Tracks Sveg, Sweden

Object, Transform, Randomize transform

upload_2017-10-29_12-27-54.png

Put like 2-3* on X and Y and say 40* on Z

Object, Transform, Randomize transform

View attachment 219263

Put like 2-3* on X and Y and say 40* on Z
Thanks! I don't see why this wouldn't be part of the particle system, but I guess I can make it work (applying it after conversion when all trees are still individual objects, correct?).

And is the number you put in the upper end of the range for a uniform distribution or what does it do? Cause if it is I'd just put in 120° and have the rotation be completely random.

Thanks! I don't see why this wouldn't be part of the particle system, but I guess I can make it work (applying it after conversion when all trees are still individual objects, correct?).

And is the number you put in the upper end of the range for a uniform distribution or what does it do? Cause if it is I'd just put in 120° and have the rotation be completely random.
Particles can do random rotation and scale. That's how my grass is done. But in any case yes once the trees are separate objects (which they should remain separate in order to use KSTREE properly) you can apply the random transform.

As for the max rotation yes technically you can do that.

they should remain separate in order to use KSTREE properly

wait what :O

How is the shader designed to work then? I think I might have around 40k trees in the end, and after conversion of the particle system they are not children to an empty object or anything, so they really clog the object list if I don't join them into one object?! I can't put 40k trees into a parent object manually :O

ok, very interesting, thanks. I'll experiment with the divided trees next time I'm on it. But how do you handle thousands of trees in your blender project (or maybe just hundreds in your case)?
can't you parent them to a Empties? Or move them to selected layers

For Bridgehampton I had a separate trees blend file and they were put in their own kn5 file. And yes even without separate files using the different layers is good. But as you might know blender starts to have a heart attack when you have 1000s of objects where undo functions and such get real slow. That's why I used a separate file.

For Bridgehampton I had a separate trees blend file and they were put in their own kn5 file. And yes even without separate files using the different layers is good. But as you might know blender starts to have a heart attack when you have 1000s of objects where undo functions and such get real slow. That's why I used a separate file.

Yea that's what I was afraid of... it's not exactly very usable in handling many objects in a scene. I don't get how there isn't something like ctrl+G in Photoshop to instantly put all selected objects into a newly created folder / empty parent, or even an option of selecting a list of objects with shift+click. Or changing something like the parent folder or some setting for multiple objects at the same time.

Or is there? Cause I've spent so many hours doing all of these things for each object individually. Of course you can use different layers and select everything visible in that layer at once, but it's not ideal having the scene spread across multiple layers and always performing acrobatics to see it all at the same time.

Sorry for the rant... ;-)

Very very impressive Leon. It's looking fantastic. Love looking at your shots and seeing how you've done things... Keep at it, can't wait to load it up and fly around looking at all the details you've done.

Reading threads like these just make me sadly realise how much I have to learn to bring my track to life. :D :p

Yea that's what I was afraid of... it's not exactly very usable in handling many objects in a scene. I don't get how there isn't something like ctrl+G in Photoshop to instantly put all selected objects into a newly created folder / empty parent, or even an option of selecting a list of objects with shift+click. Or changing something like the parent folder or some setting for multiple objects at the same time.

Or is there? Cause I've spent so many hours doing all of these things for each object individually. Of course you can use different layers and select everything visible in that layer at once, but it's not ideal having the scene spread across multiple layers and always performing acrobatics to see it all at the same time.

Sorry for the rant... ;-)
I always fill every layer in blender. I rarely ever have a need to look at the whole scene in blender but that is just how I work. I always use separate kn5 files as it makes it easier to build smaller pieces instead of compiling the whole track.

There's definitely a way to set parent on all selected objects, I believe you select them all, add select the object you want to be parent so it's active, then ctrl+p (make parent)

Selecting in the outliner is kinda crappy, you have to use regular select tools (ctrl+b for box select for example) to highlight what you want then right click and choose 'Select' to turn them into real selections. Or click in the whitespace to the left of the object name to highlight single objects.

Once they have a parent you can use 'select hierarchy' in the right click menu though, that's more convenient.

There's definitely a way to set parent on all selected objects, I believe you select them all, add select the object you want to be parent so it's active, then ctrl+p (make parent)

Selecting in the outliner is kinda crappy, you have to use regular select tools (ctrl+b for box select for example) to highlight what you want then right click and choose 'Select' to turn them into real selections. Or click in the whitespace to the left of the object name to highlight single objects.

Once they have a parent you can use 'select hierarchy' in the right click menu though, that's more convenient.
I'll try it when I get home, but you may have saved me a couple hours over the next few months ;)

so is there a way of selecting a range of objects, with shift + click? not even this "gray highlighting" seems to care for shift+click for me. Say I have 100 objects in a flat list, no parenting whatsoever and I want to select objects 30-70. is there some way I can do this in the outliner, without selecting them all manually?

OfVMP1B.png

If you click the actual object name it selects them normally (replacing old selections, same as if you right clicked it in the 3d view), if you click off to the left it does the grey highlights.

I needed to do this anyway so I took some screenshots, hopefully it's enough tosee what's up.

OfVMP1B.png

If you click the actual object name it selects them normally (replacing old selections, same as if you right clicked it in the 3d view), if you click off to the left it does the grey highlights.

I needed to do this anyway so I took some screenshots, hopefully it's enough tosee what's up.
And the Oscar for "most awkward selection logic" goes to...

thanks a lot! This helps, but is there any way of selecting objects that are not currently visible in the outliner (i.e. where scrolling would be necessary)? If I wanna select say 200 objects that have no parent?

Are they named in a specific way? I often use Select, select pattern. Then say if the objects have the word tree in there I put in *tree* and it select all objects with that in the name.

Are they named in a specific way? I often use Select, select pattern. Then say if the objects have the word tree in there I put in *tree* and it select all objects with that in the name.
sometimes they do... I could certainly consider this when naming them :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back