The start

So with a P1-X rig in place, a decent 2080ti PC silently running in the background, triple monitors and a HTC Vive Pro VR headset on hand, I thought all was well in the world, but something was still missing from the emersion of any sim I loaded... at first I thought motion should be the port of call to bring things to life more, so with SFX-100 bits 3D printed the plan was motion all the way...

A spanner in the works...

However, searching through YouTube and Instagram, the old Buttkicker Gamer2 kept cropping up (at this stage I wasn't a RaceDepartment member and the genius that is @Mr Latte was unknown to me). So, a BK G2 was winging its way to me for testing / playing with, although not ideal for the P1-X rig it gave me insight and an understanding of tactile, by the way, a BK G2 can produce some decent energy, its like the metal arm it's connected to somehow amplifies the small transducer. It can rattle the P1-X but in a very broad and underwhelming way, it simply wasn't specific or concentrated enough to a specific area, that area being my butt / Sparco seat.

I'd thought about a way to connect it directly to the seat (while still allowing the seat to slide on the rails), but it just didn't seem like it was going to work, I'd also never considered having 4 Mini LFE's on the corners of the P1-X, especially after having the BK G2 connected to it, knowing how the rig just seems to dissipate the energy from the BK G2 I figured it would do the same to any other transducer I added to corners, it did make me wonder why SimLabs would sell special brackets for such things, but thats for another day. So the question was what to do now...?

RaceDepartment

Whilst browsing through Instagram I'd come across a guy posting pics of his rig build, a DM later he'd mentioned "exciters" that could connect directly to a hard shell seat vis its 3M VHB adhesive and within that chat a mention of @Mr Latte on the RaceDepartment forum... so after some reading of the 100 or so pages of the Tactile Immersion thread, the plan was formulated (from the bits I understood in and amongst the pages and pages of tactile discussions)... 8 x Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 transducers, 4 Douk Audio Nobsound Amps (NS-010G) and some isolation of the seat with the BK G2 being moved to the pedal plate and get that isolated somehow.

And it begins...

The exciters and amps arrived the next day (thanks to the might Amazon) and were played with on different surfaces to see what they could do. I was impressed with how they turned pretty much any solid surface in to a full range speaker, although this wasn't the purpose of them, it was impressive to hear it work, with the DAEX32EO-4 only being 40W I went with small 50W per channel Nobsound amps (NS-01G), no point in the 100w type with the exciters being so small. They are attached to the seat, as follows:

2 shoulders / wings (Left/Right)
2 at lower back / spine (Left/Right)
2 at bolsters (Left/Right)
2 under the seat (towards the front so as to be positioned near the front of the thighs - Left/Right)

General rig / setup as of 12th May 2020

Rig

SimLabs P1-X with Quad Monitor Stand
Sparco Evo II Seat
3 x Gigabyte Aorus 27" CV27F Curved (1500R)
1 x Dell 25"
HTC Vive Pro VR
Fanatec ClubSport V2.5
Fanatec Clubsport Formula V2, Porsche 918 RSR & GT Motorsport wheels
Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3
Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5
Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5
Button Box

PC
Overclocked (4.9GHz) i9 9900K
EVGA RTX 2080Ti 11GB
32GB DDR4
2 x 1TB SSD
Hardline Watercooled
SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Headphones

Tactile
Behringer NX3000D (3.5mm to XLR)
1x Buttkicker Concert (SpeakOn to Banana)
1 x Buttkicker Gamer2 (wired to SpeakOn)
4x Nobsound NS-01G
8x Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 Exciters
SimHub

It all seemed very promising...

So after some initial setup and playing with SimHub, I was up and running 6 exciters, Shoulders, Lower Back and Bolsters (all Left & Right) from my 7.1 sound card with the other 2 exciters (under the seat) running on a mono channel paired with the BK G2 at the pedals, 8 Custom Channels in all, on SimHub, not ideal with the G2 and the exciters under seat all firing on the same 2 channels at the same time but it was working none the less, I had 8 exciters and the G2 working.

Instantly it was far better than I expected, these small exciters were doing their job, there was a bit of a rattle at the shoulders from time to time and what I thought was the exciter "pang'ing" the seat shell, but once setup in SimHub there was clearly left and right channels working as I drove over bumps, curbs and so on... with the SteelSeries headphones the only thing I could hear was the sim (engine, road noise etc...) and I could feel the tactile, bumps and gear changes through the seat, it was immersive. Yes it was early days and it got better as I started to understand SimHub a little more and found the right volume in SimHub combined with the right amp volume, but I was just scratching the surface and I knew I could do better with a little guidance...

