Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Ferrari Team orders.jpg

Charles Leclerc put up a late race challenge against his team mate, but suddenly dropped back - are team orders at play already?

Ferrari made no bones about the fact that they believe Vettel offers the best chance of a championship this season for the Scuderia, but is it wise, or even fair, to put all their eggs in one basket so early in the season?

Ok, Leclerc is a young newcomer and Vettel a 4-time World Champion, but surely it would be best to give both drivers an equal shot at taking the points and victories, for both the team and the sport itself.

What do you think about the use of team orders in F1? Do you even believe Ferrari deployed instructions to their drivers today, or did Leclerc just run out of pace at the end of the Grand Prix?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

For news, discussion and community, all with a overarching theme of Grand Prix racing - head over to the Formula One sub forum and get yourself involved.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

All I know is Scuderia is in a hole, yeah its the first go, but as practice shows, it means nothing.
Their pace is gonna have them going straight to immediate discussions and changes before Bahrain.

Team orders or not, the bigger question is pace.

Well that example.. not really. Max was 1.1 behind Lewis after closing in and being able to use DRS at 1.0. But Max by himself, went off and wide, then was 3.5 back, then clawed back to 1.4 behind Lewis towards the end.

So the chance to overtake was never there in the end.

Well you could submit an argument that Vettel lost the WDC last year due to Ferrari's failures at team orders, unlike Merc who used them a lot.
So i can understand why they have done it, LeClerc is young and in a great car / team, he'll not lose too much sleep over it i doubt.

It does show that when Bottas has the same kit as Lewis and no team orders, he has the beating of him...

I must say I admire the fact Vettel was happy with a young gun team mate in the first place.
Would never happen at Merc with Lewis there.
Lando, Max and Lance have proved that any number of kids who are in lower formula can get into an F1 car and do well, the fact Merc opted for an average driver like Bottas rather than a young gun is telling...

Something i picked up from the MotoGP commentary was the phrase:
"Young enough to not know what you can't do....."
The way 'kids' can drive / ride around problems in handling due to not knowing how it should feel in the first place...

Brilliant..... the champagne isn't even dry on Bottas's overalls yet...

Look, bottom line is if Lewis needs that bit of floor so much then it simply proves the very obvious point that his speed comes from the Merc....
Stick Lewis in the Williams.... he'll never see the top ten this season.....end of..
Bottas is faster than Hamilton, Leclerc faster than Vettel and Gasly faster than Verstappen. Probably many rokkies are faster than these guys and that's sport.

But here Hamilton is faster than Bottas, Vettel faster than Leclerc (or Raiko) and Verstappen faster than everybody, and it's called politic.

F1's politic world champion that's the real title they deserv. That's how you kill a sport.

View attachment 296944
Charles Leclerc put up a late race challenge against his team mate, but suddenly dropped back - are team orders at play already?

Ferrari made no bones about the fact that they believe Vettel offers the best chance of a championship this season for the Scuderia, but is it wise, or even fair, to put all their eggs in one basket so early in the season?

Ok, Leclerc is a young newcomer and Vettel a 4-time World Champion, but surely it would be best to give both drivers an equal shot at taking the points and victories, for both the team and the sport itself.

What do you think about the use of team orders in F1? Do you even believe Ferrari deployed instructions to their drivers today, or did Leclerc just run out of pace at the end of the Grand Prix?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

For news, discussion and community, all with a overarching theme of Grand Prix racing - head over to the Formula One sub forum and get yourself involved.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Speaking of team orders !

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing