Tracks Sveg, Sweden

Hey LilSki, nice seeing you around here. Thanks for the advice, and I will take another look at it (there's one in there but I may not be using it to its full potential yet). If you have more advice for me on how to improve the looks of the track I'm happy to hear it!
You might be using it but it might be too "tight". You want to have smaller numbers like .01 .01 or .009 .009 with a gain of about 0.5 -1.0

Settings
upload_2017-10-17_13-39-12.png

Result. You want to see the slight color variations over distance.
Screenshot_ks_porsche_962c_shorttail_bridgehampton_2-7-117-13-19-57.jpg

I'm not sure if it's suited for large multiclass-fields, I didn't make it with that in mind.
Or what exactly do you mean by "Le Mans competitor"?
Long straights must be very hard on engines and slower types of Motorsport would be dull I imagine.

Long straights must be very hard on engines and slower types of Motorsport would be dull I imagine.
well, you'll at least have a lot of slip stream racing. the track may not be ideal for skip barbers, but for anything from fast road cars and up it should be fine. it's a bit like spa meets melbourne.

update: new main sponsor + "A" support pillars in fence:
__10.jpg

Really nice project. Track looks super clean and well modeled. Trees are really nice, something that doesn't get enough work in most AC tracks, even the stock ones.
Cool going with a single theme. I think this will be a blast for high speed cars barreling along these long straights and bends through the Nordic setting.
Inspiring also that you learned modeling from scratch, I would also like to learn Blender to make a track, but hearing this was 3 year project is very daunting.
Looking forward to release, going to have me Porsche 917/30 Spyder ready..

small update for today:
improved the main safety fence with thinner posts and slightly hanging ropes
__20.jpg

finished the new garage doors:
__19.jpg

put a green cover on the fence in front of the grand stand to avoid having people stand at the fence instead of on going on the stand:
__17.jpg

__18.jpg

@LilSki : I have no idea how to put skid marks on the track. I've tried with semi-transparent textures on top of the road, but that just gave me the ugliest banding ever. How do you do it?

@LilSki : I have no idea how to put skid marks on the track. I've tried with semi-transparent textures on top of the road, but that just gave me the ugliest banding ever. How do you do it?
For skidmarks it really depends on what you had for dinner.....

For the groove and skidmarks you want to use these settings.
upload_2017-10-22_22-7-9.png

Then in the groove.ini it should look something like this:
[GROOVE_3]
NAME=nagroove_003
MIN=0
MAX=0.5
MULT=1

The name should match the object name of the groove in your 3D program. This will make it "dynamic". The MIN and MAX controls the alpha value of the shader.

When I saw the first video here I thought this would be another way too big track that probably stays in a "not so beautiful" state but damn!
This looks stunning! :geek::geek:

And since a wild LilSki appeared, I guess we will see a similar quality as his tracks :geek:

This is just awesome, keep yourself motivated! We'll try to help you with that :):inlove:

Last edited:
When I saw the first video here I thought this would be another way too big track that probably stays in a "not so beautiful" state but damn!
This looks stunning! :geek::geek:

And since a wild LilSki appeared, I guess we will see a similar quality as his tracks :geek:

This is just awesome, keep yourself motivated! We'll try to help you with that :):inlove:

Thanks :) Saying stuff like this really does help with the motivation. The track isn't THAT long btw, it's about as long as Spa I think, so in the 7-8km range.

The challenges of making a fantasy track

Of course, LilSkis tracks are superb and essentially match the quality of Simone's work. And while that kind of quality is certainly what I'm trying to achieve, it's very difficult because of one simple reason:
The track doesn't exist and never did, which means I have to invent everything myself. Starting with the layout, which took months and many iterations since I had no experience with track design whatsoever. But also the look of the track itself (asphalt textures, grass / sand next to the track, transistions, etc.), curbs, markings on the track, walls, guardrails, barriers, fences, pit buildings, grand stands, bridges, etc. -- Making all of this up from scratch and giving it a look that just "fits" and creates the impression that this place could exist in reality is a lot of work and requires lots of experimenting. Did I mention thinking about places to retrieve stranded cars, places for the Marshalls, and walkways to get there? I can't just go there and take pictures for reference for the 3d models (or look at youtube videos). More importantly, I can't just take textures from photos and slap them on there. All that I believe makes it way more difficult for me to create a high visual quality on this track.

What does help of course is that I actually went to the location again 2 months ago to snap some pictures of the trees, plants and environment for reference.

The advantage I have with this fantasy track vs. a modeled real track is of course that I don't need to precisely match a given track and all its little bumps and irregularities, which I imagine can be quite tedious as well if you don't have a laser scan (I believe LilSki will be familiar with this).

Feedback?

So all this is also why I would very much appreciate more detailed feedback or ideas about stuff that might still look a little out of place. For example, I'm still not 100% satisfied with the center pit building (the one with the large glass windows where the podium would go), I could use some input/ ideas for the currently non-existent "flag waver's hut" at start / finish, and I'm not sure about the design of the first long bridge (before turn 3). Or basically anything else that sticks out to you as being unrealistic or unfitting, etc. Or details that I could include on the track, like flag poles, loudspeakers for the grand stand, ideally with an idea about where to put them, maybe even with pictures from similar real race tracks as reference.

Of course this request for feedback mostly goes in the direction of people who know a bit about race track architecture (especially older / smaller tracks that aren't built to meet the FIAs rules for F1 tracks).-- I'd appreciate having a discussion about those design choices I made / make.

Support the project

If you want to support me and this project:
(1) Please subscribe to my youtube channel and leave a like for the videos
(2) If you want to do even more, you can donate to this address via PayPal: donations at leonsuetfeld dot com
(3) Another way of supporting me would be to help me get in touch with companies that might be interested in placing ads on the track, possibly for something in return. I know I already got a few ideas from you guys (and I did reach out to them), but the more the merrier :)

Last edited:
Well if you need someone to test it out at some point let me know. It helps to have a fresh eye look it over that actually knows what they are looking at. I know from my own experience when you look at something for so long you tend to go "blind" and may not see certain things. When most people offer to "beta test" they often just want a early look and say everything is amazing and that really isn't helpful.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 415 39.8%