The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyer_alfa.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: TC65 Alfa Romeo GTA
Track: Ahvenisto / Birmingham Long
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min
Race: 18 laps - The above session timetable will be used for both races.

Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins only.

I'll be back, and next time I'll try and learn the track beforehand!

That usually does help :) Wish I did the same for Ahvenisto. What a gorgeous track this is! Allmost got seasick to all elevationchanges. As one said in the chatbox: ideal for Elite (SprintPack)
The race: After a few laps I knew which corner I had next, but offcourse I was a lot slower then most of you (front driving 1.34, me driving 1,37)
Had some good fun with Avi and Matt, but Matt regained his focus and got away. Avi and I switched positions as we both got problems with that tight right-hander before the straight. At the end I was driving a few seconds in front of him, but the distance was closing as I tried to check on my LCD in which lap we were driving (bad idea as there isn't that much straight on Ahvenisto).

Birmingham:
I knew this track from the Muscle car event, but it's something completely different in the GTA: it actually seems to be faster. By this I don't mean the laptimes or the straight top speed, but the feeling in those corners. Especially the chicane which you take flatout - feels great! It took me a while to force myself not to brake to hard in all the corners, as the GTA doesn't have a 5l V8 under the bonnet to regain the speed. Only 1 exception for this: entering the corkscrew: now just this was where I lost control and ended up with my engine on fire :( Apparently in order to save some weight someone had removed the fire-extinguisher: Game-over.

A lot of frustration on my side of the pc as at the moment I was just beginning to gain some distance on Avi.

I'll be beter prepared next time.

Well, that was a night. :good:

The Alfa is such an unfettered delight to drive that, to get the most out of it, the tracks you're on have to be interesting, otherwise you are wasting it's potential.

I think it's safe to say, without too much fear of contradiction, that the two courses last night were the ideally suited to the Alfa's playful spirit, and the whole sum added up to a couple of hours of ridiculously good fun. I'd like to thank everyone who turned up last night for a great evening of racing.

Ahvenisto
This was a new course to me - I'd read about previous events on it, saw that there were a lot of times for it on NoGrip (lots of times means it's used a lot, so that's an empirical stamp of any-goodness right there). It looked tight on the LOD map, but once I got on it and saw the elevations, and threw the Alfa round it, up it, over it and under it, I was totally sold on it.

In both races, Sam was in a different class, but it was really tight behind him between Croucher, Amir & myself. Quallied P3 I think, I was in P2 for parts of Quali, but Croucher did a last minute gazumping by less than 0.1 sec.

In the race, we pretty much got off in order, Sam, Croucher, me, Amir - Sam started pulling away a bit, but the next three of us were pretty much nose to tail until Croucher had a moment, putting me up to second for a few laps, with Amir close behind. I think Amir will admit I was just a little bit faster (0.3 - 0.5 or so per lap) and so I built a little lead of 3 sec or so, but I switched off for a second, and a bump in a braking zone threw me off the track, allowing Amir through and putting me about 5 sec behind- this was on about lap 8 or so (I think). Well, despite losing a place, this was the best part of the race for me, as I was slowly but surely reeling Amir in, but only by the same sort of margins as above, so it was inch by agonising inch. If I was in 2nd, there would have been nothing to chase, as Sam had crossed the eveent horizon where he was out of sight, Ahvenisto havign a distinct lack of long straights for Sam to come into view.

It was both exciting and interesting, because ignoring the overall chase, I could see Amir being faster over some parts of the lap, I was faster over others, he approached some corners one way, I approached if differently, and yet the two approaches were pretty much leading to almost identical times. T1 & T2 being a prime example - I was going through them on a feathered 3rd gear from T1 entry until almost the apex of T2, where I lifted a bit on the crest to allow the rear to drift a bit, and then accelerated again once I was straight. Amir seemed to brake a bit harder going into T1, drop to 2nd, accelerate harder between T1 & T2, brake again, and then floor it in 2nd out of T2. Completely differing approaches, but virtually no differences in time.

It was literally the last tight corner onto the final S/F sweep where I properly caught Amir, but he took the correct tight line across my nose, not allowing me to creep up the inside. If it had been a genuine straight, I think I would have had the drive to beat him on the line, but as it was a curve there was no way I was getting through. I lifted a bit to avoid any last corner taps, which unsettled me a bit and sent me wide, but still was brilliant fun.

Birmingham
It's no secret I hugely rate and enjoy this track, and I totally agree with Kris, it felt faster in the Alfa than it did in the Muscle cars. The Alfa is so well balanced (Thanks again to Sam for such a stable setup) and nimble, it becomes more of a momentum circuit where keeping the pace up through the twisty bits is crucial. I've never not had fun at B'ham, but this may well be the best it's ever been. :good:

Quallied P2 and again we got off pretty much in order. I managed to keep Sam honest for a lap or two, but then he started to open out a gap, again with me, Amir & Croucher pretty tight behind. I slowly pulled away from Amir, but after a few laps I locked up into the "Corkscrew" and slid through, allowing Amir to nip into P2. Again the chase was on, but I was making quicker headway here, and had all but closed the gap within 2 or 3 laps, and some great dicing was on the cards.

Unfortunately we were denied this as Amir had a freeze, while I was right behind him, him suddenly stopping and shaking in the middle of the braking zone. I tried desperately to avoid him but had no chance, and I clipped his rear quarter - sorry mate. He immediately said "Freezed" in chat so I carried on, feeling a bit cheated that we didn't have our racing. Amir said pretty much the same afterwards too. :good: It went a bit quiet after that until I managed to accidentally drop from 5th gear to 2nd instead of 3rd (it may have been the shifter, it may have been me, so no finger pointing at the hardware :D) at the downhill lefthand T1. My rears locked up and threw me across the track, allowing Croucher to get past. This was on lap 17 of 18 :doh: :D.

I closed from about 3 sec down to less than a sec by the end of the race, but I'd just given myself too much to do because of my mistake.
And yet, again, it didn't really matter because I was having so much fun while doing it that the result was secondary to the fun, which is exacctly what Club events are for.

Thanks to all who turned out, I hope you had as much fun as I did.

And for those of you who saw my chat regarding my thoughts about the RDHGP League after next - Please keep it to yourselves. :wink2:

:nopics::laugh2:
great report stuart. it was a great race . fair and hard although i must say that at the first race after you had that incident and i got by i wanted you to catch up so i wasnt trying too hard. after you caught up it was a blast.
as for the 2nd race it was gr8 until i had this freeze. today i will get a diffrent graphic card and maybe this will finally solve my problems/ thx for sam for the setup and the good advices about my freeze issue. hope to see some pictures .

• Matt Crouch

my graphics switch was also from an nVidia (8800GTS) to a 4870 :heh:. Been running good so far with the anti-aiasing forced to the highest possible value :D. AA seems to have no impact on my framerate at-all. Probably helps that I'm only running 1360x768 though and there's a whole 1GB vram.

Race 1.. Pretty sure I was never in front of you Stuart except on the grid ;). After a couple of laps I just failed to fight the tendancy to oversteer coming up that hill when I lost it, putting me back behind Avi and Kris. Got past Kris but it was more of a fight to get past Avi who, when I finally got a good run past, unfortunately slid a bit into the front of me. I couldn't tell so I waited for a bit before being told to go, got back past Kris and lapped on my own for a bit.

Managed to lose it another couple of times but there was a big enough gap that I was still on my own by the end :)

Race 2. Someone was playing silly beggars with my connection. Whenever I started to catch Amir (who was mostly faster anyway) my ping would shoot up so I didn't try to get past until the freeze. Nearly messed it up on the final corner but had enough of a gap again ;)

You guys are making me seriously :freaked-out:,and an :embarassed: old :hippie: with all these compliments, I do this to have fun, and I am, bigtime.

The races last night were on tracks I have had an awful lot of time on in rFactor before they were brought over to GTL so I definatlely knew my way round and I seem to do well on technical tracks anyway, the Alfa tends to lend it's self to my "drive it like you stole it" attitude too :) so I had a great couple of races, all be it out front, as Stuart has already said I was kept honest at both in Quali and for the first few laps until you guys fighting allowed me to get away, thanks for everything chaps and may the love continue to be spread around for a long, long time.

Sam

I've just looked at the timing pages for Tuesday's events - my, Amir's & Croucher's best times are really close, which reflected the races :good:

Ahvenisto:-
ST 1:34.015
MC 1:34.117
AM 1:34.206

Birmingham
ST 1:43.227
MC 1:43.756
AM 1:43.832

That's some proper close racing right there :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News