T500RS Problem - PC is off but the wheel is on

I have had the T500RS for 6 days now and it's a fabulous wheel. But now I have a problem, not a big one, but it annoys me:

Just before my PC shuts off the wheel starts calibration. And then the PC shuts off and the calibration is unfinished. The wheel is at about 100 degrees to the left and ''mode'' light is on. When I woke up in the morning the wheel was quite warm and it smelled burned! So I don't wan't to leave it on overnight.

I also noticed that there flashes a green light on my USB hub at the same time when the wheel starts calibration. I don't have the wheel connected to the hub.

I don't know if this is PC's or the wheel's fault but I suspect the wheel as this started 2 days after I got the T500. And this didn't happen with G27.

Hopefully I was clear enough.

Also some motherboards have AI charger (My Sabertooth does) so if you leave USB devices plugged into a certain USB port then it will continue to charge the device and leave it on even when the PC is switched off (not from mains)

That's a good point actually. However his mobo doesn't seem to have that feature. At least based on the manual.

Upvote 0
I tried it on my mobo yesterday but it makes no difference.

Have you used other wheels with that current mobo? If yes, did they do the same?

I'm quite interested of this as I've used number of wheels with many different hardware combos and never had this calibration "problem".

Upvote 0
It doesn't happen with a G27/F430, but I only noticed it because I forgot to un-plug the power cord. I never leave that plugged in.

Upvote 0
AI charger seems to be downloadable utility, but since Peter already tested it can't be the cause.

This seems to be T500 specific. Thrustmaster support could be interested of that.

Upvote 0
I updated the BIOS and the problem already seemed to be solved. When I shut off the PC after updating the BIOS, the wheel shut off and didn't calibrate. And on the next day I put on the PC and the wheel calibrated in two sections just as G27 did. At that moment I was quite relieved and thought that it's finally solved.

But it wasn't. Yesterday it happened again. The wheel doesn't shut off and when I start the PC, wheel calibrates at once, not in sections.

So nothing new but I'll ask my cousin to come and help me. He works with computers and knows much about them. Hopefully he can help me. I don't want to change the BIOS settings myself so that I don't mess up anything.

Upvote 0
Also some motherboards have AI charger (My Sabertooth does) so if you leave USB devices plugged into a certain USB port then it will continue to charge the device and leave it on even when the PC is switched off (not from mains)
That's a good point actually. However his mobo doesn't seem to have that feature. At least based on the manual.
Btw I think I saw AI charger at my BIOS settings.

EDIT: It was Ai Tweaker

Upvote 0
Beware, I have had myT500rs for 2 years now and has been trouble free; a couple of months back my wheel started doing the calibration trick when I shut down Windows.
After a while, something came loose, or broke inside the base unit after which the wheel
was hopeless to use; on looking I was dismayed to find my warranty ran out on Jan' 13th 2015, but I contacted Thrustmaster anyway...not heard back yet; except for their acknowledgement email.
In the past I read somewhere; that their is a cheap plastic collar (what for I don't Know) and it is prone to crack and break...maybe that is the cause of the calibration upset and
consequently (in my case) even bigger problems.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years