Swin flu / Mexican flu. Are you worried?

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
I wasn't worried at all until yesterday different sources report different facts..

The dutch government says they can cure anybody that has signs of the Mexican flu with medication. Other sources expect a run on hospitals when the pandemic flu really kicks in, and they fear a lack of global medical resources.

So, are you worried already?

Remember the Spanish flu in the early 1900s? A few million people died world wide!

I just keep having the temptation to talk out loud in supermarkets about how great my Mexican holiday was :p
Bastardo :)

20070702-keep_calm.jpg

The possibility of flu based pandemics is not a joke the last really big one in 1918/1919 killed up to 100 million people worldwide - more than WW1 which had just occurred!! And Mexico are lying about the exact figures of who has been infected and who has died. It's believed that there is allot more people who have died from it then they are making out.

This is why the WHO and other agencies take a safety first approach whenever the mere possibilty of another pandemic emerges.

At this stage its too early to say how this current crisis will turn out and there is no need to panic yet, except to say that medicine and the public heath infrastructure is much more advanced than it was in 1919 so we should never again have a repeat of 1918/1919 but even an event that is 5% as serious would be worse - in terms of loss of life - than say, the Asian Tsunami.

It's mostly media hype. Look up how many people die from the normal flu. Use basic hygienic practices and you should be fine. If you catch it, get it treated.

And what's with people not eating pork anymore for fear of catching it? lol

I'm a little worried with 2 young boys at home and in the USA there has been allot of reported cases popping up nationwide. My job is connected to emergency services and we are constantly updating and training for emergency plans specifically for this Virus. Its no joke and now is the time to contain it. The biggest precaution in prevention is personal hygiene, Washing hands, using disinfectant cleaners. Also reporting any flu type symptoms.

Hope I'm not making anyone paranoid, but thats just basic knowledge about helping to contain the virus. I feel it will be contained but we all need to take it serious.

Only 7 people certain deaths of it and most of the earth think they will die, most overreacted thing to since well ever!!

Most are over reacting true and of the cases reported the ones the most at risk of death are the very young and the very old most in the middle will only get very sick unless they have poor health prior to getting it.

• Kyle Evers

Personally, I am not worried. I find something as minute as only 100 cases nationwide here in the US to be something out of reach of myself. 100/300,000,000 is not very much, and much of it is at one location or another. Not to mention there's plenty of other deadly diseases and viruses I could get that are much more obtainable.

I believe the media is making it out to be much more of a perilous matter than it really is. Thry tend to do that frequently anyway.

I live in Mexico and I am not overly worried... although it does seem quieter around here than normal. I don't live in Mexico City though where most of it was happening. I do see about 20% of people walking/driving with face masks on though.

All schools have been closed until May 6th.

Meh, it's a nice little vacation so I can spend some more time with my new racing sim hobby :p

I'm a little worried with 2 young boys at home and in the USA there has been allot of reported cases popping up nationwide. My job is connected to emergency services and we are constantly updating and training for emergency plans specifically for this Virus. Its no joke and now is the time to contain it. The biggest precaution in prevention is personal hygiene, Washing hands, using disinfectant cleaners. Also reporting any flu type symptoms.

Hope I'm not making anyone paranoid, but thats just basic knowledge about helping to contain the virus. I feel it will be contained but we all need to take it serious.

Amen, basic precautions will save a lot of unnecessary contamination. Whilst, not wanting to sound pessimistic, many people will contract the 'flu, most will be able to fight it off but there will be many, the elderly, infants and immunodeficient who will succumb to it. I don't believe for one second the health service in the UK is prepared for it, no matter what you read.

Amen, basic precautions will save a lot of unnecessary contamination. Whilst, not wanting to sound pessimistic, many people will contract the 'flu, most will be able to fight it off but there will be many, the elderly, infants and immunodeficient who will succumb to it. I don't believe for one second the health service in the UK is prepared for it, no matter what you read.

UK is never ready for anything like this, to much complacency.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 199 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 520 38.5%