Swivel Keyboard

I have had a look around, but cannot see a lot of information.

Basically I am looking for a keyboard mount that will allow me the option of having my keyboard out to the side when racing but also the option of moving it into in front of the wheel when using the PC for other things.

I have got a track racer keyboard tray which works fine, but is only out to the side - it does swivel back and forward - but is fixed on a single pivot point.

Ideally I am looking at getting some sort of hinge brackets that can be added to give me what I need -- not wanting to buy another tray etc.

Any help appreciated, I did find this which looks great - but trying to source/ find out what kinds of hinge brackets are being used here - as if I could source these on their own then I could use my existing keyboard tray. I have spare profile already.

1638390727253.png

Thanks in advance for any help.

I want to upgrade my Sim-Lab keyboard mount to a swivel one but a "fully" swivelling one like the OP mentioned. The Obutto R3V is an example of a good one. The Track Racer one is not as it's not "fully" swivelable.

A good example of a "fully" swivelable keyboard / mouse tray:

As the previous post mentioned, I'm assuming I need to buy some of these https://8020.net/14018.html and/or these https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Joint-180-40

Can any one give a complete list of details?

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I have tried Obutto one, complete trash, and this is where it ended after sitting in a garage storage for a year. Save your money.

I had an Obutto Ozone with Thrustmaster 300rs. It was my first simulator. I had a lot of fun with it! It's def not trash, you just have less options than with alu extrusion. And direct drives are probably not a good idea. But my Ozone was way better than all those wheelstands and playseats you had back then (around 2018).

I use a couple of these with a length of extrusion

Not the cheapest option but I think it works pretty well

• Deleted member 197115

Why was it trash?
- Sharp metal edges combined with super heavy weight acted like a swiveling guillotine
- Added rubber padding all around to have at least some protection
- The swivel joints were super wobbly even when tightened up to extreme which was impeding freedom of movement.

The thing was extremely poorly designed and built, heavy solid metal plate sagging all the time on awkward tube swivels. Tried to live with it for a few weeks, then ripped it off the rig and put in the garage, just to dump into trash a year later.

Yes, it is a complete TRASH in my book, upper case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess a system of 3 or 4 of those joint pieces and 4 or 5 short pieces of aluminium profile should allow me to give it "full" freedom like the Obutto. No?

- Sharp metal edges combined with super heavy weight acted like a swiveling guillotine
- Added rubber padding all around to have at least some protection
- The swivel joints were super wobbly even when tightened up to extreme which was impeding freedom of movement.

The thing was extremely poorly designed and built, heavy solid metal plate sagging all the time on awkward tube swivels. Tried to live with it for a few weeks, then ripped it off the rig and put in the garage, just to dump into trash a year later.

Yes, it is a complete TRASH in my book, upper case.
Wow. It seems to work so nice in the vids. Thanks for the details.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I guess a system of 3 or 4 of those joint pieces and 4 or 5 short pieces of aluminium profile should allow me to give it "full" freedom like the Obutto. No?

Wow. It seems to work so nice in the vids. Thanks for the details.
Barry from SRG used just slightly different way of keyboard tray mounting to have it in front.
It didn't work for me, as I was hitting it with knees, but with some adjustments, if you really want that orientation, it might be doable.

Something to give thought if your sims don't need a number pad.

maxresdefault.jpg
Thanks but that doesn't do anything for me. Keypad or no keypad, wireless or no wireless, doesn't change how the keyboard swivels.

Barry from SRG used just slightly different way of keyboard tray mounting to have it in front.
It didn't work for me, as I was hitting it with knees, but with some adjustments, if you really want that orientation, it might be doable.
I used to have my keyboard setup like in the video. I changed it after a while. I can't remember why but something about that style wasn't working right. Maybe it was the distance the keyboard was to me? Or my knees? Or...? I can't remember but, although it seemed like a great idea "on paper", in reality it just wasn't working for me.

I'm going to try it again though since I can't remember what issues I had with it.

I need it to be "fully" articulating.

I'm really surprised this is still nowhere to be found. Doesn't it just require more of those joint pieces and aluminium profile?

Last edited:
Thanks but that doesn't do anything for me. Keypad or no keypad, wireless or no wireless, doesn't change how the keyboard swivels.

Thanks, well sorry but it does because you can reduce the width of the base it uses. In turn that will shorten the radius significantly. ;)

I assumed swivel meant rotate on its axis.

It was a general statement for anyone listening may not have thought of possible benefit from smaller lighter keyboard.

Last edited:
Impressively expensive indeed... though still cheaper than you could make something like that yourself I guess, and a nice product if you can afford it.
Did you watch the lady reviewer's video? Made me smile ("it's amaaaazing you guys" and "it's made of hard steel", lol).
Is that really cheaper then just adding a few short pieces of aluminum profile and joint pieces to my sim-lab keyboard mount? Is creating my own more complicated than that?

The arms on those look too long to be able to swivel around in a space like our cockpits like the Obutto can but I could be wrong. It's difficult to tell from those pics/vids.

Last edited:
I assumed swivel meant rotate on its axis.
"Swivel" as in the ways the Obutto one can as opposed to the overly-simplistic ways all the sim-cockpit companies make them.

Trak Racer does go 1 step further than the other companies as theirs can swivel in slightly more ways - so I have to give them credit for that - but it's still not like the Obutto.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back