The generosity of strangers!

I needed help, and the person best to help would be the man who's very idea of small exciters had put me on this journey... @Mr Latte. His help has been instrumental in getting to the point of having the 8 exciters, a BK Concert and Gamer2 hooked up with the NX3000D and all running on different SimHub layers, those layers being complex and custom with Speed, RPMS, Road Vibration, Impacts, Wheelslip and Gear Change, all running to specific transducers and focusing on the Ferrari 488 in ACC (generally at Spa) so we have a baseline for constant comparison and feedback.

The exciters on there own are fantastic and as a budget solution are great, what stands out with them is the 40Hz and above range with specific body parts feeling the tactile / energy well, right shoulder, right bolster / thigh on a curb as you bump / run over it and so on.

With that said though, when adding the G2 at the pedals and the BK Concert attached directly to the seat... the immersion and range from 0Hh through to 200Hz is what I can only describe as overwhelming, but it a good way, almost overload on the senses, in a way that makes you laugh out load... my cheeks, chin and eye lids shaking as the 488 takes a corner at speed, leaving the 488 pulled over on the track and the engine idling, you would swear there was a car parked in the house.... without a shadow of a doubt.

So the BK Concert combined with the small tactile exciters works and works well, imagine the speed building from under the seat, to the lower back and bolsters then as speed builds it continues up the seat where at top end the shoulders are feeling the energy of it all... it is quite simply the missing link between the FFB from the wheelbase and the rest of your body, it makes such a difference to being immersed in the sim.

On from this came the isolation of the seat from the frame, to stop the energy (or reduce the energy) from passing to the rig frame and dissipating. This was the next big eye opener, feeling all that energy from 9 transducer stay in the seat took things up a level.

So this thread / post is all very generally at the moment and I'll certainly go in to more detail with those that would like to know more, there is still plenty to do, the pedal isolation isn't finished, nor is the seat isolation, by doing it all to this stage I can see how important it is to have the energy stay where I want it and not leak out (like a water leak would, given the chance), we want the energy to enter the body and our touch / contact points, not the P1-X frame.

I'll begin to post more pics and the odd SimHub screen shot as further progress is made and give greater insight in to my opinion of the setup working and its failings. This tactile combined with SFX-100 motion would be unreal.

79D957C3-D325-4598-AC92-228CAB026DAA.jpeg

C5CD7E35-0EC7-4F69-8DCE-A93E5FD81478.jpeg

Then came this purchase

C958AC2C-F5D2-45CF-8DC5-E2262414739D.jpeg

9366EE7B-4AF1-406C-B848-34BF91A0E881.jpeg

Monitors needed to be stripped back to cater for the increase height on the seat with the isolators.

2D5E288E-013F-4C1A-9EEA-B545FA0A159C.jpeg

Temporary isolation, some plates are required to cater for the 64mm rubber feet - This is a @Mr Lattee solution and it really does work.

207C6B17-112F-4582-A471-2A3F2CE041CE.jpeg

3679A825-F8E1-48CB-A862-3B049348B2B3.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing. It’s great to see so many thoughtful approaches to attaining the goal of convincing tactile experience.

I would also be very interested in seeing how you are configuring SIM and dividing the stimuli among these transceivers. Even though many of us have different configurations so probably wouldn’t use these profiles directly, I’m sure we could all learn from your thought process and experience.

Upvote 0
I have the same frame, pedals and seat. I was considering tactile a year ago when I got the rig, but got busy simply enjoying it. Just discovered this thread and this helps immensely. Ready to get to work with it this fall! ;)

Upvote 0
I have the same frame, pedals and seat. I was considering tactile a year ago when I got the rig, but got busy simply enjoying it. Just discovered this thread and this helps immensely. Ready to get to work with it this fall! ;)
Awesome, good to hear!! Keep us in the loop on progress and get a thread up! Not had any time in the last 4/5 weeks to do anything but got a few bits on order to progress with the rig!!

Upvote 0
Greetings! I’ve read through Mr Latte’s threads on this topic and most recently Codias’s. Great info and really appreciate the detailed write up. The cost of adding the tactile feedback starts out quite affordable with the implementation of the 8 Dayton exciters and the 4 Nobsound NS-01G amps. However, the addition of the 2 Buttkickers and the Behrenger 3000d really ups the ante.

That said, I’m wondering if anyone has come up with a somewhat more affordable solution for adding the additional tactile feel to the seat bottom and pedals plate?

