Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

t.amp E-400 set like this, volume control for the respective channels:
tamp e400.jpg
should i be using less volume/ gain on the amplifier?

windows sound car volume =
2019-06-02 14_05_27-Window.png

SimVibe (SC4) in Extended Mode:
2019-06-02 14_06_06-Window.png
- Seat
- Pedals

SEAT settings:
2019-06-02 14_06_33-Window.png 2019-06-02 14_06_48-Window.png

PEDALS settings:
2019-06-02 14_07_19-Window.png 2019-06-02 14_07_35-Window.png

Last edited:
@nolive721

I am a bit confused and need more understanding with the driver issues you guys are referring too. The low-performance factor you had. Is it perhaps related to old Realtek Drivers? I have not yet done a full quality test with my own hardware and APO 1.2 or with different soundcards I own.

What I can say is that APO 1.2 is made for audiophiles that use quite expensive microphones to analyse their room acoustics and then use the CO/EQ features to configure their audio accordingly. So I wouldn't expect it to be limited to low-quality output.

It is unlikely that many people have used it for the purpose we can use it for.

Mixing Channels Or Units:
Controls we need for mixing are simple, altering for the output going to the amp, how loud the "audio is" to the "Shakeit" effects. We find a balance (may need altered with different titles). What I don't recommend is adding audio to a unit that already is being given multiple tactile effects to generate. I will cover this at a later time but as mentioned before, we are best to limit the effects for any channels we want to have a "mix" or we can just have "audio tactile only" installed units be combined with "Shakeit" only installed units. This way the mix will happen in the seat/rig or installed surface materials by themselves.

PC Audio Mess
What I can't see anywhere is someone that has inspected and compared 2.0 channel audio in racing sims with the 5.1 or 7.1 output options. What I do know is that PC titles are not always the best at utilising properly multichannel audio.

With my tests on my old rig I had the ability to mix Stereo L/R audio over any channel. Or I could mix 5.1 audio over a 6 channel tactile config. I have seen somethings that lead me to believe we are best to just use 2 channel audio for mixing instead of 6 channel.

Ideally, from the "audio mix" for tactile, we want L/R positional stereo effects and the engine or other audible characteristics found with each car. So we want full range bass. We don't really need .1 bass channel or surround channels as I have seen instances of problems with these. I can't confirm yet if it was related to my Omni soundcard as it needs further investigation/testing.

Smaller & Better

I strongly advise removing/selling your Pucs and get the "DAEX32U" that are being recommended.
Have spent hours comparing them. Folks if you have enjoyed and already own Pucs, then these are an upgrade, thats all I can say.

These "exciters" certainly for me, have performed much better, are more compact, easy to power and are not expensive to buy. It would also be advisable to anyone with a GS4/GS5 wanting to add tactile to their panels. While their seat panels are pre-configured for Dayton Pucs the "DAEX32U" can very easily be stuck on. I see excellent potential in adding these as they will deliver superb energy direct to specific body regions. The user then determines what effects they want to be positioned to whatever units. Shakeit makes this much more simple than Simvibe.

Panel Installations

Amps
The Nobsound amps are compared in several Youtube videos to other cheap units like Lepai etc. I have linked a guys video/channel in the past here. Most videos I have watched give them credible reviews. I opted for the newest N20 model while it has more wattage, I liked its LED readout for easy volume setting and will be considering using 3 of them for the 6x exciters for my seat. I wont be buying 3x DSP amps to power these so need a solution for them and control their CO/EQ.

You dont necessarily need multichannel amps with these Nobsound models being so tiny. Also they may cost more money and have as illustrated less watts in output. In my case I could of used an old 7.1 AV Reciever but its huge in comparison with similar wattages. Other solutions like d.i.y amps to me are not really worth the hassle, unless you are a hobbyist that likes building things. So really each to their own preferences.

