human in the way he understands why the team did it for his champinship ( 2 race DNF buffer) as well as Bottas- this one is on Mercedes and the sport as a whole

Any sport is made of rules to be made or broken. That is the same for teams, they have policies enforced by rules.
Even on the street you cant go shoot someone and expect not to get caught by the police and probably go to jail. Its the consequence of your action.
So rules are part of society and the world we live in and sports like F1 are part of it.:mad:
I think some of the modern rules are stupid but i did not make them. In some ways they kill the sport. And in others they make it more civilized. Its all down to are you being penalized or is someone penalizing you. So it depends if the rule helps you or hurts you.

Why not?
Ferrari did pactice the team order all over the years and so distorted the Championship for that time.
But to race fair to see who will be the best, team order and specially team radio should be forbidden!

Mercedes has learned nothing from Ferrari in Austria 2002. While at that time they were full of criticism towards Ferrari as an engine manufacturer for having played teamorders so badly, they did the exact same fallacy today as a team.

No way Toto is going to leave sleep over it, but Bottas might reconsider his future.

I didn't like it, but there's no denying it was objectively the correct thing for Mercedes to do in order to maximize their chances in both Championships.

Seems clear Lewis didn't want to win like that, but going into Suzuka with a 50pt lead is pretty handy.

Mercedes have crossed the line this time around and I have no sympathy for them AT ALL, they deserve to be penalized for it, I dont care if they were racing for position they could have thrown that race away and still win the championship they deserve to face a grid penalty for the next race, sorry but I just had to state my mind!

Unfortunately there's no way of regulating it. They have been banned in the past and the teams still got away with using them
They could be penalized by taken all their points away they scored that particular race PLUS a huge fine. It means in the Sochi race that Mercedes is missing out on 43 points; I'm sure they'll be more careful next time.

They could be penalized by taken all their points away they scored that particular race PLUS a huge fine. It means in the Sochi race that Mercedes is missing out on 43 points; I'm sure they'll be more careful next time.
You then want rules to be changed on the fly? Unlikely.
If they explicity forbid team orders teams will just find another way to do it, they already talk in codes for many things, you cant just forbid it.

That said the orders are just done in the most ridiculous way they can find lol you can see team orders done in other series without people even noticing.

For as long as there are teams, there will be team orders.
Exactly! Get rid of the teams, this will never happen. But of course at the end of the day, its a bout money. If we have the choice, to make some people alittle happier, or make millions?...... well, someone might make the noble choice, but.... :)

You then want rules to be changed on the fly? Unlikely.
No, not on the fly, but as a standard rule.
If they explicity forbid team orders teams will just find another way to do it, they already talk in codes for many things, you cant just forbid it.
Yes, they can. They have onboard camera and telemetry afterwards to control things. It certainly is possible, but it takes way more effort for the stewards.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 88 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 62 6.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 126 13.7%