Survey for an endurance series

[GTR Evo] Survey for an endurance series

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of creating an endurance series, with 6 events on monthly basis. Each race should last at least 2 hours. It's all about an intense enduro race for the complete field.
To get a constant filled grid through the series, I was thinking of some changes of the great endurance race series initiated by Eric Kaczmarek last year.

-there will be an overall championship ranking, with a weight penalty regulation (similar to the Japanese SUPER GT series) in order to give the normal people a chance closing the gap towards the top guns in a race

-there will be only one carclass, to circumvent the fast degrading class grids either through absences before or crashes in the race

preliminary race schedule:

Qualification (superpole) starts @ 18:00 GMT
Warm-Up starts @ 18:25 GMT
Race starts (1 flying lap) @ 18:30 GMT

23.01.2010 Autodromo Internacional do algarve, or Mid Ohio, or Rouen 1955-1970 layout
13.02.2010 TBA through poll
20.03.2010 Paul Ricard HTTT or TBA through poll
24.04.2010 Road One or TBA through poll
22.05.2010 Interlagos or TBA through poll
05.06.2010 Le Mans 1977-1985 or TBA through poll

If you interested, please give a feedback to question in the poll and in this thread.

I voted in every option :p
Well, I just wanted to "say" I'm interested in this but I didn't want to influence the pool in anyway... Obviously I've previews Saturday RD leagues comitments (FPWS) and as such they take precedence.
Tobias, we have talked about this a bit through PMs but since there is now this forum topic, I might as well post here...

They are IMHO too fast and difficult in overtaking out of the slipstream due to high aero needs (similar to last RDSTL season).

I know from where you come with the (correct RL) idea that faster/higher aerodynamic dependent car, harder it is to overtake…. Saying that, in the past RDSTL season I didn’t had much trouble regarding overtakes. On average everyone I couldn’t overtake, either was faster than me or circulated with a pace very similar to mine. Also, I got overtaken a few times (above 1 overtake/race) without much trouble… as you know I was far from the quickest, but always fought for the top 5 in every event.

On top of this I think the “endurance” nature of events doesn’t ”glue” well together with "close/constant fight" racing idea… For instances, the idea I can keep a faster racer for 2-3 hrs behind me is to say the least kind of "ludicrous".
Won’t the promise of a close race attract people that clearly don’t belong among endurance racers? For instances, although I don’t race the rFactor endurance events, I do follow the forum and it seems to me that there are clearly people there without an “endurance” mind (the races there are in compressed time with driver switch), well at least in development still :D

I do “endurance” events (before I did them here, did it in another clubs) because of their special nature… and close fighting (level racing), although welcome (if not artificially imposed, ie take those extra 50 kg:7:) isn’t something I aim or which for in an endurance event.

To me (& a few other weirdoes) the Race series endurance events serve the propose of trying to emulate in the best possible way something SimBin decided to lose between GTR2 and Race.

Endurance racing brings into equation some things that are pretty much out of question in less than 120 minutes events, engine/fuel management for instances to say a few.

Equal cars imply possible equal race strategies; even more if the tyres are the original SimBin ones, even if they aren’t (different compounds), if the fuel capacity is low, in the end the race tactics (part of the fun of endurance events) will be all about equal.

Last year, with Eric, we tried it all… Excluding those above 25 racers events, we tried only GTP (with Ferrari, Lamborghini & Bugatti among them), all 3 GT classes (9/8/8) and GTP + GTS (13/12).
In effect the all including GTP class (with the MOD cars) was 2 classes as GTR2 GTPs had at the time only 100l fuel capacity. But it was fun, we had cars for all tastes in the grid (I think the Bugatti was the only one missing at the start).

The Idea of having different classes is to bring the real live feel to endurance racing, since in every FIA endurance championehsip/throphy there are mixed classes and racers are appreciated by how well they can deal with slower/faster cars overtaking. Many known quick racers didn’t have a long endurance carrier just because they couldn’t deal well with that “damn Porsche” in the middle of the apex… ;)
I do know that the 25 car limit and consequent car dispersion is not welcome. Because of it we went with 2 classes as we sow it is as a balance between giving the real endurance feel and not having classes that were depleted of cars after a few minutes.
With the advent of the endurance MOD for rFactor many people went running there (me too) as clearly (theoretically) that platform is better suited to endurance racing. The truce is that not only another club keeps using 40 racers line-ups for Evo (removing the 25 racers cap... but we should avoid that, potential for “too much trouble” is high) but also rFactor inherent short-comes soon where remembered to all but the “personally” involved. So I think there is room for such “small” (when compared to rFactor) 25 racers Evo events … well, at least after the first event we will know for sure :D