Pushing The Boundaries Or Insanity?
With the discovery of these exciters. My own, new seat/section build is going to be using an advanced array of 16 units. While this sounds perhaps just a tad crazy it will be combining all the things I have learned to deliver a very controlled and high performance.
  • Dual & Triple Role Unit Installations
  • Units for Specific Effects Roles
  • Body Region Utilisation
  • Audio & Telemetry Tactile Mix For Greater Immersion

Note: I have been buying/accumulating tactile units for over 13 years and many of my units were purchased at special prices/ebay as not all were new. What this insane combination brings will be what was learned in discovering what/how different units performances vary for specific roles or frequency output.

The strongest low Hz output over several units. With very detailed mid-frequency range and with the newest addition in the exciters adding specific effects highlighting and positioning. The question is how does someone get this much tactile installed onto a seat section and it all work together? It needs a lot of testing and creative ideas to find working solutions.

Seat Only - Tactile Components
I have decided to go that route now with 6 pucs located in the 4 position you are suggesting on the seat plus 2 on pedals

I will add the DAYTOn DAEX32U instead of the conventional Pucs I have on my rig, the 6 shakers will be driven by 3 Nobsound like amp 2 channels each and hopefully the VMB software solution to cut frequencies above 100Hz will still do the trick with so many channels to manage (or APO if it doesnt)

I want to improve the spatialization of my set-up though and would maybe need some advice here

First,

currently under seat are 2 pucs mounted on oak board, I can set spatialization in Simhub but it doesnt feel that much separated since I am afraid the board transmit the vibration across the whole bottom of the seat
How to mount each puc independently to improve this?

I am thinking cutting the board in the middle or taking off completely, cut it in half anyway and stuck each piece between the seat cushion and the spring you see on the picture
Yet I am afraid the spring would transmit the vibration transversely and annihilate this spatizalization I ma after
upload_2019-6-2_14-37-1.png

Second is the backseat area, currently only 1 puc is stuck again on an oakboard and of course here no spatialization at all, any suggestion at how to mount the 2 shakers as Independent as possible?

I am thinking to use the same approach than for bottom seat area, cutting the board in half and stick 1 shaker on each but I am afraid about the spring transmitting vibration transversely again
upload_2019-6-2_14-47-0.png

Lats but not least, the pedals plate.I have currently one single puc and my idea here would be to mount vertically 1 puc on each side as shown on the picture, gas side and brake side so they would be decoupled from the rig as opposed to today singel one that is stuck under the plate
upload_2019-6-2_14-49-20.png

I am worried about having vibration so close to the pedals potentiometers though, the set is CSR FANATEC quite old but although its built like a tank, te risk is there
again, any idea is appreciated
upload_2019-6-2_14-51-36.png

Hello, after reading about everyone’s tactile setups (a big thank you to Mr Latte and everyone else for sharing), I thought I’d share where I’m at with mine. I also grabbed an assortment of Dayton exciters and will offer my initial thoughts on those.

First, the exciters. I’ve attached a couple comparison shots so you can get an idea of the width and thickness of these, ranging from the tiny 9mm models to the 32mm models. They are roughly ordered left-to-right in terms of my subjective preference (looking for a mix of vibration strength / response curve below 100Hz, small form factor, low heat buildup, and low audible noise), with my favorites on the right.

exciters_top.jpg

exciters_side.jpg

I found the <10W models to be suitable for direct skin contact, such as haptic touch, but not able to transmit vibration through any objects. In the 20-40W range, there are a variety of models, some of which I ruled out after quick testing either because the vibration felt weak or they produced substantial crackling noises. My favorites in this category were the DAEX32U-4 and DAEX25FHE-4, so I’ll describe those.

They’re a little smaller and slimmer than the Dayton Puck, and quieter (these two models produce less of the “crackling loose speaker wires” noise). The DAEX32U-4 has very strong output compared to the other models (think 2x stronger). It also runs very hot under sustained load, which makes me worry about using it for a constant RPM effect unless the power is kept low and multiple units are paired up. I suspect the DAEX25FHE-4 (and some of the other vented, metal shell) models can dissipate heat better, though have weaker output.

They need room to oscillate - if you stick these under a seat cushion, you’ll feel nothing, because they are unable to move (as opposed to the Dayton Puck, which has a shell it can move inside). Ideally, they also should be attached to a surface with some flex that they can resonate, because they are a bit lacking in mass compared to a Puck or Buttkicker piston - if you attach them to a very solid object (I tried directly to each pedal, my shifter, and my handbrake), the effect will be weak, at best like an Xbox or Fanatec rumble motor, at worst only a mild tingle that gets lost among other effects.

Attached to the back of my seat, I can feel them, though I’d say you need a pair for the effect to be strong enough to notice when not run in isolation. They seem great for this mounting location, but I’m disappointed that they underperformed when attached to solid objects or placed under seat cushions.

How about the Dayton Puck, for comparison? Well, the Puck has an annoying crackling noise, which makes placing it within two feet and using without headphones a bit of a problem, unless you keep the power level fairly low. I have three pucks mounted to my three pedals, and at that distance the noise isn't terrible, but I do make a point of not emitting signal to them if I'm not actively pressing the pedals. I have four under my seat cushions, but I have the volume turned down on these, which keeps the noise (and vibration) to an acceptable level.

The Puck’s greater moving mass and hard shell are more suitable for where I want it mounted than the exciters. The Puck’s frequency response range is narrower than the exciters, and it has a very strong peak (a less flat curve), which means you need to tailor your effects to its strengths a bit. It is also prone to bottoming out, which makes a grinding sound - I actually like this for my brake pedal, so I intentionally bottom that one out, but it’s a balancing act to keep the others from doing this while still being strong enough. Which is stronger, between the Puck and exciters? It depends on where and how you mount them.

As for driving them, I tried the Nobsound, but for my particular setup, I like an amp that automatically powers on when I turn on my power strip, so I can turn all my amps on/off together. The Nobsound doesn’t remember its last state. I found the Dayton DTA-1 to be powerful enough even for the 40w exciters (too much sustained power, e.g. a loud RPM effect, and they start to burn up, anyway), as well as for the 8-ohm Dayton Pucks, and it has a physical power switch.

My current setup:

4x LFEs, one at each corner. Suspension and wheel slip. The front ones are each mounted on a separate piece of wood extending out from my pedal plate. The rear ones are each mounted on a separate piece of wood sandwiched between my seat mount and the chassis sliding rail, extending outward.

3x Dayton Pucks, one per pedal:
Clutch - RPM, when pressed
Brake - slip (front combined R/L as mono), muted when brake isn’t pressed (this fires when you lose front traction, ABS kicks in, wheels lock, etc.)
Gas - RPM w/ shift indicator filter (it ramps in as you get close to redline), when pressed. This one is attached with 3M VHB tape, seems to be good so far.

1x LFE and 1x Clark 239 under the seat. The LFE runs wind (low-frequency rumble at high speed), gear shift, and RPM low-frequency when the car isn’t moving (I don’t like a constant RPM at speed). The Clark runs high-frequency RPM, again when the car isn’t moving.

4x Dayton Pucks, two under my butt cushion, two under my shoulder cushion. The butt rumblers run stereo rear L/R wheel slip, and the shoulders run RPM w/ shift indicator filter.

I'm currently using an SB Omni for my extra audio channels, but it has a tendency to disappear or stop working when my computer reboots or wakes from sleep, so I'll switch to a PCIe audio card soon.

full.jpg

pedals.jpg

under_seat.jpg

amps.jpg

What I’m thinking about changing:

I don’t like the Clark under the seat for RPM - if I enable it while the car is under motion, it makes it harder to distinguish the rear left/right suspension and slip effects. I may move it to the seatback, and have a filter so that it is active either when the car isn’t moving, or when moving and you approach redline (I don’t like a constant, strong vibration).

I’m switching to a GS-5 seat soon. I’d like to re-evaluate the seat cushion rumblers at this point. The GS-5 has proper mounting points for the Dayton Pucks, which also look like they might be suitable for exciters (there looks to be enough clearance for them to oscillate under the plates). The butt rumblers running wheel slip feel unnecessary, though - they do a fine job in isolation, but I feel like my rear LFEs handle this effect a little better. I may also drop the shoulder pucks in favor of moving my (stronger) Clark to behind the seat and letting it handle the RPM shift indicator effect instead.

