TC65 Mod @ Portland 70 - Tues 19th Jan 2010

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyertc65.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPT.COM TC65
Class: TC65 Mods (Toyota Corolla + NSU TT)
Track: Portland 70
Start Time: 20.00 GMT
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min (1 timed lap only)
Race: 2 x 16 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: as the TC65 mods are now back on the server, it's time to try them out :)
Note3: You must choose a different make of car for each race, but the order you use them doesn't matter.

I know we're not really supposed to discuss laptimes but I'd be interested to know ballpark times or at least the difference between both cars Amir, I've tested both cars using the sets I posted in setup forum and I'm actually marginally quicker, by a few tenths, in the Corolla than the NSU on them.

Sam

I used to hate the Corolla...
Now I am seriously thinking about choosing it for the upcoming league. Sam's setup for the rolla is freakin amazing!! It's so easy to drive at the limit and it never bites you for it. Just wonderful. It bested my own setup's time by an average of 1.5 seconds!!! (but I'm an amateur at setting up cars)

And the TT's setup is great too, bested my times by .5 seconds on average.

I also found the rolla slightly faster than the NSU. Boy was I surprised, considering how much I used to despise the rolla before getting Sam's setup.

If you aren't so great at setting up cars in GTL and you have not tried these setups, you are doing yourself a great disservice!

I know we're not really supposed to discuss laptimes but I'd be interested to know ballpark times or at least the difference between both cars Amir, I've tested both cars using the sets I posted in setup forum and I'm actually marginally quicker, by a few tenths, in the Corolla than the NSU on them.

Sam
well i am such a... i totaly forgot that the toyota has 5 gears and used only four:) did some laps now and found out that the times are about the same about 1'28'5 at my case. hope it's no secret. looking fwd to the races tonight last race here was very good.

Francesco - I will direct you here : http://www.racedepartment.com/gt-legends/25214-gtl-windows-7-a.html

as some of the other drivers have been having some issues with Win 7 - check that thread out, and post any issues you might have in there, please.
Thanks!
I read all this topics to install correctly GTL and it seems working well. I tested online yesterday I didn't have any mismatch... :D

Can I use for the races the Alfa and the Corolla??? Or must I choose only between the Corolla and the NSU???
And where I can find the pass??? I click on the link in the first post but it said: "Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Thanks for the answer :)

Well that was an insane evening, I can't write a full report as i need to watch the replay of race two since it was a total blur. All I know is that Sam's setups were in a class of their own adn made the cars a total dream tonight. So thanks for them.

Race One - NSU, The car was damn quick and I was having a good battle with Carlos but I forgot that i'd received an SNG and I was DQ'd, shame cas i was really enjoying the car/track.

Race Two - Incredible battle with Amir at first with Gary then Joining us. I tried every which way to pass Amir but it wasn't happening, I eventually left the door open for Gary and he slipped past. However they managed to tangle a lap or so later and I took the lead. I thought that was that but Gary and Amir made a Lazerus like comeback to make the last few laps truly epic. Finished off with a crazy close drag to the finish and I think we have the perfect race.

Thank Stu and RD, well done all. Great evening.

race one- a race to forget.
race 2- i was surprised to find myself qualifyinhg 4th i think. i don't like the corola at all. then the race had a good srart manged to pass tom and got up to first. tom was chasing me hard but i manged to hold my position. then gary joined and the battle was tough. at one point gary passed tom and was right on me. he managed to pass in one turn but in the next turn i had a better line. we both hit each other and tom got passed. from then on it was a suprb race to the finish the three of us had a great fight all the way to the finish and tom won it , very good race tom and gary.
after the race gary said something about me bumping him. i didn't watch the replay but even if i was"guilty" it still dosen't matter because it is all for fun and that's why i play gtl. i raced you many times gary and it was always tough and clean. so let's forget this incident and move on to another race.

Really enjoyed both races in both the cars,maybe enjoyed the Corolla a bit more,but i didnt have the luxury of Sammy setups tonight,just good old Lenno slider bar specials :p.
I just went and looked at the replay Amir,and all i will say on the subject is you were fully correct to wait for me to recover ahead,i played no part in the contact at all m8,ofcourse its a normal racing incident and forgotten. :).

Big Thanks Thommo & RD

Wish I had noticed Carlos's heads up on Sam J's setups before the race, anyway I'll know for next time. (will try them out anyway). With my own setup I had drivable cars but was a couple of seconds off pace.

Overall, enjoyed first event in GTL, thanks RD and Stuart.:)

Well, as I said in chat ahead of the event, I am going through a change in controls - I'm moving from having the gearstick, set sequentially, on the right of the wheel, to being on the left (correct) side and using the H gate (it's the rF Caterhams that have prompted the change, oddly enough) - and it bit me a couple of times. Still, I managed to have huge fun in these 2 cars.

When I got it right (generally when the track was fairly empty and I could concentrate on the shifting) I was OK and on pace, but once in the heat of battle and I had to concentrate on avoiding people as well as driving, the old habits got me into a few spots of bother, reaching with my right hand for a gear stick that wasn't there, trying to push the stick in 3rd for a sequential drop to 2nd, and the stick not moving, all that jazz.

It's a learning curve, and I'm going to put the time in to get it so it feels natural, comfortable and instinctive enough so it doesn't cause problems.

All that aside, I think I still prefer the TT to the Corolla with the setups I'd managed to cobble together. Both races were very good fun, even if they didn't quite go according to plan for me on the results side, but as we all know that is not really what Club Racing is about, and so I had my battles with whomever I was closest to at the time, and it was, as always, colossally grin inducing.

Thanks all for turning up, and it sounds like you enjoyed it, so it was all worthwhile :D

One more thing, just a reminder about the qualifying rules when it's flagged as a single timed lap:

This means you get your outlap, your hot lap, and an inlap or quit to garage lap.

If you stuff up your hotlap (crash / spin / cut track), that is tough luck.

You do NOT keep going until you get a time.

What a night, everything was against me. Great racing as always, I found ways to make troubles for myself... lol.
I got a new monitor (thanks again, Bro), nothing on my desk is in the right place. I thought, "oh go for it"...(cleaned that up a touch). XD was blocking the mirror... (don't worry, all sorted now). I kept reaching for my mouse, on my left... (yep, its now in the more conventional position. on my right).
I got through the first race, not entirely without trouble... lol.
The second race, starting from pole... what could possibly go wrong... I started the race, with three laps of fuel. Thought to myself, "time to give up, n wait for another opportunity.. lol.

Grats to the podium and all other finishers, in both races. Thanks to Thommo n RD, spot on gents.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 428 16.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 286 11.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 280 10.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 193 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 327 12.8%