Take-Two Interactive To Purchase Codemasters

Nothing wrong in that purchase, and nothing special to expect. Take 2 bought a company with its IPs and its projects for at least the 5 next years. Codies will get more cash to work with (not more budget), so better conditions to work, so it should deliver better products. If take 2 expectations are met, we should be pleased by codies' future products.

It would be an absolute nonsense to buy a succesful company, with strong brands and IPs, and then to change all of its business model.

The real point is about the price. If codies previous owners managed to lie about the value of the company, inventing future high value projects, for sure in a few time take 2 will take radical decisions and change codies' business model. This happens regularly...

good time to buy I suppose
"success" of Pcars3 and Dirt5 have probably reduced price
These opus haven't really be taken in account. The price includes the cash entries from dirt 6 to dirt 11, dirt rally 3 to dirt rallly 6, and more substantially f1 2021 to 2025. And other codies' projects. This is how it works.

And codies probably have included the fact that with more cash they will be able to develop more games at the same time (dirt and dirt rally for example), to generate more cash each year. And they probably have foreseen to buy other franchises (indycar for example) to generate again more cash.
Take 2 bought codies for their expertise in the racing genre, so with more cash, for sure we will get more racing games.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what I think is on most peoples' minds. Is this good, or bad? Is Take-Two a good company? Are they another Ubisoft / EA? Will they ruin codemasters? Well there's always somebody to take their place...

I'm wondering what I think is on most peoples' minds. Is this good, or bad? Is Take-Two a good company? Are they another Ubisoft / EA? Will they ruin codemasters? Well there's always somebody to take their place...

I invested 60 euros in PC3, an arcade game I cannot use because it constantly crashes in VR. I hope they will fix it. If not, I don't care, too many better alternatives.

Last edited:
I invested 60 euros in PC3, an arcade game I cannot use because it constantly crashes in VR. I hope they will fix it. If not, I don't care, too many better alternatives.
arcade game and VR in same sentence, I feel like maybe your expectations where set correctly

we shall see what happens, eventhough EA produces lot of crap, every now and then they manage to get out a solid game.

It seems like they should be able to do a little bit of both. For example, in Dirt Rally 3.0 you should be able to go "hardcore" or "fun." I realize that they did that in Dirt 4 and not everyone was thrilled with it. It also doesn't help that if you play in "fun" mode you may get ridiculed for it.
The Dirt series is the "fun" mode. The Dirt rally series is the "hardcore" mode. Much easier and better this way. The fun game can focus on fun stuff. Jumps, pyro, colorful and exciting levels with cool stuff and not as much as a focus on a hardcore physics engine with a physical tire model, asphalt simulation, pooling water, dynamic weather. Leave that to the hardcore sim. It's better to have the two separate, and it's one of the reasons pc3 was such a flop. By one game trying to appeal to both styles of racing fans it didn't attract either of them. It needed to get more serious and own the project cars 3 tag or get less serious and call itself shift 3. The best of both worlds doesn't exist for this style of game.

Interesting

Ian Bell would make nearly 10billion, who cares if you make simcade or arcade at that point lol

Will 10 billion be enough for him to actually make a console ? Certainly would be enough to just chill out and live a nice simple life for next 500 years.

Last edited:

My thought is that Take-Two has made some of the most ridiculously exploitative, broken games in the recent decade, taking home-run licenses such as NBA and WWE and running them completely into the ground in broken shoddy messes completely loaded with extra fees for every single thing imaginable. Codemasters has been, for years, wildly hit or miss. Their games tend to be masterpieces that I haven't stopped playing since release, thoroughly mediocre and forgettable, or just straight up do not function on a base level.

Take-Two is extremely adept at making only that last category.

This feels like a nail through the coffin and impaling the corpse, to me, and it's a damn shame, because when Codemasters hits, they hit. It just hasn't happened in too long, and now I fear it ain't happening again.

I guess Codies have become hugely profitable and that's why EA made such a large bid.

I wonder where SMS fits into this - didn't Codemasters buy them out last year?

All these independant studios merging into one massive coporate entity is genuinely depressing - think of all the arcade durge that will be released under EA's direction.

All these independant studios merging into one massive coporate entity is genuinely depressing - think of all the arcade durge that will be released under EA's direction.
The only hope is that they did in the past release some not bad racing games culminating in the rather good F1C, the caveat being that was a very different era.

I guess Codies have become hugely profitable and that's why EA made such a large bid.

I wonder where SMS fits into this - didn't Codemasters buy them out last year?

Here in the States we have a lot of indignation over the big brewers buying up local microbreweries. However, what the smart ones do (like AB InBev) is not do anything with the brand and let the local guys have their freedom. They infuse capital and they expect a return on their investment.

In the gaming world, I think that MS Studios is a good example of this. They have done some great things with Minecraft, for example.

Hopefully, EA will follow suit with this. I realize that EA has a pretty bad track record. I've seen the jokes about F1 UT, etc. Will there be a lootbox to get an aero upgrade for the Williams?

I think that they've learned their lessons from Star Wars Battlefront 2. I also think that giant infusions of cash into development studios are generally good. Reiza could use this!

I think that they've learned their lessons from Star Wars Battlefront 2. I also think that giant infusions of cash into development studios are generally good. Reiza could use this!

When you look at how BFV turned out without any content MTX, and then looking and the yearly sport franchises there, and factor in that F1 and WRC will become a yearly EA Sport Franchise... Ugh.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 108 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 202 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 521 38.3%