That leaves me with room to mount under-cushion transducers, but nothing in particular that I’m wanting to run there yet. G-forces are interesting and I’d like to try this, though I’m unsure whether they will add to or detract from the GS-5’s own G-force effect. Something interesting to try would be routing surround sound audio to these.

I’d like something for my shifter and handbrake. I tried individual exciters on each, but they were unable to transmit vibration through these. Dayton Pucks on each would likely work, but the noise might drive me crazy. I’m now thinking a single, larger unit (mini LFE / mini concert / etc.) under the shared mounting platform they sit on. I’d also like to find a solution to know when I have my hand on either, so I can dynamically choose which set of effects to route to the shared unit - maybe a capacitive touch sensor (like the lamps that turn on when touched).

All of the tactile effects are generated by my own custom software. I write software for a living, so this is half the fun for me :)

t.amp E-400 set like this, volume control for the respective channels:
View attachment 308664
should i be using less volume/ gain on the amplifier?

windows sound car volume =
View attachment 308665

SimVibe (SC4) in Extended Mode:
View attachment 308667
- Seat
- Pedals

SEAT settings:
View attachment 308668 View attachment 308669

PEDALS settings:
View attachment 308670 View attachment 308671

I have 3 of these amps driving 6 x 100w cheap shakers. For those shakers volume at 11 o'clock is plenty. I use Simhub not simvibe so not sure on set-up but I found a key thing is to find the frequency where the bass shakers give the best response. For me it was around 40hz but you have piston driven shakers so it may be lower. Once you have found the frequency you can adjust the volume to provide suitable impact. That said, I could never get a good gear shift effect with the shakers whatever I did so I ended up using 2 x xbox 360 rumble motors, one behind each shoulder wired to an arduino connected to simhub for gear shift. This works well and freed up the shakers for other effects.

Hello, after reading about everyone’s tactile setups (a big thank you to Mr Latte and everyone else for sharing), I thought I’d share where I’m at with mine. I also grabbed an assortment of Dayton exciters and will offer my initial thoughts on those.

First, the exciters. I’ve attached a couple comparison shots so you can get an idea of the width and thickness of these, ranging from the tiny 9mm models to the 32mm models. They are roughly ordered left-to-right in terms of my subjective preference (looking for a mix of vibration strength / response curve below 100Hz, small form factor, low heat buildup, and low audible noise), with my favorites on the right.

View attachment 309173
View attachment 309174

I found the <10W models to be suitable for direct skin contact, such as haptic touch, but not able to transmit vibration through any objects. In the 20-40W range, there are a variety of models, some of which I ruled out after quick testing either because the vibration felt weak or they produced substantial crackling noises. My favorites in this category were the DAEX32U-4 and DAEX25FHE-4, so I’ll describe those.

They’re a little smaller and slimmer than the Dayton Puck, and quieter (these two models produce less of the “crackling loose speaker wires” noise). The DAEX32U-4 has very strong output compared to the other models (think 2x stronger). It also runs very hot under sustained load, which makes me worry about using it for a constant RPM effect unless the power is kept low and multiple units are paired up. I suspect the DAEX25FHE-4 (and some of the other vented, metal shell) models can dissipate heat better, though have weaker output.

They need room to oscillate - if you stick these under a seat cushion, you’ll feel nothing, because they are unable to move (as opposed to the Dayton Puck, which has a shell it can move inside). Ideally, they also should be attached to a surface with some flex that they can resonate, because they are a bit lacking in mass compared to a Puck or Buttkicker piston - if you attach them to a very solid object (I tried directly to each pedal, my shifter, and my handbrake), the effect will be weak, at best like an Xbox or Fanatec rumble motor, at worst only a mild tingle that gets lost among other effects.

Attached to the back of my seat, I can feel them, though I’d say you need a pair for the effect to be strong enough to notice when not run in isolation. They seem great for this mounting location, but I’m disappointed that they underperformed when attached to solid objects or placed under seat cushions.

