F1 2013 Teach me how to choose the right gear!

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi everbody!

Because this Forum helped me so much with F1 2012 and now also with F1 2013 I've payed for it.
WORTH IT!
Great forum!

I got a question :

I drive in F1 2013 on Amateur (feeling the new Handling!) and got 1 question :

TEACH ME HOW TO FIND THE RIGHT GEAR!

I'm from Europe so my cars (Mercedes SLK) are not automatic so i know how to change a gear ;-)

But in F1 2013 i always take the wrong gear!

Changing the Gear UP isn't a problem (i hear the engine and see the LED).

My problem is to find the right gear DOWN!

There are 2 situations :

1 : my gear is to low = engine ist yelling
2 : my gear is to high = overtaking

How do you manage that?
Are there some "tips" how i can find the right gear?

Want to play more "realistic" :)

Thanks in advance and please excuse grammar errors
English isn't my first Language

You can try the manual & suggested setting from the assist option until you get the hang of it. Just go to TT and do a lap after lap and 20+ laps later you won't be thinking about it and just do it naturally.

In races sometimes a bit more flexibility is required. For example, sometimes I intentionally choose a higher gear than the optimum one for the corner to avoid wheel spin. But play more and try to improve and results will be there.

You could watch real life replays for the track you're racing at on youtube, use it as a guide. Generally though it is just something you will have to work out for every corner, of every track. It may change based on the condition of your tyres or the grip level of the track at the time.

There is no 100% rule and some drivers will use different gears for different corners, of course setup (gear ratios/downforce) will play a big role in this too. If you drive a few laps (10+) it should be obvious by then which gears work for which corners.

Get practicing, it will come natural after time.

Hi everbody!

Because this Forum helped me so much with F1 2012 and now also with F1 2013 I've payed for it.
WORTH IT!
Great forum!

I got a question :

I drive in F1 2013 on Amateur (feeling the new Handling!) and got 1 question :

TEACH ME HOW TO FIND THE RIGHT GEAR!

I'm from Europe so my cars (Mercedes SLK) are not automatic so i know how to change a gear ;-)

But in F1 2013 i always take the wrong gear!

Changing the Gear UP isn't a problem (i hear the engine and see the LED).

My problem is to find the right gear DOWN!

There are 2 situations :

1 : my gear is to low = engine ist yelling
2 : my gear is to high = overtaking

How do you manage that?
Are there some "tips" how i can find the right gear?

Want to play more "realistic" :)

Thanks in advance and please excuse grammar errors
English isn't my first Language

I learn gears for career mode in qualifying. The best way is not to do it by knowing what gear you're in (ie thinking okay I'm in 5th and I need to go to second-click, click, click) but rather do it by touch. After 8-10 laps in practicing, you shift down with your fingers automatically and you don't need to think about it. Practice makes perfect.

I'd suggest turning off those gear indicators as you don't need them. Only pollutes the screen.

Getting the right gears for me is a matter of getting lots of track time on the circuit (experience) plus using your ears.

At some point you know when the engine is hitting the rev limiter just by listening to it and the same goes for downshifting.

Don't use only the brakes to slow down but try to downshift (rapidly but not too fast to avoid the rear axe from locking and causing you to spin :)) while keeping the revs up. This way you are taking maximum use out of the enginebraking.

Of course the above only works with all driver helpers turned off. ABS, Traction control etc etc will not help anybody in the end while trying to learn how to control their car.

Experience and Ears :thumbsup:

As Bram stated, it's just about getting in track time and practice above anything else.
Not really much we can do to help. Just practice and more practice.

Watching the real life onboard laps can also help.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 128 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 472 38.9%