Switched Controllers, Now Worse

I used to play race sims (Assetto Corsa etc) with a Steam Controller (gyro for steering) and it was OK but I felt it was holding me back a little bit. Also you simply cannot play some race sims with the gyro due to deadzone built into the race sim (F1 games, Project Cars 2).

I sold it and got an Xbox One controller (joystick for steering) and now it seems worse. I've only tried it with AC as I'm trying to get my skill up to where it was with Steam Controller. I'm 3-6 seconds slower than my PR on Laguna Seca in a Lotus Exige 240R, and I spin out way more often. I feel less control with the Xbox One controller.

Should I persist with the Xbox One controller (I only have maybe a few hours with it compared to maybe ~40-50 hours with Steam Controller), or is there a better controller? A wheel sounds like a nightmare in terms of having to have space for it and pedals, and a frame to hold to wheel. I'd consider a wheel if there's some way to move it out of the way when I'm not using it for race sims, and it doesn't weigh 20 kg.

Last edited:
There are plenty of portable and foldable wheel stands out there (a quick google will give you a list to explore) that needn't be expensive or heavy and again plenty of relatively inexpensive options on the wheel & pedal front - each to their own, but you will not only gain on the immersion factor by going down the wheel / pedal route but will likely also be able to control the car better.

Upvote 0
Turns out my input settings were all bad for joystick input on AC and ACC, fixed them now. I'm actually going to persist with Xbox One controller. Maybe if I get frustrated after 100+ hours' practice I'll go for a wheel/pedal setup. I do like immersion (I do karting in real life) so yes that would be another reason. If I got a wheel setup in future I'd probably go for something mid-range as I don't want to be held back by poor force feedback etc, and I only want to ever buy one setup probably, rather than wasting money on upgrading.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 285 27.5%