How about the Dayton Puck, for comparison? Well, the Puck has an annoying crackling noise, which makes placing it within two feet and using without headphones a bit of a problem, unless you keep the power level fairly low. I have three pucks mounted to my three pedals, and at that distance the noise isn't terrible, but I do make a point of not emitting signal to them if I'm not actively pressing the pedals. I have four under my seat cushions, but I have the volume turned down on these, which keeps the noise (and vibration) to an acceptable level.

The Puck’s greater moving mass and hard shell are more suitable for where I want it mounted than the exciters. The Puck’s frequency response range is narrower than the exciters, and it has a very strong peak (a less flat curve), which means you need to tailor your effects to its strengths a bit. It is also prone to bottoming out, which makes a grinding sound - I actually like this for my brake pedal, so I intentionally bottom that one out, but it’s a balancing act to keep the others from doing this while still being strong enough. Which is stronger, between the Puck and exciters? It depends on where and how you mount them.

As for driving them, I tried the Nobsound, but for my particular setup, I like an amp that automatically powers on when I turn on my power strip, so I can turn all my amps on/off together. The Nobsound doesn’t remember its last state. I found the Dayton DTA-1 to be powerful enough even for the 40w exciters (too much sustained power, e.g. a loud RPM effect, and they start to burn up, anyway), as well as for the 8-ohm Dayton Pucks, and it has a physical power switch.

My current setup:

4x LFEs, one at each corner. Suspension and wheel slip. The front ones are each mounted on a separate piece of wood extending out from my pedal plate. The rear ones are each mounted on a separate piece of wood sandwiched between my seat mount and the chassis sliding rail, extending outward.

3x Dayton Pucks, one per pedal:
Clutch - RPM, when pressed
Brake - slip (front combined R/L as mono), muted when brake isn’t pressed (this fires when you lose front traction, ABS kicks in, wheels lock, etc.)
Gas - RPM w/ shift indicator filter (it ramps in as you get close to redline), when pressed. This one is attached with 3M VHB tape, seems to be good so far.

1x LFE and 1x Clark 239 under the seat. The LFE runs wind (low-frequency rumble at high speed), gear shift, and RPM low-frequency when the car isn’t moving (I don’t like a constant RPM at speed). The Clark runs high-frequency RPM, again when the car isn’t moving.

4x Dayton Pucks, two under my butt cushion, two under my shoulder cushion. The butt rumblers run stereo rear L/R wheel slip, and the shoulders run RPM w/ shift indicator filter.

I'm currently using an SB Omni for my extra audio channels, but it has a tendency to disappear or stop working when my computer reboots or wakes from sleep, so I'll switch to a PCIe audio card soon.

View attachment 309175
View attachment 309176
View attachment 309177
View attachment 309178

What I’m thinking about changing:

I don’t like the Clark under the seat for RPM - if I enable it while the car is under motion, it makes it harder to distinguish the rear left/right suspension and slip effects. I may move it to the seatback, and have a filter so that it is active either when the car isn’t moving, or when moving and you approach redline (I don’t like a constant, strong vibration).

I’m switching to a GS-5 seat soon. I’d like to re-evaluate the seat cushion rumblers at this point. The GS-5 has proper mounting points for the Dayton Pucks, which also look like they might be suitable for exciters (there looks to be enough clearance for them to oscillate under the plates). The butt rumblers running wheel slip feel unnecessary, though - they do a fine job in isolation, but I feel like my rear LFEs handle this effect a little better. I may also drop the shoulder pucks in favor of moving my (stronger) Clark to behind the seat and letting it handle the RPM shift indicator effect instead.

That leaves me with room to mount under-cushion transducers, but nothing in particular that I’m wanting to run there yet. G-forces are interesting and I’d like to try this, though I’m unsure whether they will add to or detract from the GS-5’s own G-force effect. Something interesting to try would be routing surround sound audio to these.