So…

• Yes, the Oz V8 and Porsche cup are fun to drive, they also adapt well to endurance racing… but they are basically equal :(
  • The GTP mod is an interesting option since in only one class gives much car variety and likely a few different tactics. (btw the model number sharing with F1 mod makes them incompatible).
  • The GTS class… well, balanced… yes, it is perhaps the most balanced GT class (especially when compared with GTC), but… the cars have very different potentials. As I did a full endurance championship with these in another club, I can say that the M3, C6 and the C8 are in a class of their own… The Marcos, Seat & the Mosler, well, good luck :tongue:
  • The GTC class; there is the Viper and there are the others :flat: …but, it is a very fun class with both Z4 & Vertigo excelling (specially the Vertigo) where the Viper fails. Btw, around the Nord, the Viper GTC can do times quicker than the GTS Seat :D (The GTS Seat isn’t all “bad”… it has a very good mid range torque… important when exiting certain type of corners)

Fundamentally, this is a virtual racing club, as such I think it should help people (who want) to learn more about the in deeps of motor racing (a knowledge fan does much for the motor sport in a positive way… an ignorant one… that’s another matter). Everyone should do the best of his/her ability with what it has. Not the winner takes all kind of crap we see everyday nowadays F1/WRC… So in all endurance events I did here in the house so far there were multiple winners… "class" winners… “crap car class” winners… I completed a “4hrs stint” winners… "I trashed my car but avoid everyone else" winner… we get the idea.

Saying all this, after all these lines (sorry :D), whatever comes I will likely join :tongue: hmm... I don’t see one of the endurance cathedrals there, yes “power hill Nord”… don’t tell me you can’t overtake in there… as I always let quicker racers go by me in an endurance event (and others too) :D

Btw Rouen is "old School" so I doubt... but yes, it is obviiusly to my like :p

I'd be up for this if it doesn't clash with Formula Pro league:veryhappy:.

GT PRO or FIA GT class would be my preferences:p.

EDIT: Crap forgot to say Saturdays are better for me as I work nights here in the UK so weekdays would be a no go for me.

Hmm. I guess Interlagos, Donington and Brands are significantly shorter than tracks like Nordschleife (lol).

When the Targa Florio track for rF is released, I'd love to do a club event on that with the World Sportscar 170 mod. Now that would be fantastic!

Hmm. I guess Interlagos, Donington and Brands are significantly shorter than tracks like Nordschleife (lol).

When the Targa Florio track for rF is released, I'd love to do a club event on that with the World Sportscar 170 mod. Now that would be fantastic!

Remember we are talking about 2hours + of racing:) so at Interlagos you would have to do 328432465362 57645237 laps... it might get a little boring and repetitive after lap 348623746234:) not to mention some people will receive 3827527345 blue flags :)

Ohh the sweet memory of Spa endurance race. It was a fantastic race. Count me in fella. I'll race anything you throw at me in these events. The race is all decided prior to the event itself if you commit to your practice test and strategy, unless you cook it out of a turn like moi.

Who be the next King of Endurance?

...The memories. :D

Yes, the memories because we went around there for over 3hrs... in the end we all desperately need a good bath... but those kind of things stay in our virtual racing memory for some time :)

Btw, like Eric typed the track is important... don't forget that the time limit for Evo events is 120 minutes, we go around that with the lap numbers. So the track has to be a long one, or better, a lap around 2+ minutes works well... much shorter lap times we are going into shorter events. For instances, I like Brands Indy, but not only 100 laps there would take less than 2 hrs but also I think I would be dizzy in the end :D

Btw, don’t forget that Paul Ricard has a lap cap, so some easy editing has to be made…

typed the track is important... don't forget that the time limit for Evo events is 120 minutes, we go around that with the lap numbers. So the track has to be a long one, or better, a lap around 2+ minutes works well... much shorter lap times we are going into shorter events. For instances, I like Brands Indy, but not only 100 laps there would take less than 2 hrs but also I think I would be dizzy in the end :D
With a little help from mWeight up to 180 laps per Track are possible, so we can drive 3h at Brands Indy.:drool:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 457 39.3%