TDF Info

From http://www.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/29248-sandtraps.html
I did something similar to this to the gravel on Nikko, It's real easy and is in the tdf file. But you need to edit it manually with notepad. Be aware though, each time you export the track from BTB it will overwrite the file if you have it set to clear folder, so make sure to back up any editing you have done to it.

What you are after is the Sink value.

Have a look at the comparison of these two entries in the tdf file, one is normal hard gravel (grvl) the other is a deep loose gravel trap (gtrp). I have set bold the values of interest.
----------------------------------------------------------
Here is the original grvl (gravel)
// Gravel
[FEEDBACK]
Dry=0.75 Wet=0.60 Resistance=5000.00 BumpAmp=0.022 BumpWavelen=10.0 Legal=false Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=0.8 Sparks=0 Scraping=0 Sink=0.017 Sound=gravel
Reaction=dust Tex=Dustroad.tga Max=128 Scale=(1.0,1.0,1.0) Growth=(4.0,3.0,2.0) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
//Reaction=dirt Tex=Dustroad.tga Max=128 Scale=(0.5,0.5,0.5) Growth=(0.8,0.8,0.8) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Reaction=softskid Tex=skidbrown.tga Max=1024 Pixel=NoReduceDetail Particle=Plane+Deformable+SingleSided DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Materials=grvl
------------------------------------------------
Here is the original gtrp (Gravel Trap)
// Gravel Trap
[FEEDBACK]
Dry=0.75 Wet=0.60 Resistance=50000.00 BumpAmp=0.070 BumpWavelen=3 Legal=false Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=2 Sparks=0 Sink=0.02 Sound=gravel
Reaction=dust Tex=Dustroad.tga Max=128 Scale=(1.0,1.0,1.0) Growth=(4.0,3.0,2.0) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Reaction=softskid Tex=skidbrown.tga Max=1024 Pixel=NoReduceDetail Particle=Plane+Deformable+SingleSided DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Materials=gtrp
--------------------------------------------

What concerns how a gravel or sand trap works is Resistance, BumpAmp, BumpWavelen, CollFrict and Sink.

If you want more resistance, increase the Resistance value (how hard it is to push through the gravel/sand)
If you want big bumps, increase the BumpAmp value (bump amplitude is the height of the bumps) Decrease for smaller bumps.
If you want longer bumps, increase the BumpWavelen value (the length of the bumps) Decrease for shorter bumps.
If you want it to slow you down faster, increase CollFrict (collide friction, I'm not 100% sure what this does but going by it's name, I think it is how fast it slows you when you are moving)
If you want it deeper, increase the Sink value (how deep the car sinks into the gravel).

Good info there^^^^
I was just messing around with TDFs and seeing that there isn't a whole lot of info on the TDF file. Sure there are comments in the file but those are hardly comprehensive. I figure we might as well put it all in one place. Here's what I found out:
ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) //(Attack,Sustain,Decay)
I assume the other variables (Scale, Growth) are defined in the same format.
Does anyone have information on the shader bits in the tdf. I need to get a shiny/reflective skidmarks and groove.

I'm pretty sure Wet & Dry is a percentage. (Of tire grip?)
"Max=" has to do with the length an effect is visible, not sure what unit it has.
Always seems to be of 2^n values. Pixels?
"Sound=" the name of the wav file in *\rFactor\GameData\Sounds\Default

I did this to the dust on the gravel in Nikko so when you spin the wheels in the gravel it would create dust.

I don't claim to know exactly how all this works, I have only found these values from trial and error. It is possible I have not done things 100% correctly so please only take this advice as a suggestion and not a fact.

Original;
// Gravel
[FEEDBACK]
Dry=0.75 Wet=0.60 Resistance=5000.00 BumpAmp=0.022 BumpWavelen=10.0 Legal=false Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=0.8 Sparks=0 Scraping=0 Sink=0.017 Sound=gravel
//Reaction=dirt Tex=Dustroad.tga Max=128 Scale=(0.5,0.5,0.5) Growth=(0.8,0.8,0.8) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Materials=grvl

Dusty;
// Gravel
[FEEDBACK]
Dry=0.75 Wet=0.60 Resistance=30000.00 BumpAmp=0.050 BumpWavelen=10.0 Legal=false Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=1 Sparks=0 Scraping=0 Sink=0.017 Sound=gravel
Reaction=tiresmoke Tex=DustBrown.tga Max=1024 Scale=(1.0,1.0,1.0) Growth=(4.0,3.0,2.0) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Reaction=dust Tex=Dustroad.tga Max=1024 Scale=(1.0,1.0,1.0) Growth=(4.0,3.0,2.0) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Materials=grvl

Good idea about the tire smoke.

It's funny how one notices something a day or two later when one is no longer trying to work out a problem...
In ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5), ASD means Attack-Sustain-Decay. So I'd expect the first number will control how much effect is initially thrown up, the second controls how big it gets, and the third is how long it lingers. Will experiment and report back with results...

ASDEnvelope Results

The first number, Attack, does indeed control how much gets thrown into the air, almost like a velocity parameter.
The second number, Sustain, is how long the effect lingers in the air before the decay is applied, probably in seconds.
The third number, Decay, is how long before the effect dissipates once the Sustain value is reached, probably in seconds.

Where I wanted more dust in the air if a car drops a tire off the pavement, I set the ASDEnvelope=(10.0,1.0,10.5) and it seems to do the trick. That plus the tire smoke effect, where I did not change the ASDEnvelope (otherwise you'd just have a really thick dust cloud!).

been playing with these same values myself over the past few days. for dust/gravel im runing ADS of 3.0,0.8,8 and seems to work nice for my setup

i cant seem to get my rumbl strips to tyre smoke much, but that wouldve only been a bonus, my main goal was to get the dust right

good times

cheers
ed

I think this is a very old post, but this might be useful:
"MAX=" stands for Max number of this texture.
If you are using 256 or something else which is low, rainspray for example will appear in a normal way, but if you're driving with more than 10 cars for example, the texture appears more than 256 times ant then, it disappears much too early.
Looks like if the textures are somehow cut off.
If you're using higher values (i'm using 5000), this doesn't happen and everything is looking smooth and beautiful :wink:

For more dust I put TopSpeed=30 after the Max=xxx section. That way dust is created earlier and more realistically.

EG

Reaction=dust Tex=Dustroad.tga Max=1024 TopSpeed=30 Scale=(1.0,1.0,1.0) Growth=(4.0,3.0,2.0) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 505 39.0%