I’d like something for my shifter and handbrake. I tried individual exciters on each, but they were unable to transmit vibration through these. Dayton Pucks on each would likely work, but the noise might drive me crazy. I’m now thinking a single, larger unit (mini LFE / mini concert / etc.) under the shared mounting platform they sit on. I’d also like to find a solution to know when I have my hand on either, so I can dynamically choose which set of effects to route to the shared unit - maybe a capacitive touch sensor (like the lamps that turn on when touched).

All of the tactile effects are generated by my own custom software. I write software for a living, so this is half the fun for me :)

I have an xbox 360 rumble motor connected to an arduino using simhub, mounted beneath the gear shifter and an effect set for gear shift, this isn't fantastic but does provide some sensation on gear shift without making noise. It is also very cheap to set up, and I use the other 3 channels / motors for gear shift on shoulders of seat and brake pedal for wheel lock

Your guys passion and work is amazing, wow.

Insane setup, AlexN.
I hope you find a way to get constant engine RPM effects without muddying other effects.
I haven't tried one but I would think you can get rid of g-force effects once you get the GS-5 seat due to it providing g-force effects (you can also consider using the GS-5 seat as purely only for g-forces and nothing else).

I posted this on the Simhub thread but since its shakers related maybe someone here can help

wires I am using are the same type and length so I am really puzzled at whats happening.The 6 shakers I am running today are the DAYTON pucs TT25 8ohm
hello Wotever
I have added 2 more shakers to my rig, meaning I have now 2 at the front for the pedals, 2 under the seat and 2 on the back seat
Since I have only 2 amplifiers (2 channel ones), I have decided to run the 4 shakers located on the seat from 1 amp in parallel wiring style like this schematics
upload_2019-6-9_0-38-39-png.309527

When I play music in windows or directly via my smartphone (the amp is BT), no problem sound and bass come out of the 4 shakers

But when I play games, and I have tried all I have like AC, ACC and PCARS2, only the 2 shakers close to the amp actually output something (I have them on the backseat, under seat ones dont make any kind of vibration).

I have tried with Game audio, as well as the Shakeit and Shakeit v3 from your SIMHUB software but no joy

is that a limitation of the telemetry input from the games? or something that it is not written in your software code?Or just I am not using the proper settings for such config, in SIMHUB?

any guidance is appreciated

thanks

Olivier

Last edited:
If your units are not rated at 4ohm, I'd be wiring them in series as opposed to parallel. You are reducing the resistance of the pucks by wiring them in parallel and they probably won't take it for very long. I run 4 x Dayton exciters from a single 2 channel amp and I have mine running in series. My units are rated at 4ohm and by running them this way, they show the amplifier 8ohm. You get a reduced power output but since they require such little power to begin with (20W and 40W for each pair) my 80W per channel amp (approximately) handles them easily even at half gain and reduced power output in Simhub.

They should definitely work as far as the software goes. I'd try rewiring them in series and see if the same thing happens. They may be shutting off with built in safety, receiving too much current. This is probably unlikely on little units like that but who knows.

If it works through windows then you haven't configured simhub it use the corresponding sound card correctly. Check other jack positions, and basically check through simhub with it's test mode outside of a game. No need to go ingame to check if it works.

Last edited:
thank you Anton and asteroulis

I have been a Simhub user for more than 6months and have the donated version(Wotever well deserved my money)so I am familiar with the functions there being the effects, targeted channels, gains and frequencies all that so I would say its not here where sits the problem

I have noticed tonight that 1 wire got loose so I reconnected it to the whole diagram and the effects now seem to appear on the 4 shakers
Yet the excitation is much stronger on 2 of them, the one I am highlighting here showing off the lightest vibration effect where considering they are wired in parallel, it shouldn't matter

I am going to do some more testing at software level being SIMHUB, Wotever suggested to duplicate effects and slightly adjust frequency different from shaker to shaker, or VMB equalizer I use to cut high frequencies to see if anything works

if not, I will rethink the whole wiring as one of you has suggested but I am really reluctant since it should work already and again so it does in Windows

PS adding a 3rd 2 channel amp is not an option because VMB has only 3 HW entries to mix audio input and I play now most of the time on a TV with HDMI from graphics card carrying out Game audio so I have only 2 HW entries left as input for telemetry

upload_2019-6-10_22-46-28.png

Last edited:
As stepping back with my involvement on the forums, I'm not going to be that involved in this thread anymore. So welcome others to help those that need it.

