Supercross 3 | New Physics Preview Trailer

Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame 3 was recently announced by Milestone, and in this new video we get to take a look at some of the physics changes under the hood of the new title.

Probably the least snappy title of any modern racing game, Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame 3 (hereby known in future articles as simply 'Supercross 3') has undergone something of a reset for the third instalment into the series - Milestone having taken some of the lessons from previous editions into consideration as they look to continue expanding and improving upon what is proving to be a popular new two wheel racing franchise.

'The new trailer gives a glimpse of the huge work made by the studio to create a new physics system that will affect both on track and in air gameplay' said a press release accompanying the latest game trailer. 'By popular demand, the studio worked a lot on the air physics, setting free the air rotation system and allowing players to freely perform their whips and scrubs. Tracks are now more alive, thanks to revised particles of fireworks, flames, dry and wet ground that are more detailed and realistic. Rider and secondary character models have been completely re-made from scratch with photo scanning that now feature a new set of animations. The new model system allowed to add for the first time a Female Rider model with its own animations'.

Supercross 3 is set to launch February 4th on PS4, Xbox One, PC, Stadia and Nintendo Switch.

Monster Energy Supercross 3 - 2.jpg
Monster Energy Supercross 3 - 3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

el_mattpro

100RPM
Finally some improvement ... we all love those amazing graphics but the movement was so Arcade that it gets boring really fast

RKip455

Attack Life, its going to Kill you Anyway!
Premium
Finally some improvement ... we all love those amazing graphics but the movement was so Arcade that it gets boring really fast
They are not going to make it full-on simulation... besides with a controller, would it really be a Sim anyway????

My biggest issue is they should add the outdoors MX USA as a huge DLC! Get it right and build on it!

KittX

250RPM
Still no MX Bikes coverage. Currently there are 4 major motocross games/series that are going (well, MXGP and Supercross are separate though kinda the same, so it's even 5), and only MXGP/Supercross are covered here.
Meanwhile, MX Bikes is getting better and better now, and it's a simulation, which also has a VR support...

Paul Jeffrey

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief
Staff
Premium
Meanwhile, MX Bikes is getting better and better now, and it's a simulation, which also has a VR support...
Hmmm not familiar with that one I don't think - thanks for the heads up chap - I'll look into it and add it to the list of news sources to review!

Please, if you ever think we are 'missing' something we should cover - drop me a PM and tell me! I'm pretty much a one man band on the news posting, so with the best will in the world I'm going to miss some stuff, especially as I'm only doing this in the evening after me real job finishes.. any pointers in directions of interesting things to cover are always welcomed :)

Cheers!

Paul Jeffrey

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief
Staff
Premium
Edit: Realise I have spotted this before, but forgot about it... added to the list :cool::thumbsup:

RKip455

Attack Life, its going to Kill you Anyway!
Premium
Still no MX Bikes coverage. Currently, there are 4 major motocross games/series that are going (well, MXGP and Supercross are separate though kinda the same, so it's even 5), and only MXGP/Supercross are covered here.
Meanwhile, MX Bikes is getting better and better now, and it's a simulation, which also has VR support...
PiBoso states that neither AI or Creer mode is in the game. Also, nine months to release the full version... I think he posted that 18 months ago. I'll be happy to support him, but he never finished the MotoGP Sim he started as well.

Finally, he states this..... VR has been removed.... So actually it does not support VR, I guess it does work poorly though. Just asking, not at all criticizing

VR Support .

Due to negative reviews and feedback relating specifically to the VR implementation in MX Bikes, we have removed the VR tag from the store page. This means it will no longer show up in the VR section of Steam.
This does NOT mean we're removing VR or stopping development on it. We'll continue to refine VR in future updates to try and make it a better experience.

Last edited:

KittX

250RPM
PiBoso states that neither AI or Creer mode is in the game. Also, nine months to release the full version... I think he posted that 18 months ago. I'll be happy to support him, but he never finished the MotoGP Sim he started as well.

Finally, he states this..... VR has been removed.... So actually it does not support VR, I guess it does work poorly though. Just asking, not at all criticizing

VR Support .

Due to negative reviews and feedback relating specifically to the VR implementation in MX Bikes, we have removed the VR tag from the store page. This means it will no longer show up in the VR section of Steam.
This does NOT mean we're removing VR or stopping development on it. We'll continue to refine VR in future updates to try and make it a better experience.

Thanks for heads-up about VR problem.
As for long development - moto simulations is so extreme niche, there are virtually no controls in the market apart from uber expensive ones, which usually are way off the budget of standard MX Simulation public, most of which is youth, and playing such sims with gamepad is quite a torture, but there's no other choice.
MX Simulator has been in very slow development since 2007 and for a decade it was the only option, and it's ridiculous how much user support it received in motocross-related public, in a good way, but the progress on the core engine/mechanics/interface/graphics hasn't progressed really much over the decade. Now there's MX Bikes, which does some things a little better, other things a little worse, but now the demand and userbase of this title started finally growing, so the developement pace raised now. There are some neat daily update reports too. But both cases are the titles being developed by one man.
I just don't see reason why everyone in racing sim scene limit themselves only to MX vs ATV or MXGP or Supercross series, it's like we would refuse to go exploring AC, rF2, iRacing, AMS; and stuck only with NFS or Forza Horizon series.

Last edited:

Ruy Horta

250RPM
I can imagine VR being a problem.
Not creating a VR POV, but the way the game plays.

Bikes are not cars and it is hard enough to create a simulation with the limited controls we have on PC, now add a virtual experience without an actual bike to sit on...

Unlike a car or flight sim, where you have a wheel/joystick and seat to replicate the real situation, the bike sim has neither and will remain an unsatisfying experience whatever solution (other than an actual bike analog you sit on).

MX is even worse to get right in VR compared to street bikes.

Again I am not talking about the VR POV, but complete VR experience.

Back to SX3, good news.
SX and SX2 are nice games, they are on the right track - as they have been with the MX series MX3 & 2019 (pro handles differently, but still fun, MX and MX2 were not bad, but held back by engine).

Dazmaniac

1000RPM
Well if you like things for nowt, Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Video Game is one of the free games this month on PS+ on Playstation Store.

Granted, might not be the greatest bike game ever made, but hard to knock it for free.

It looks pretty good, I just hope that they didn't "Improve" and "Rebuild" the physics like they said and did with MXGP 2019... Hopefully this THQ buyout will prove successful.

And thanks to the buyout, and THQ holding the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross license, we might have an offical AMA Outdoor MX game.

Top Bottom