Tracks Sveg, Sweden

Question @LilSki: Can I combine the KSTREE naming scheme and the KSLAYER naming scheme for LOD? Does the KSLAYER scheme also influence the lower track quality setting (for people with old GPUs)? Is there a good resource to read up on this?
Sadly no KSLAYER does not work using the KSTREE naming. I just tested it to make sure and indeed it does not work. Given that the naming is stripped and the object gets put into blocktransform it loses the kslayer tag.

Sadly no KSLAYER does not work using the KSTREE naming. I just tested it to make sure and indeed it does not work. Given that the naming is stripped and the object gets put into blocktransform it loses the kslayer tag.

Hmm I'll have around 30-40k trees on my track in the end. Would have loved to still make it accessible to low-end GPU users... any ideas?

Hmm I'll have around 30-40k trees on my track in the end. Would have loved to still make it accessible to low-end GPU users... any ideas?
That is a ton of trees. I would think there has to be a way to utilize some tree walls even with your tall trees to get that number down. Or maybe only the first few rows use the KSTREE naming and the rest could be single object and treat them like "grass"?

I just realized I might not really need the cut line in my trees with the method outlined above, so that would already save me half the polys.

I dont think its a good idea to have a full first row of trees that is always on, and then sort of a gap until reaching the tree wall for the lower spec'd users.

I guess AC wasn't made with a lot of forest in mind ;)

It is all a game of compromise. Lower end machines get a less than ideal experience. That is just how it is. But in the end it is up to you. I would recommend making the trees that are further back not have shadows. That can kill frames. Only the first few rows usually need shadows enabled.

It is all a game of compromise. Lower end machines get a less than ideal experience. That is just how it is. But in the end it is up to you. I would recommend making the trees that are further back not have shadows. That can kill frames. Only the first few rows usually need shadows enabled.
I don't have all that many rows of trees... it's maybe 4m until reaching the wall. The problem is that it's pine trees that don't exactly excel at covering up the walls, so I just need a lot of them. but I'll see how low I can go with the numbers.

I don't have all that many rows of trees... it's maybe 4m until reaching the wall. The problem is that it's pine trees that don't exactly excel at covering up the walls, so I just need a lot of them. but I'll see how low I can go with the numbers.
Don't forget about these types of tree walls. Again I know its a different type of tree but There may be something you can do with it.

Screenshot_ks_mclaren_650_gt3_bridgehampton_26-10-117-9-51-49.jpg

From above.
Screenshot_ks_mclaren_650_gt3_bridgehampton_26-10-117-9-51-57.jpg

Ok so I'm playing around with the "noon shadows" for the trees and got them to work, but only if the shadow object and the tree are two separate objects. Something just goes wrong when I join them to one object.

2nd question: I think the noon shadow texture might not even be necessary after all, since the place is so far north that the sun is never straight above the scene, but always at an angle large enough to get rid of that necessity. How do I dial that in? I want the sun to go up and down in the right place.

@LilSki ? Halp? :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back