First point is that Its not recommended to run speakers/transducers in parallel or series if the units are not the same. Its not just about the ohms but mixing two units with different wattages or different makes/models isn't quite ideal.

@nolive721
If you are getting output to all 4 units via windows primary audio, so then this would also work with audio-tactile. Then that confirms the wiring to the amp is fine. Therefore any effects placed to channels 1&2 in Shakeit (assuming this is your typical stereo channels for your soundcard) should also output to all 4 units on the seat.

Meaning any effects you place on these channels should be active on the seat. (per effect volume can also be used) as well as (channel output volume) in the advanced settings for Shakeit. To Shakeit it is not aware of this being 2 units or 4 units but just 2 channels.

For your pedal tactile then yes these should be placed onto other channels (possibly 3,4) and powered via a different amp.

Personally its not something I like to do as I much prefer to have individual control to each unit. Examples being balancing the wattage/gain levels, or applying individual EQ for improved frequency manipulation. I have noticed soundcards can tend to output more gain to one channel than another, have felt it more on one side than the other and with dB metering hardware I am using, confirms this with at least one soundcard I use. It is also possible one tactile unit may operate a bit better than another. So being able to tweak each unit individually has benefits and its why I have never gone this path with tactile.

Other possible help with this topic:
Here & Here

Last edited:
Last post here for a while......

Audio Tactile Mixing:
My final word on this, something that has become for some reason a struggle for people to apply and mix with telemetry based tactile. We have looked at various PC software solutions and yes still some not fully shown how to go about using them or why they are a good solution.

Some people will say you don't need this audio-tactile nonsense.
In my experience and from my own testing, these people are very wrong (I can assure you) if you want the best detail we need both, the issue is making them both work well together and doing what we need to achieve that.

So guys, for improved engine character, transmission noises, opponent cars, kerb detail and other effects that telemetry tactile does not have and you want these really nice sensations from.

Examples like these:

It can be very easily enjoyed....
Using this affordable hardware mixer by simply mixing more than one source in either mono or stereo, or even 3 sources (if desired) into one output for your tactile. You don't even have to use it as a mixer, you can just use to better control and boost the audio-tactile bass frequencies.

Unlike a typical hardware equalizer, that only supports 2 channels. Doing such with this device supports 6 channels and with its own neat dB meter levels for each. With the added bonus, to enable increased bass boost, you simply turn a knob which does this below.

40Hz Test Tone Example:

At top line we see 40Hz peak (center value) and the other HZ this tone is generating with lower strength.

Below on bottom, see how all the main Hz we use are increased in amplitude, bringing even the lowest frequencies more into play to help basic units like the affordable exciters that struggle to deliver detail with low frequencies below 30Hz.

From software, if needed all we then do is use a "Crossover" to reduce the frequency range from the audios full 20Khz range to below 200Hz or less (user pref) for the tactile.

With the same volume used for the test above but just increasing the (bass) tone control. Okay yes at max it is a bit much.The beauty is you just adjust the dial to what you like the feel of with the car/sim you are using.. :)

We do however see much greater potential for the audio-tactile to bring more energy for low Hz to help feel it better over many of the superb effects that can be found with using audio-tactile. Yes using this solution is simple and it's not as ideal if seeking more precise boosting of only specific Hz by specific dB. Yet it can make audio-tactile much more active and enjoyable in a very easy to use application.

No need for faffing around with software and EQ if that is making things too complicated.
Some games have amazing added detail in their audio, my advice is to either mix both audio & telemetry or to add stereo tactile units specifically only for audio-tactile duties.

It may be user preference to either mix sources into one for multiple tactile units or to apply a mix within the seat itself. Doing this by keeping each source on individual units and balance their volumes. 2 or more units for telemetry tactile effects and a couple say for stereo audio-tactile.

