Support for modding in Assetto Corsa 2

I think we can all agree that the biggest and most important quality of Assetto Corsa is the community content that has extended the game's lifespan waaaaay beyond initial expectations. If Assetto Corsa 2 is going to be a success, mod support will be crucial to that.

Edit: If you're in support of this, please don't forget to upvote using the button on the right hand side ------------------------------------------>

Last edited:
Along with AC1-like mod support, I'd like to see them take advantage of the Steam Workshop as well as a first-party content manager. Steam Workshop allows for easy updating, etc. without the hassle of manually checking and updating. There are great third party content managers, so may be just bring them on the development team is ideal.

I would actually hope they'd make it not too easy to convert cars. Something as easy as "provide at least two LOD stages and a custom collider" could weed out two thirds of all those "facebook mods".

I think mods are my biggest problem with AC. I've not played it for a couple of years and I wouldn't know where to start now. There are some truly fantastic mods out there, but also a lot of junk. Whenever I used to load it up I could guarantee that something was broken so I never bother now.

So I would suggest an 'approved mod' system. A bit like the MSFS in game marketplace, where the mods can be downloaded and installed in-game, and have a rating and review system. That way hopefully the crap mods can easily be ignored or removed.

It's also more welcoming for people who haven't used mods before since they don't need to mess with any files, and it gives a good marketplace for the premium paid mods. You could see if any updates are needed for mods in-game without having to check the original source.

(Downside: might reduce traffic to RD ;))
This. AC’s legendary status is built mostly on mod capability, but everyone complains about the junk mods. Providing MORE tools and approval processes for modders could solve this problem. If they need to defray the cost of developing those tools, they could make them paid DLC, and only people willing to pay for them would do modding, which would weed out people who aren’t serious about doing it right.

I think we can all agree that the biggest and most important quality of Assetto Corsa is the community content that has extended the game's lifespan waaaaay beyond initial expectations. If Assetto Corsa 2 is going to be a success, mod support will be crucial to that.

Edit: If you're in support of this, please don't forget to upvote using the button on the right hand side ------------------------------------------>
mod support will be fine... very fine

I think its all about the engine and the next generation development. If they make it moddable there is likely to be issues with console ports. Re-writing of the game engine or take on someone elses? And that is fraught with issues. If you take the unreal 4.5 or 5 route then you will get a visually outstanding game with possible liveries as mods like we see in ACC. I certainly did not see the Mod community reach fever pitch till the last 4 years of AC's development. I would like to see someone dish out an engine that can challenge next gen and make it moddable but it's highly unlikely as these do not grow on trees.

Last edited:
Mods are the reason why AC is such a success, we all know this. It's only logical to hope that the same idea be implemented again in AC2. Otherwise it would be another car simulator like many others and wouldn't have that edge putting them ahead of the others sims.

This is all just guesses from my part but I am wondering though how automakers and license/rights owners feel about a game coming out that allows/encourages modding which introduces cars and models in the game that the rights weren't paid for. I would image that they must not be alright at all with this and wouldn't surprise me if they demand some form of insurance that this doesn't happen in AC2 as a condition to even allow Kunos to get permission to model their cars for AC2.

From what I can guess this is an issue with the game moving forward.

I hope I'm completely wrong 'cause I can see this ruining the fun for everybody.

Last edited:
I don't agree with mod support, I'm an exception in this I think. It's a lot of hassle with constant updates and the quality is 90% of the time not good (how many good looking trackmods are there for AC? That look and play as good as the original AC tracks? IMO not many)

I prefer great content with the same consistency as AMS2 has. That is way better then AC1 has IMO. Let's hope that they won't depend for their content on free content makers but that they put their own effort in like Reiza does.
1. There are over 60 good looking tracks in my AC installation - not many simulators have that much. Surely there are hundreds (thousands?) of bad ones but no one force you to use them.

2. There are almost 500 high quality cars in my installation (they match or exceed Kunos quality) thanks to the modding community. How many games have that? In AMS2 there are maybe 200 cars at best.

If AC2 is not moddable it will die on the vine. What makes AC great, what has made other sims (GTL,GTR2) long lasting and enjoyable is all of the available add ons. It would be a big mistake (ie,cars,pcars2 and even rfactor2(after 9 years)) for it to be unmoddable.

Last edited:
I would actually hope they'd make it not too easy to convert cars. Something as easy as "provide at least two LOD stages and a custom collider" could weed out two thirds of all those "facebook mods".
Why do you want to "weed people out"? Why not just let everybody be happy?

Don't like, don't use.

Last edited:
Why do you want to "weed people out"? Why not just let everybody be happy?

Don't like, don't use.
Because we don't need anymore stolen stuff drowning out the actual creators. Why would anyone start and finish the process of modelling, texturing and..."physicking" their dream car, a process that takes like a year, when Facebook Freddy can just rip the same car model from Forza, copy whatever physics onto it and spend more time on making a release trailer than on making the actual car?

Because we don't need anymore stolen stuff drowning out the actual creators. Why would anyone start and finish the process of modelling, texturing and..."physicking" their dream car, a process that takes like a year, when Facebook Freddy can just rip the same car model from Forza, copy whatever physics onto it and spend more time on making a release trailer than on making the actual car?
Who's "we" mate? Talk for yourself and don't try to push your tyranny over to others, that's all, everybody's responsible for his own. As I said, don't like, don't use.

Last edited:
To be honest I think that 'modding' should also be available for the 'relatively inept' user, not just the smarty's that provide us with new skins and even complete cars and tracks, but those that wish to mod/change a few things about their cars like removing a couple of kilos, adding a couple of horses, or even using a different sound clip from another car.
Those are the kind of things that are found in the EOU 'car' 'ini' files that can make a difference to how a player views her/his game/sim.
The things mentioned above are just a smidgen of what the user is easily able to achieve in GTL/GTR2, and that's from a couple of decades ago. (if you're listening Ian)

And, before I'm attacked for advocating cheating, I don't recommend these changes for on-line acceptance without consent of, and availability to, other competitors on that private server.

Mod support ok but only if it’s not detrimental to final product quality. If Kunos devs have to restrict themselves to allow mods, then that’s a no go.

Also, from a customer perspective, mods are cool. From Kunos perspective, how can they expect manage to make money on the long term if mods are competing against DLCs?

Mod support ok but only if it’s not detrimental to final product quality. If Kunos devs have to restrict themselves to allow mods, then that’s a no go.

Also, from a customer perspective, mods are cool. From Kunos perspective, how can they expect manage to make money on the long term if mods are competing against DLCs?
Ehm, do you by any chance know a sim called Assetto Corsa, the original?
:roflmao:

You dream something and if it doesn't come true, then mom is dry.
A gentleman waits, drinks a good cup of tea and examines the result.
Everything else is building a castle in the air and only ensures that your own expectations are not met.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back