Take-Two Interactive To Purchase Codemasters

The only hope is that they did in the past release some not bad racing games culminating in the rather good F1C, the caveat being that was a very different era.

Back then they had 2 completely different games for PC and console, they allowed ISI PC version a pretty long leash too, i don't think they'll go in this direction now.
Remains to be seen how EA will affect F1.

I guess Codies have become hugely profitable and that's why EA made such a large bid.

I wonder where SMS fits into this - didn't Codemasters buy them out last year?

All these independant studios merging into one massive coporate entity is genuinely depressing - think of all the arcade durge that will be released under EA's direction.
Codemasters has had 2 big companies trying to absorb them now, so they must be doing well.
SMS will be included, they are part of Codemasters, maybe the studio will be in charge of the Need for Speed franchise now.
Kinda of a going back to the beggining for them if that's the case.

Last edited:
Here in the States we have a lot of indignation over the big brewers buying up local microbreweries. However, what the smart ones do (like AB InBev) is not do anything with the brand and let the local guys have their freedom. They infuse capital and they expect a return on their investment.

In the gaming world, I think that MS Studios is a good example of this. They have done some great things with Minecraft, for example.

Hopefully, EA will follow suit with this. I realize that EA has a pretty bad track record. I've seen the jokes about F1 UT, etc. Will there be a lootbox to get an aero upgrade for the Williams?

I think that they've learned their lessons from Star Wars Battlefront 2. I also think that giant infusions of cash into development studios are generally good. Reiza could use this!
Agree. Last release from EA, star wars squadron, was quiet surprisingly good. At least for this IP they learn the SWBF2's lesson.

Might be because there's a lot more star wars fans than sim racers.
So it is easier to sell bad games to blind fans. You usually buy a company and its vision, so it's probable that codies products will keep on the same way but that EA will use the experience and the tools (madness engine & ego engine) of codies for other racing projects or fps (the old opefation flashpoint games made on the ego engine still looks good).

So it is easier to sell bad games to blind fans
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
The point I was making was that the huge numbers of those fans and their protests reached the ears of Disney, forcing a rethink from EA.
I doubt that sim racers are as numerous and considering EA's monetization practices with Madden and Fifa which also greatly outnumber us I'm not optimistic.
However I hope I'm wrong a d your version proves correct.

While I think the community would like to think EA learned something from BF2, I think what the learning went both ways. Expectations were reset and I think most gamers expect extra money grabs in games now. EA did not drop $1.2 billion without a plan to make even more.

True. However, it is worth noting that racing games have had a boost lately. To the point that Codemasters stock are valuated higher than EA.

No, the share price of Codemasters is higher, but EA's total stock is valued much higher then Codemasters.

EA's market cap is about $41 billion to Codemasters around $1 billion. You have to remember there are a lot more shares of EA out there then Codemasters.

If you own either stock, you should be happy right now. Both stocks have had been on a run.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing