SuperCars | GM Announce Termination of Holden Brand - What Next For Supercars?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
General Motors have confirmed that the Holden brand will cease to exist by 2021, leaving many teams and drivers of Australia's premier racing series with serious concerns heading into the next decade.

Since practically the beginning of time, the Australian Supercars series has been a battle between Ford and Holden (with the occasional short term rival thrown into the mix), however come the 2021 racing season that is all set to end - with General Motors confirming the Holden name will be shut down and cars removed from sale at the end of the current year.

“I’ve often said that we will do the right thing, even when it’s hard, and this is one of those times,” announced GM chairman and CEO Mary Barra.​

“We are restructuring our international operations, focusing on markets where we have the right strategies to drive robust returns, and prioritizing global investments that will drive growth in the future of mobility, especially in the areas of EVs and AVs.
“While these actions support our global strategy, we understand that they impact people who have contributed so much to our company. We will support our people, our customers and our partners, to ensure an orderly and respectful transition in the impacted markets.”

Holden models are currently on sale in Australia and New Zealand, however the slowdown of global car sales continue to affect the motor industry, and with an ever increasing drive towards investing in electrification, it looks like the famous brand are going to be the latest victim of the industry changes.

In Supercar terms, Triple Eight Race Engineering have an existing contract with the manufacturer up to the conclusion of the 2021 racing season, a deal that is looking increasingly in doubt following the announcement of Holden closing its doors. Holden Managing Director Kristian Aquilina went to on to confirm the manufacturer are going to "talk about the appropriate transition" with the team in the coming days, and would only confirm the brand have "intention is to still go racing in 2020 whilst we’ve got Holden vehicles out there in dealer showrooms.”

Rocky times for one of the best racing series in the world.

Original Source: Touringcartimes

Holden 2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow....... as times goes by Formula E is going to be less and less derided and will be the pinnacle of racing....

Personally not happy about it, but no going back now...

"Unfortunately one of the issues is that many of the people that have been barracking for the Holden brand over the last 10 years or so haven't actually been buying the product, for whatever reason. It's a fact of life that people have been turning up to watch the races in other brands."
Roland Dane

There hasn’t been an actual Holden car or Ford racing in V8 SuperCars for many years. V8 SuperCars are purpose built race cars using common chassis/engine setups. Gone are the days of racing a car you could buy the original from a dealership.

That just sounds like racing since like 1960.

The bigger picture here is .....Electric....

When I returned to Sim Racing in 2005 the V8Supercars Championship became my go to series, I started too and still to this day watch it religiously, I even flew halfway round the world to Australia twice to watch them race at 4 different circuits.

I spent a lot of time in the museum around the classic Holdens at Bathurst and loved the historicas race over the top of the mountain, then came the chance to drive an old spec Holden Supercar at Queensland a year later, they became a huge part of my life and those memories I will cherish forever.

My beloved Diecast Holdens have probably doubled in price, but to me they're priceless as is the memory of watching them over the years. They will of course forever live in the virtual world like so many ex-manufactures and even tracks, so at least we have something to remember them by when we fancy a drive. A bit like when your favourite band breaks up, they may not play anymore but you'll still get to hear them play on the stereo.

What does it mean to the future of the real life series? Who knows, i just hope it doesn't die a slow and painful death.

Its so sad to see a huge part of Australian culture killed off, so whenever I see a Holden on the streets of England I shall give them a nod & a smile x

#RIPHolden

When I returned to Sim Racing in 2005 the V8Supercars Championship became my go to series, I started too and still to this day watch it religiously, I even flew halfway round the world to Australia twice to watch them race at 4 different circuits.

I spent a lot of time in the museum around the classic Holdens at Bathurst and loved the historicas race over the top of the mountain, then came the chance to drive an old spec Holden Supercar at Queensland a year later, they became a huge part of my life and those memories I will cherish forever.

My beloved Diecast Holdens have probably doubled in price, but to me they're priceless as is the memory of watching them over the years. They will of course forever live in the virtual world like so many ex-manufactures and even tracks, so at least we have something to remember them by when we fancy a drive. A bit like when your favourite band breaks up, they may not play anymore but you'll still get to hear them play on the stereo.

What does it mean to the future of the real life series? Who knows, i just hope it doesn't die a slow and painful death.

Its so sad to see a huge part of Australian culture killed off, so whenever I see a Holden on the streets of England I shall give them a nod & a smile x

#RIPHolden
A great story MarcG, made me tear up, Lol. I live in Australia and V8 Supercars and the older Touring Cars have been a huge part of my life. Fingers crossed they can come up with a solution. I would be happy if they used the Chevrolet Camaro in replacement. It wouldn't be the same thing but it would be pretty cool, Camaro v Mustang...

Wow....... as times goes by Formula E is going to be less and less derided and will be the pinnacle of racing....

I'd rather watch sim racing. In fact generally if there's just F-E on I'll go watch a twitch sim-racing stream instead because I genuinely find it more entertaining. Sim-racing is ... probably, going to get more and more realistic If anyone can afford to actually put together & sell a sim in future. Costs of that are not going to get any lower.

Holden has been going downhill for a while - really is sad times for the V8s :S I wonder if they could adopt BTCC rules, better than just disappearing.

That just sounds like racing since like 1960.

The bigger picture here is .....Electric....

Somewhat out of context.
This is not a electric vs gas topic, but GM higher management looking at ways of maximizing profits. Jobs etc unimportant.

As far as I know the actual Holden Supercar is based on the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia.
But Opel isn´t part of GM anymore......so there will be no base.

Maybe GM will come back with the Camaro? We will see.......

Somewhat out of context.
This is not a electric vs gas topic, but GM higher management looking at ways of maximizing profits. Jobs etc unimportant.

From article:

“We are restructuring our international operations, focusing on markets where we have the right strategies to drive robust returns, and prioritizing global investments that will drive growth in the future of mobility, especially in the areas of EVs and AVs."

Maybe GM will come back with the Camaro? We will see.......

After last year's domination by the Mustangs, I had hopes to see the Holden teams develop the Camaro as their signature body.
However, after now experiencing the shabby way GM have treated Australia this week, I would like to see Holden Racing dump GM completely and adopt the Mustang. Who cares if it becomes a one make Ford show, the focus should be on the drivers and the V8 Supercar category / series.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 387 39.8%