T300 RS won't install

Ive had a Thrustmaster T300 for a few years. Besides issues with the break pedal not calibrating properly for sometime it is still a great wheel (that is an argument for another day). But I have had this same problem before and after a week or so managed to rectify it. 6 months later it has returned and this time no such luck. So I am trying to work out whether the wheel is dead or it is something I can recover. Would appreciate any advice.

Basically the wheel disconnects occasionally and then shows up in the control panel (twice) as a generic "Thrustmaster Racing Wheel FFB". In my Device Manager it lists itself as a HID (compliant game controller). So I download the latest driver/firmware, plug in when asked, it calibrates and automatically my PC pops up saying installing the TM Racing Wheel FB.
Back to the installer it says it is installing the driver and it will take a few minutes, but after a second or two (half done) finishes and tells me to reboot. Then comes up with the same generic profile and I simply cannot use it. And to be clear, I have downloaded and tried to install about 10 different versions of the driver just in case it was complete. And also tried all the USB2 ports (4) in the back of my PC along with the 2 USB3'sin front. Also turned off Windows Security and my firewalls just in case these were preventing the download/install of the drivers. But same result

So next step is to try load the firmware through the bootloader method. Do the L2/L3 process, light stays off, plug it in, the firmware recognises it as a T300. It also then shows up in my Device Manager as a Thrustmaster T300 under the game controls section. So I start that process, states it is installing the firmware, then it calibrates and the moment the wheel hits 180d immediately the firmware comes up with an error stateing that it is set to PS3 and to change to PS4 (and yes it is set to PS4). And the T300 disappears and reverts to the generic description and unusable.

I have spent a week googling options and tried all suggestions I could find, without success. Most say the bootloader method works, which my does right to the end. Regardless of its description it calibrates as per normal on start up, light comes on, some of the buttons seem to be recognised in the control panel generic profile (but not steering axis), but my PC (Windows 10) refuses to recognise it as T300, the driver refuses to install correctly and the firmware update, whilst initially recognising it correctly then stuffs it.

Is she dead, cause I certainly hope not as the money I had saved was intended for a new GPU? TIA.

It seems you have done all the things you had to do. My only concern is (and it might just be a typo on your side) the PS3-PS4 toggle switch. When using the wheel on PC it should be in PS3 mode. But since you own the wheel for a long time you must be already familiar with that.

Upvote 0
It seems you have done all the things you had to do. My only concern is (and it might just be a typo on your side) the PS3-PS4 toggle switch. When using the wheel on PC it should be in PS3 mode. But since you own the wheel for a long time you must be already familiar with that.
Yes, sorry was a typo. Not sure it is related but I noticed last night my Win 10 has failed to update for a few months. Keeps trying but coming up with an error. A common one apparently so I am going to try the fix, update Win 10 and see if that helps. Really just willing to try anything at this stage.

Upvote 0
Well , you could be lucky there , because there was a known issue with May's update I think , and game controllers!
Updated but unfortunately no luck/change. It is very frustrating, the wheel shows up as a T300 in my Device Manager when asleep (but blank in my Control Panel). But the moment I install/assign the bulk drivers it moves to a HID device and shows up twice as Thrustmaster Racing Wheel FFB. Really am out of ideas, the wheel is now unusable. Wish TM just had the driver itself available so I can try assign that through Device Manager.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 307 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years