Discover your own preferences....
Those in particular that want better engine sensations and increased immersion. While, I have learned a thing or two about making good telemetry based engine effects. Nor shared the best I have achieved thus far.

Let me say, I will not rely on them on their own. We can get much more immersion when we continue to research, experiment and discover how/what each can bring. Then find ways like this to make them both work well together.

Those with Simvibe only based engine sensations and harmonics (who are many) while you may be happy with what you have. However, what you are feeling with that, is not close to the potential we can reach. I say this based on many months of testing and experimenting.

More perhaps in the future but what I share here is certainly the direction my own build is going.

Still, its good to see others becoming creative and trying different things...
Enjoyable vibes to all.

Last edited:
hello Mr Latte

I have appreciated any of your feedback when I was working out the best options for my own rig and taste in tactile feedback (including space and budget constraints)
I have been harsh at time to you and I apologize if you took it the wrong way.Honestly its sad to hear you sounding a bit bitter and consider you didnt get enough traction from people over here or other thread you started.
thats the issue when you are passionate and you expect everyone to come onboard and be as committed as you are
I understand why you are leaving but I am very passionate myself and I am sure you will come back soon.

To my latest issue, I went back to the white board and my Engineering degree from 21yrs ago, but also made use of my 7yr daughter as dummy driver and observe & feel the behavior of my 4 shakers (all same DAYTON AUDIo TT25 pucs)
Nothing wrong with wiring, nothing wrong with Simhub, nothing wrong with VMB and frequency control but all of my issue is I believe contact surface/damping related

1st issue I have observed is that when I am sitting, my body weight get the seat to deform in the red area so relatively away from the oak board where the pucs are fixed

when my daughter is sitting, because the PLAYSEAAT is not that great at driving position adjustment, she is actually putting her bum above the blue area more ahead than me when I have my back against the backseat, and even is she weighs far less than I do, she is heavy enough to deform the seat and get actually tactile feedback as strong as it should be

upload_2019-6-11_22-7-54.png

then 2nd issue, the damping......

the pucs under the seat are fixed on a 5mm thick oak board where the pucs on back seat are on a 1mm thick IKEA cheap plywood
upload_2019-6-11_22-19-33.png

so basically the large surface of the oak board and its thickness generate a much higher damping than the cheap IKEA one hence the feeling I got that the vibration perceived were much higher on my back compared to my bum

what I am doing now is reconsider the fixing of the under seat pucs, repositioning the board where they are mounted more backwards but also adjust the material/thickness of the board itself.

and as I had mentioned in few posts back, also considering to split the board in 2 to create a spatialization effect as I have on the back seat today)sorry pic above is misleading but backseat has now 2 pucs mounted on 2 separate boards with rubber pads to decouple them from the seat frame and spring)

again, apologize to the people here who have spent time to provide guidance with wiring and Simhub, but I am genuinely convinced now that it was not the root causes of my issue

Last edited:
Dayton Pucks are only good if in direct contact to your body. Of course you cannot feel anything when placed like that. Try placing them on your butt (with a pillow or something underneat) and see how that goes.

not quite sure my daughter would agree with your statement, she might quite challenge the "cant feel anything" from when I looked at her face when the DAYTON started to kick in under the seat:roflmao:

I had them located there when I 1st started with tactile on my rig and the fact is that I could feel things happening through Game audio and/or telemetry input

Also fact is now I have the 2 pucks in the backseat kicking so hard, that in comparison, these 2 ones under the seat feel weak for all the reasons I explained in my previous post

I am up for rethinking the location, the supporting plate and actually fixing of these 2 pucs. Tactile immersion is just fun but be prepared to a certain amount of trial and error as Mr Latte mentioned on numerous occasions

Well finally got my 2x NX1000D Amps today and went and got the SpeakOn adapters and cables,
I had 4x TRS cables made currently just testing the 1x buttkicker after 1hr trying to get vibrations from anything at all,
but now its playing music through the buttkicker and ingame sounds but not vibrations,
anyone any ideas at all ? :D:D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 234 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 162 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 119 7.5%
  • < 5 years