T500RS still worth buying in 2016

Hi all,

I have found a T500RS advertised for AUD 750.00
Is is still worth getting even though its been out from about 2011 (as far as I can see).
Guess a replacement is on the cards pretty soon?
I have a G29, but compatibility issues with most games is driving me nuts.

T300 and the pro pedal set might be better option depending on price in Australia, my friend has my old t500 and another has the t300, the 300 is a bit less notchy/Geary than the 500.

Upvote 0
T300 and the pro pedal set might be better option depending on price in Australia, my friend has my old t500 and another has the t300, the 300 is a bit less notchy/Geary than the 500.
Thanks for your input Bez, at least the T300 is newer, may look at that.
I've been reading the comments on the forums regarding the T500 and T300, close split between them.

My luck is that if I buy the T500, next week its replacement will be announced :(

Upvote 0
is that AUD 750 new?
I had a TX which is virtaully the same as the 300RS and it just failed after 15 months. Gamesmen in Sydney are sending out a replacement under warranty though. T500 seems more reliable.

Upvote 0
is that AUD 750 new?
I had a TX which is virtaully the same as the 300RS and it just failed after 15 months. Gamesmen in Sydney are sending out a replacement under warranty though. T500 seems more reliable.

Hi Tim, yes new. Mwave have a sale on this long weekend.
That's bad news to hear that your 300 failed :( . Good news that you're getting a replacement :) But its a pain to wait for the replacement and dealing with the hassle.

I also like the fanatec, but the price brings tears to my eyes!

Upvote 0
The guys at inside sim racing loved the t300/tx - almost preferred it to the 500RS. From what I can tell, the FFB on the 500RS is stronger than the 300, but the 300 is smoother and there is less resistance on the wheel. It's the best wheel for the money, bar the technical issues. Thrustmaster seem to be pretty good with warranty claims though. Either wheel will be better than the G29, which is using basically the same tech as the G25/G27.

Not sure why it's so hard for thrustmaster to make a reliable wheel - my old logitech momo has worked faultlessly for years!

Upvote 0
The guys at inside sim racing loved the t300/tx - almost preferred it to the 500RS. From what I can tell, the FFB on the 500RS is stronger than the 300, but the 300 is smoother and there is less resistance on the wheel. It's the best wheel for the money, bar the technical issues. Thrustmaster seem to be pretty good with warranty claims though. Either wheel will be better than the G29, which is using basically the same tech as the G25/G27.

Not sure why it's so hard for thrustmaster to make a reliable wheel - my old logitech momo has worked faultlessly for years!

LOL, I like the guys at sim racing. I recall watching their review on the T300 a while back, will have to watch it again for a refresher.
How do you find your TX? I am assuming you are happy with it bar the failure.

I was happy with my G25, bought the G29 mainly because of the extra buttons and because my 25 was quite old, but still working perfectly. The G29 does feel better though.

I am leaning towards the 300, because its newer than the 500, but run it with Fanatec pedals, may be a good compromise for some good sim racing. May need to ride the warranty train a bit too though.
Blokes are raving about the Fanatec pedals.

Not sure it the new stuff will help my driving much, but who doesn't like a bit of cool new kit?

Upvote 0
I owned both the T500 and T300RS, both are great. I personally like the T300 a bit more because the FFB is smoother but still powerful. Also, the T500 FFB tended to fade more, probably at least in part because it uses a brushed motor that runs warmer. The T300 has a brushless servo motor that seems to run cooler.

Upvote 0
I can't think of anyone who moved to T500 or T300 from Logitech and regretted it. The gears in Logitech's system and strength of FFB (before clipping) are just too limited these days. Belt drive or direct drive are definitely the way to go now.

Upvote 0
I owned both the T500 and T300RS, both are great. I personally like the T300 a bit more because the FFB is smoother but still powerful. Also, the T500 FFB tended to fade more, probably at least in part because it uses a brushed motor that runs warmer. The T300 has a brushless servo motor that seems to run cooler.
Thanks for your input, especially that you have had both. I am leaning (even more now) towards the T300. No rush then, seen as the special is on the T500 :)

Upvote 0
I can't think of anyone who moved to T500 or T300 from Logitech and regretted it. The gears in Logitech's system and strength of FFB (before clipping) are just too limited these days. Belt drive or direct drive are definitely the way to go now.
I think you're right, I have not seen any complaints regarding moving from the Logitech to the thrustmaster either! Belt must be best :D

Upvote 0
Can't really comment about the T500 but I had a Thrustmaster T300 GTE as a Xmas present, replacing my very old G25 (which is still okay, reserve wheel now!). I really like the new wheel, it's quiet, smooth and gives good feedback with a lot of different Sims. I did have the wheel come loose (using the clamp provided) a couple of times so I decided to hard mount it using two bolts (not provided). If you go for these make sure you get the right size and that they're not too long. Can cause damage if too long apparently! I put the clamp back on as it's not in the way of anything with my setup. Loads of buttons on the wheel and two on the base as well! Only time will tell if it's anywhere near reliable as the G25 as that would take some beating but the T300 does feel so much better.

I'm still using my brake modded G25 pedals which plug into the wheel with an adapter, (not provided) the pedals working fine alongside this wheel. Never even tried the pedals that come with it as they have no clutch.

Upvote 0
Can't really comment about the T500 but I had a Thrustmaster T300 GTE as a Xmas present, replacing my very old G25 (which is still okay, reserve wheel now!). I really like the new wheel, it's quiet, smooth and gives good feedback with a lot of different Sims. I did have the wheel come loose (using the clamp provided) a couple of times so I decided to hard mount it using two bolts (not provided). If you go for these make sure you get the right size and that they're not too long. Can cause damage if too long apparently! I put the clamp back on as it's not in the way of anything with my setup. Loads of buttons on the wheel and two on the base as well! Only time will tell if it's anywhere near reliable as the G25 as that would take some beating but the T300 does feel so much better.

I'm still using my brake modded G25 pedals which plug into the wheel with an adapter, (not provided) the pedals working fine alongside this wheel. Never even tried the pedals that come with it as they have no clutch.

Thanks Paul, People seem very positive about the T300. Looks like its the wheel of choice, and I can use my G29 pedals then too hopefully.

Upvote 0
I think you're right, I have not seen any complaints regarding moving from the Logitech to the thrustmaster either! Belt must be best :D

This does seem to be the case, the only issues with Thrustmaster seem to be reliability and poor pedals if not going for the T3PA or better pedals. I'm considering picking up a TX wheel...

Upvote 0
This does seem to be the case, the only issues with Thrustmaster seem to be reliability and poor pedals if not going for the T3PA or better pedals. I'm considering picking up a TX wheel...
Yeah, i'm thinking about the Fanatec Clubsport beauties to go with the Thrusty.... sweet as!
I just emailed Santa about the subject.

What wheel are you using atm?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline