T300 GTE Electrical buzzing

Chris

Premium
Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same, and/or if it's something I should be concerned about?

Problem:
When the wheel is plugged in, it makes a constant electrical humming or buzzing sound, even when the wheel is not being used. It hasn't always done this, I've just noticed that it's gotten progressively worse over the last few weeks or so. I've owned the wheel for around about 6 months now with no issues so far.

It is being plugged into a USB 3.0 front slot, so perhaps this could be feeding too much electrical current or something? I haven't tried plugging it into and of the back slots.

The wheel still functions perfectly fine, it just makes this odd buzzing sound when it's sitting idle (i.e. when I'm not actually in game, but the wheel is still plugged in).

Edit: Just tried the USB 2.0 slots at the rear of the computer and it still buzzes.
Edit 2: Also updated to the latest software and firmware (apparently there was an update), and that didn't help either.

Last edited:
It shouldn't have anything to do with the USB port 2.0 vs 3.0 which I see you've already ruled out. Good job also updating the software and firmware which would have been my next step. If the wheel is functioning properly, is it possible it could just be the internal fan starting to develop some noise? Maybe the bearings are getting a bit dry, they certainly use super cheap fans in all of these wheels. Possibly the only way to know for sure might end up that you have to take the housing off the wheel and just listen to the fan. If you determine its the fan itself, I can explain how to fix it without replacing the fan.

Upvote 0
Thanks mate :) I'm not entirely convinced it's the fan just because it really sounds like an electrical buzzing, as if a component is receiving too much electrical current or something.

Having said that, the fan does sometimes make a loud rattling/whirring sound sometimes but then goes away after about a minute or so. I'd be keen to sort that one out as it does get kind of annoying sometimes.

Upvote 0
Typically, components don't make buzzing sounds unless they're on the brink of absolute failure. Does the T300 have an internal power supply? I can't recall if its internal or external anymore.

If you should happen to open the housing and can access the fan, take it out, peel back the sticker which is in the center of the fan, you can use a hair dryer to heat up the glue first, then apply a drop or two of Dupont teflon dry film lubricant to the bearings under the sticker. Some fans may have a small plug you have to remove before you can see the bearings, if so remove the plug, apply lubricant, replace plug and sticker and typically after a few hours of use or a day or so, the fan will be considerably quieter and should never give any issues again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does the T300 have an internal power supply?
Yeah I think it does because there's no PS along the power cable.

If you should happen to open the housing and can access the fan, take it out, peel back the sticker which is in the center of the fan, you can use a hair dryer to heat up the glue first, then apply a drop or two of Dupont teflon dry film lubricant to the bearings under the sticker. Some fans may have a small plug you have to remove before you can see the bearings, if so remove the plug, apply lubricant, replace plug and sticker and tpyically after a few hours of use or a day or so, the fan will be considerably quieter and never give any issues again.
Awesome! Thank you mate, I'll definitely give this a try :)

Upvote 0
If it's not the fan I would hazard a guess it's a internal transformer. We have a lot of equipment at work that uses external and internal transformers and if we get that sound it is usually the transformer. It does not always mean it is dying but if it is getting worse over time it may indicate it is in its death throes.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 340 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing