Tc65 - Lotus Cortina @ Anderstorp - Thu 6th Dec

flyertc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: TC65 - Lotus Cortina (default)
Track: Anderstorp - (default) We are using the North and South layouts

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (23 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 21.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.30 (23 laps)

Note 1: Default Skins that come with the car only ( Default list ).
Note 2: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 3: Race 1- North track / Race 2 - South track

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Ross McGregor
  2. Senad Subasic
  3. Rupe Wilson
  4. Knut Omdal Tveito
  5. Rokas Charlapavicius
  6. Stefan Woudenberg
  7. Jack Smith 1
  8. Hans Sneep
  9. Philip Brown
  10. Leszek Porzezinski
  11. Warren Dawes
  12. Peter van Zanten
  13. Alberto Tescara
  14. Stuart Thomson
  15. Roland Warmenhoven
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
Rules:

This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Bucketloads of fun for me this mornin. :D
Just proves that default cars on default tracks can produce some of the closest racing. The Cortina is a lovely balanced car in default setup, so everyone was going to be very close in speed, however these tight little tracks certainly added to the challenge.

Race 1: I fluked pole in Qualy but only just ahead of Alberto. Of course, the really quick guys (Leszek & Knut) decided to start at the back. I was surrounded by the usual suspects (although Alberto was an unknown to me), so I slipped Roland a small fee to jump Carlos at the start and try to box him in while I might make a getaway. In true mercenary style, Roland did just that :thumbsup:, and dropped into P2 behind me. From there I was able to pull a nice lead and take a comfy win while others battled away.

WD to Carlos and Roland for the podium.

Race 2: This one was much more fun. I decided to join the gang at the rear and look for some close action. I got that in spades.
I quickly moved up to the mid pack, but not due to any classy passes, just dodging the carnage as it appeared. In some cases, it was like the Red Sea parting. After that it became a case of patiently waiting and hoping the guy in front made a boo boo (passing here was no easy task). Had a few great laps behind Stephan with Ole Marius hounding my tail. Later we both caught Alberto and had many tight, close, clean laps together. Ole Marius was clearly a bit quicker ( I kept hoping we'd find some wet gravel to use our Rallying skills :p), and finally he found a nice clean pass. He then immediately followed that with a lovely outside pass on Alberto (something I couldn't achieve) and cleared off.
Later on, Ross loomed onto my tail as we both pressured Alberto who seemed impervious to pressure. With only a lap or so to go, poor Alberto had a nasty (but most spectacular) opposite lock slide across the track and somehow missed Ross and I. :confused:. I then had to fend off Ross to take P3.

Grats to Stuart for the big win, and WD to Ole Marius for P2 (impressive driving :thumbsup: ).

Overall, it was great to see so many new drivers (or returning) in our GTL Club. This should give GTL a revival at RD. For me, the drivers around me were really good, very clean, always giving room, and despite the closeness and competitiveness, not one touch or scrape. Special thanks to Alberto, Stephan, Ole Marius, and Ross for good clean racing. :)

Well had great fun with my first GT Legends Club event.
Although it seem all a bit late for me (second race) I really enjoy these cars and the 1 lap qualy which does and doesn't help me (I am not a 1 lap wonder...uh.. not any lap wonder). :D
The first race started somewhere midfield and had more offtrack fun than on track fun which thew me back the field a LOT. :D Not really had any battles as every one was just to quick for me.
In the second race I had a good pace to hold position pretty long and it was tough to pass anyone and not the easiest to pass me. :roflmao:
In lap 9 Philip dived on the inside and went a bit too wide and made me go into the barrier as I was running 6th. I waited for the whole field to pass to make a safe return to track and tried to catch up to the back of the field. A few laps before the finish Stuart passed me and half lap later he passed the guy in front of me (sorry don't know the name as I don't have the names up on screen). Hed drove a red car as me and I passed him in the 3rd corner, but fell bad for him as he had really slowed down to let Stuart pass, so just before the finish I decided to let him pass me on the finish. A Schumi / Barrichelo Austrian GP finish :)

Thanx to all guys in this event and the orginasation for this great event. :thumbsup:
See you guys probably next week again! :)

I missed all the aggro in both races that Rupe saw and was involved in at the time, but I've since viewed the replay.

Let's face it gents - some of it wasn't our finest hour, was it?

As I said on TS, we're all actually in bedrooms, front rooms, kitchens, sheds or toilets (?), driving imaginary cars round pretends circuits. There's nothing at the end of these races, so why treat it like anything other than fun?

If you're involved in something, then follow these simple rules: wait safely, rejoin safely, give places back - you are not actually losing anything.

Racing Room is to be given from the front and rear drivers, but people behind can't just plonk their nose into someone's rear quarter under extra late braking and expect the driver in front to know that it's happening after they've started their turn in. If it's done deliberately to lever them off, then it's even worse.

Onto the races, R1, got a decent start up from mid pack into P4 and started trying to reel in Carlos & Roland who were at it hammer and tong, but no contact that I could see. At one point, you could have dropped a medium size towel and covered all 3 of our cars. I got a great run out of the second last corner on Carlos, and tried to keep it going through the last turn but got a bit of a bumpjump off the kerb and spun off onto the inside grass under power, where I came to a sudden, pitwall assisted halt. My steering was a bit bent after that, causing a few more excursions and a very variable laptime. Good fun though.

R2 was a very different proposition. Once I'd quallied on pole, I knew I had a decent chance of the win as I always quali with my race fuel in, so knew that my pole time would be my race lap time, and that proved to be the case. Got a good start, and gradually pulled away into a slowly increasing lead. I held it until the end, with everyone I was going to lap letting me by nice and safely. I was ready to to wait until after the Gislaved bridge Rupe, no need to jump out of the way where you did, but full marks to Stefan for giving it back on the line. I was surprised at my pace, and my relative pace tbh, but something about gift horses and mouths.

As I also said on TS, sometimes you need an event like this to remember what fun these ultra short, sub-1min tracks can be in the right circumstances.

I couldn't work out how close the 2nd place car was to you Stuart so thought it was best not to get in the way as you was showing good pace at the speed you was catching me
I wasn't feeling my best last night, having a bad week again:( but life goes on:)
I didn't want to have a moment and get in the way..or worse knock you off track:redface:
It was also a nice gesture from Stefan to let me back through,:thumbsup: even when you'd had a visit to the barriers yourself and had to let the whole field pass..

I've been trying many times now to write a good report. But it always ends up over-enthusiastic. I've really been struggling to find any fun in simracing (not the same as simrallying!) for about half a year now. And this was really somewhat a last desperate chance for me to try to go back to the fun in it. With the gentleman attitude, open community and not always having the cars with most power or artificially making the cars "similar" in performance.

And even though I got a stupid DNF in the first race due to me not knowing anything about the pit procedure in GTL, I don't remember last time I've had such fun, and so much tight fighting. And the only time I made contact was on the start/finish-straight in race 2, when Stefan made a little mistake, and i gently gave him a little bump.

It was an awesome evening! :D

Shedloads of fun indeed these were, so there's little I can add to this..
I've been completely unaware of sub par driving standards until after both races and only uploaded my replays to cater for people who didn't get any. Not to make any point at all.
And while there definitely is quite some competitive spirit in me, I like to think that - to quote another well-known simracing website- It's not the destination but the drive there.
I get most (nope, I can't say ALL ;)) of my fun out of driving my virtual laps among other friendly simracers and while finishing with a really good result may will enlarge the smile on my face, it's the on-track action that will put it there in the first place.

I do recognise that the high driving standards we try to uphold here at the GTL Club are not as self-evident in some other Clubs at RD hence they may not be as obvious to new drivers to our club, but I do applaud the extra mile the GTL Staff is willing to go to uphold them.:thumbsup: Having said that, I must admit to falling short on occasion myself..:whistling: don't we all sometimes..

So to anyone new to this, please don't feel intimidated by what may seem like unparalelled high demands regarding driving styles and etiquette, it really is nothing alien (as that would instantly disqualify my sorry ass:laugh::roflmao:) and anyone looking for clean, fair and highly entertaining club racing in a nearly unlimited variety of (semi-) classic automobiles, should be able to find just that right here.

My own two Cortina races were highly entertaining, close fun crowned with a great result (Race 1) and highly entertaining close racing fun clouded by some overeager silly mistakes hence a not too great result. (Race 2) But tremendous fun nonetheless, and I think I didn't obstruct anyone with my offtrack wanderings. If I did however, don't hesitate to throw it in my face:D

So...
Thank you to Rupe and RD for bringing this event, and to all the folks I raced with. Hope to CYA soon.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 323 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 458 39.3%