Suspension diagrams and spring rate/wheel rate ratios - of any use?

Lately, I've been writing a small program to draw diagrams of the suspension geometry of cars in G-Motor based games. What it also does is provide the ratio between wheel rates and spring rates on your car.

Since the mounting angle of the spring/damper, and various leverage effects can influence the 'hardness' of the suspension, I thought it'd be a good idea to look into this on a car-by-car basis, so came up with a program to do it quickly. It's helped me quickly diagnose some handling issues too. Such as in the GT500 mod for GTR2, I couldn't get on with the handling of a lot of cars. Always found them too unstable. And after looking at the diagrams produced by this program, I found that the wheel rates at the front of most of the cars was more than double that at the rears!

You can read more about it, and see some previews of it in action on my blog here. The example provided is from an rFactor mod, but Race 07 compatibility is already working.

What do you guys think? Would you find this useful? Is there anything else I should take into account?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back