I have an 8020 rig on order and am looking ahead to adding the tactile feel. Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Also, I was searching for an exciter that would work but that might also offer a bit more aesthetics. Not a deal breaker - but I did run across these:

Dayton Audio HDN-8 weatherproof sound exciter transducer.
HDN-8 Specifications: • Frequency response: 40–15,000 (typical) • Sensitivity: varies by application • Dimensions: 4" W x 1.75" H • Impedance: 8 ohms • Power handling: 50 watts RMS / 100 watts maximum.

They’re rated at higher power at 50/100 vs 40 for the DAEX32EP-4, but only 8 ohms vs 4.
DAEX32EP-4 Specifications: • Power handling: 40 watts RMS • VCdia: 32 mm • Nominal impedance: 4 ohms • Re: 3.3 ohms • Le: 0.21 mH • Fs (uncoupled): 395 Hz • Dimensions: 2.36" (60 mm) overall diameter x 0.98" (23 mm) total height • Adhesive dimensions: 1.64" (41.75) outside diameter, 0.86" (21.75 mm) inside diameter • Weight: 148 grams.

They’re larger in diameter and thicker - so don’t know if that would pose any mounting issues? Curious as to your thoughts from a perfornance perspective? Also, could these still be paired with the nobsound ns-01g amps?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have no experience with the HDN-8, but I do have some with the DAEX32EP-4, which are remarkably powerful and effective over a wide range of frequencies, with solid response from around 20 Hz to well over 100 Hz. This and its light weight make it perfect for delivering specific effects to specific parts of the body.

I would generally take manufacturers claims about frequency response with a grain of salt, but the specification of the HDN-8 as covering a range from 40 Hz to 15,000 Hz would give me pause. I would t want to give up response below 40 Hz and we aren’t really going to get anything tactile out of anything much higher than 200 Hz.

So, to my mind, the choice between there two devices would come down soundly on the side of the DAEX32EP-4

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for your input! This is all new to me and that’s was one if my concerns. I will stick with the DAEX32EP-4s. Great thread - I’m excited to get this together ...

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It’s been most helpful. I’ve just ordered and received my DAEX32EP. Opting for 10 in total. 8 for the seat and 2 for under the pedal deck powered by 2 Douk 4x50w 2/4 Amps and 1 Nobsound NS-01G. I would still like to run a bigger unit under the seat as well (BK LFE) with needing only to power this single transducer is there a more economical amp anyone could recommend cheaper than the Inuke n1000DSP? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Hi guys, totally new here so please excuse coming in with a totally dumb arsed question I’m sure!

I have made a rig (budget constraints here) made from structural timber and mdf. Structurally identical to the sim labs p1x design but just from wood.....

i have 18mm mdf on the top of the base, as a floor (so dirt and crud doesn’t collect in the base under the seat and legs area)...... on top of that mdf I have mounted my Heusinkveld pro’s with their quite thick baseplate.........

My question is to your good selves, I know you’re all running 8020 gear but does anyone have any knowledge of the puck behaviour when mounted to wood and in my case, as I’m kind of sitting on a kind of speaker box, do we think that maybe the pucks would amplify their effect through the wood better than say the 8020? I mean, I know you want to isolate the pucks to concentrate the effect to the body but for the chassis effect, would having the pucks mounted to my mdf floor be a waste of time?

sorry guys I know you’re all talking aluminium extrusion here but I’m hoping someone MAY chime in with some wood experience.....

PS, I have a seat out of a Toyota 86 so no hard backed, race style seat for me......

Upvote 0
So much information here.

Can someone please explain to me what is the point of having all those different pucks spread around the seat? Does the seat of a car experience this kind of vibration? Or is it just a case of training your brain to an input that is not natural, but efficient if you train it long enough?

As I see your body touches the car on 3 points basically. Feet, hands and butt. All of them are attached to the chassis and that is the physical object through which all vibrations are transferred until they hit your body.
So taking the seat as an example... I can feel which wheel hit the curb in a car, even though the seat only touches the car through the seat rail. My car seat is not placed on dampeners.

I am trying to understand how you guys manage to get the effects done.
It would also be very interesting to know what are the effects that people play into each of those pucks that are placed in various areas of the seat itself.

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It’s been most helpful. I’ve just ordered and received my DAEX32EP. Opting for 10 in total. 8 for the seat and 2 for under the pedal deck powered by 2 Douk 4x50w 2/4 Amps and 1 Nobsound NS-01G. I would still like to run a bigger unit under the seat as well (BK LFE) with needing only to power this single transducer is there a more economical amp anyone could recommend cheaper than the Inuke n1000DSP? Thanks in advance
updates ?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back