Tracks Sveg, Sweden

index.php

is this map still up to date? Its from the other forum thread. Going by it I assume that its a semi permanent track using normal roads at least for the bridge parts, and this change in track surface should be visual and (if possible) "feelable". Regarding pit buildings, you need to play mental "Sims", what is needed where, where would the track marshals sit, where to hold winner ceremony, where are the toilets, which path do pedestrians go to the grandstands, how can rescue vehicles reach each part, where to pull cars that broke down, which corner needs brake markers, for which race series are these placed....

plenty of things to think about

Well if you need someone to test it out at some point let me know. It helps to have a fresh eye look it over that actually knows what they are looking at. I know from my own experience when you look at something for so long you tend to go "blind" and may not see certain things. When most people offer to "beta test" they often just want a early look and say everything is amazing and that really isn't helpful.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that once the track enters beta. Feel free to notify me if you see anything in my screenshots / videos even before that (as you have done with the grass variation already) :)

is this map still up to date? Its from the other forum thread. Going by it I assume that its a semi permanent track using normal roads at least for the bridge parts, and this change in track surface should be visual and (if possible) "feelable". Regarding pit buildings, you need to play mental "Sims", what is needed where, where would the track marshals sit, where to hold winner ceremony, where are the toilets, which path do pedestrians go to the grandstands, how can rescue vehicles reach each part, where to pull cars that broke down, which corner needs brake markers, for which race series are these placed....

plenty of things to think about

I don't want the public roads to look too different from the rest though, as they could well be re-paved for the race track. I might consider this for future releases though, but not for 1.0. Otherwise, I think I have almost all of those points covered to the best of my... ideas, I suppose. Most of these things might be a little difficult to judge from just a video or screenshots though, so if you think you can help once it's in beta I'd be happy to get your feedback as well.

just checking to make sure you are LODing the grass and using KSLAYERS with it. If you don't know how let me know.
The grass you see in the shots is actually 3 objects for each section, with the ratio being roughly 2.4 : 0.9 : 0.6 in terms of the number of pieces in each of the three objects. I haven't named them KSLAYERS yet. Is there anything else I need to take care of in terms of LOD?

You don't have to stagger how many pieces are in each section. They can all have the same number in them. You can go up to 5 layers of you want but 3 works fine.

For skidmarks it really depends on what you had for dinner.....

For the groove and skidmarks you want to use these settings.
View attachment 218058

Then in the groove.ini it should look something like this:
[GROOVE_3]
NAME=nagroove_003
MIN=0
MAX=0.5
MULT=1

The name should match the object name of the groove in your 3D program. This will make it "dynamic". The MIN and MAX controls the alpha value of the shader.
Just tried the shader settings and it works just fine, thanks. :)

Now here's a bunch of questions with respect to skid marks, etc.:
1) Do you have any advice on what resources to use to make good-loking skid marks? Hand-painted or is there something in terms of textures that can be used, or Photoshop brushes...?
2) How many layers of skid marks do you suggest to use? Is there any standard approach? I was thinking one ground layer for just darkening up the racing line all around the track (mildly) + an extra layer for braking zones, one for corners, one for the grid and pit lane. (I wanna go for a realistic look, not the flashy but unrealistic Kunos-look.)
3) How would you handle curbs? An extra set of skid marks just for them seems like an aweful amount of work. Or just using a high poly count object for the skid marks and shrinkwrapping it on a road+curb combined helper object?
4) Any other advice w.r.t. skid marks? Cause that's something I haven't touched at all so far. I highly appreciate every hour of experimentation that is your advice helps me skip :)

Just tried the shader settings and it works just fine, thanks. :)

Now here's a bunch of questions with respect to skid marks, etc.:
1) Do you have any advice on what resources to use to make good-loking skid marks? Hand-painted or is there something in terms of textures that can be used, or Photoshop brushes...?
2) How many layers of skid marks do you suggest to use? Is there any standard approach? I was thinking one ground layer for just darkening up the racing line all around the track (mildly) + an extra layer for braking zones, one for corners, one for the grid and pit lane. (I wanna go for a realistic look, not the flashy but unrealistic Kunos-look.)
3) How would you handle curbs? An extra set of skid marks just for them seems like an aweful amount of work. Or just using a high poly count object for the skid marks and shrinkwrapping it on a road+curb combined helper object?
4) Any other advice w.r.t. skid marks? Cause that's something I haven't touched at all so far. I highly appreciate every hour of experimentation that is your advice helps me skip :)
For my tracks I usually do 4 layers. I like a very light groove all around the track. Light to the point you can barely see it. I hate the kunos tracks where the groove is super dark the whole way around.

The following layers look like this. This is T1 for NJMP. Lowest you see the skidmarks which are hand made. Second is a texture that tries to simulate where the outside tires run so it would be darkest there. The one after that is the main groove all around the track. And final up top is a tire track texture that tries to simulate the rubber lines a slick leaves.

upload_2017-10-29_10-48-18.png

What the objects look like
upload_2017-10-29_10-54-55.png

How it looks in sim
Screenshot_ks_mclaren_650_gt3_njmp_lightning_29-10-117-10-54-5.jpg

I don't do initial brake marks much as I don't really like the look and if you run enough races you will find people will leave them for real when racing so I would prefer to see the marks from actual racing in sim. I usually only put in "mistake" brake marks as shown here.

Now for curbs I'll admit I didn't do anything with them. Some have just let the regular groove shrink over the curbs but I didn't do that. With the Glen I might try that but for NJMP and RIR I vaguely remember not liking the look.

Similar system shown above on Bridgehampton.

Screenshot_ks_mclaren_650_gt3_bridgehampton_29-10-117-10-41-24.jpg

Screenshot_ks_mclaren_650_gt3_bridgehampton_29-10-117-10-41-44.jpg

All groove textures shown are mine that I made by hand.

Last edited:
WOW! That's some of the best, most natural trees I have seen in AC! :confused: Just beautiful - great work! :thumbsup:
Thanks. I actually drove all the way up there by car and took my camera gear to take pictures of trees to use them as textures. I guess it pays off :)

edit: I feel I should clarify that this was during my last holiday in Sweden. I didn't drive all the way from Germany just to take pictures of trees. We stayed in Sveg for a couple days as one of the stops on our holiday. The reason we did include the stop in our holiday was mostly the track though.

Last edited:
You're speaking to a man who take his camera on dog-walks, so he can get textures of old wooden fences, log piles, dead leaves on the side of the road... I understand completely :thumbsup: (I'm not sure that my dog does, though :unsure:)

I have to say I really like how you "work" guys!
Taking pride in it, taking time and when it's done it's just awesome.
I have no idea about the work you do, but I know catia from engineering cad classes and I guess the pain is the same.

Really nice to have you around, providing this level of things which we all can have a great time and a lot of fun with! :)

A bit over sentimental maybe, but I had to say that!

View attachment 219261
on first glance I see that that tree is the same, can you maybe apply some random rotation to trees of the same type?

Thanks for noticing :)

I have the tree in 4 rotation steps: 0, 30, 60, 90 deg rotation, and 120 would be the same as 0 again, since it's Y-trees. I've never managed to get blender to rotate at random around the z-axis, though, which is why I use those pre-defined steps. Why this tree appears to be looked at from the same direction 4/4 times I don't know. Maybe there's something wrong in the particle settings I use. Will check that again next time.

(I don't find this to be a big issue though. The Kunos tracks are full of identical trees as well, and this is something you'd hardly notice while driving.)

edit: random scale is on (I think .3)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 121 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing