SuperCars | GM Announce Termination of Holden Brand - What Next For Supercars?

After last year's domination by the Mustangs, I had hopes to see the Holden teams develop the Camaro as their signature body.
However, after now experiencing the shabby way GM have treated Australia this week, I would like to see Holden Racing dump GM completely and adopt the Mustang. Who cares if it becomes a one make Ford show, the focus should be on the drivers and the V8 Supercar category / series.

You are sort of missing the point, i have been to Oz and the Holden/Ford rivalry makes brexit look like a kids party.
Aussie supercars IS Holden vs Ford.
Whole familes only buy Holdens or Fords.
It is a religion.
It is over as we know it.

Been a fan for about 13 or so years since I caught a race on Motors TV, this is really sad news. Then again like Warren mentions I was thinking a move to Camaro's would be a better option in the fight v Mustangs. I'm not to clear on elgibility rules but seeing as 3 door coupes are allowed I'd like to see GTRs back instead of the crappy Altima.

Been a fan for about 13 or so years since I caught a race on Motors TV, this is really sad news. Then again like Warren mentions I was thinking a move to Camaro's would be a better option in the fight v Mustangs. I'm not to clear on elgibility rules but seeing as 3 door coupes are allowed I'd like to see GTRs back instead of the crappy Altima.

I can see Supercars opening up the Gen3 Regulations to entice potentially more marquees onto the grid. There's already talk of the Two-Door option being expanded as it were to allow for more Sportscar style rides, what they need to do is bring in one that wants to stick around for a long time and properly become established unlike the recent ones; The Volvo was great (oh man the Sound of it at Bathurst is a wet dream!) but ultimately the Swedes quite pathetically pulled out, the Merc was OK (saw it win at Barbagallo!) and I actually quite liked the Nissan but they didn't like the direction Supercars were going so used excuses to back out.

Essentially Seamer & Co need to open it up more to attract more, unfortunately this may include a Hybrid/Electric style Option as it's quite clear the Big Manufacturers are all heading in that direction. The fact they dropped the V8 from the title a few seasons back and trialled a V6 suggests they are well aware that changes must happen, personally I'd hate an electric entry though!

Either way it'll be an interesting few years ahead and I for one will still be watching - religiously!

When I returned to Sim Racing in 2005 the V8Supercars Championship became my go to series, I started too and still to this day watch it religiously, I even flew halfway round the world to Australia twice to watch them race at 4 different circuits.

I spent a lot of time in the museum around the classic Holdens at Bathurst and loved the historicas race over the top of the mountain, then came the chance to drive an old spec Holden Supercar at Queensland a year later, they became a huge part of my life and those memories I will cherish forever.

My beloved Diecast Holdens have probably doubled in price, but to me they're priceless as is the memory of watching them over the years. They will of course forever live in the virtual world like so many ex-manufactures and even tracks, so at least we have something to remember them by when we fancy a drive. A bit like when your favourite band breaks up, they may not play anymore but you'll still get to hear them play on the stereo.

What does it mean to the future of the real life series? Who knows, i just hope it doesn't die a slow and painful death.

Its so sad to see a huge part of Australian culture killed off, so whenever I see a Holden on the streets of England I shall give them a nod & a smile x

#RIPHolden

It is over as we know it.

Actually, that is precisely my point.
Now that GM are closing Holden dealerships, the "family tradition" will now end. I can't see too many "holden families" adopting the Camaro, or wanting to transfer their "Holden allegiences" to Camaro's.
Now that V8 Supercars are pretty much a tightly restricted design category with a couple of different body shapes sitting on top of the strict design chassis, and with Holden now unavailable through dealerships, the "religious" Holden support might dissolve slowly (maybe quickly if there is a backlash against GM now).
Also, the Mustang seems to be quite popular and selling rather well.

So, V8 Supercars will have to develop in a newer direction, but I still think the new concept category will remain popular among Aussie Racing fans with the focus on the Drivers and Teams, just without Holden shells.

I can see Supercars opening up the Gen3 Regulations to entice potentially more marquees onto the grid. There's already talk of the Two-Door option being expanded as it were to allow for more Sportscar style rides, what they need to do is bring in one that wants to stick around for a long time and properly become established unlike the recent ones; The Volvo was great (oh man the Sound of it at Bathurst is a wet dream!) but ultimately the Swedes quite pathetically pulled out, the Merc was OK (saw it win at Barbagallo!) and I actually quite liked the Nissan but they didn't like the direction Supercars were going so used excuses to back out.

Essentially Seamer & Co need to open it up more to attract more, unfortunately this may include a Hybrid/Electric style Option as it's quite clear the Big Manufacturers are all heading in that direction. The fact they dropped the V8 from the title a few seasons back and trialled a V6 suggests they are well aware that changes must happen, personally I'd hate an electric entry though!

Either way it'll be an interesting few years ahead and I for one will still be watching - religiously!

The Volvo was awesome, loved the blue livery too.

I really hope all motorsports don't jump on the electric bandwagon, people say it's the future....yes of MASS personal transport, for those who have no real interest in vehicles other than purely as a means to get from A-B (although I do realise there are some petrol (soon to be electric) heads embracing EVs).

For me Sport has to be loud, EVs are the equivalent of a silent crowd at a football match, no atmosphere. That's what Electric motorsports will be to me, no atmosphere, may as well race hoovers (something Gran Turismo did well for a few years).

I dread the future of motorsports, one day there won't even be people in the Evs....just some Ai travelling at 1000mph with no one watching trackside......:(

I really hope all motorsports don't jump on the electric bandwagon, people say it's the future....yes of MASS personal transport, for those who have no real interest in vehicles other than purely as a means to get from A-B (although I do realise there are some petrol (soon to be electric) heads embracing EVs).

For me Sport has to be loud, EVs are the equivalent of a silent crowd at a football match, no atmosphere. That's what Electric motorsports will be to me, no atmosphere, may as well race hoovers (something Gran Turismo did well for a few years).

I dread the future of motorsports, one day there won't even be people in the Evs....just some Ai travelling at 1000mph with no one watching trackside......:(

Problem is that most of the folks who slag off electric racing drive really rubbish cars anyway.
Proper racing series exsist because car makers use them for their own ends.
Why heavily invest in racing petrol cars when the public are forced to buy electric ones....get real here...stop pretending it has ever been about anything other than big business...
I get peoples anger but eventually you will either have to accept it or watch something else....sorry, its is a cold hard fact, once all new cars have to be EV why would petrol race cars be used in anything other than hobby club racing or historic...?

How many reputable car brands have GM sucked up and killed over the last few years?
Seems like a whole bunch.
I hated that the manufacturer of my beloved Saab was one of them.

A company with a list of patents as long as your arm and innovation like no other.
Most people would be surprised to know how many things on their cars were designed and patented by Saab.

Walkinshaw-Andretti announced their move to Camaro mid season last year, without committing to a specific time line.
Most interesting comment in the GMH CEO Muppet's announcement was almost overlooked.."GM are not producing any RHD vehicles from now on" (or words close to that) which seems to point toward just the 'American' market.
Quite a stupid move and one that seems at odds with any form of sound business plan.
Aside from the vehicle assembly (GMH haven't built anything for several years!) side of the operation, the effect on existing GM dealerships will be interesting, especially the 160+/- franchises that are presently upgrading or brand new builds.
Closing down the Thai 'Simply Useless Vehicle' operation is another side of this announcement that seems odd, given the mania for 'Crew Cab Trucks' and their SUV relatives.
'General Motors, making America Great'...................bollocks.
:poop:

Yes the Volvo was great, and it was where rookie McLaughlin showed what he was worth... good car and driver combination.

E for E is imo the problem, there is no real sexiness in that.

IMO the real key to making E racing popular is by going the opposite of what is happening now, instead go the TC/Cup car route.

Something like a Tesla Model S cup would carry the magic of being able to see cars race that you can essentially drive yourself.

I give F all about Formula E, but would enjoy watching electric touring cars racing aggressively, like Australian Supercars, DTM, Japanese Super GT or the many brand cups, like Ferrari or Porsche.

Racing is essentially about speed and excitement, sound and smell accompany that excitement, but they are not the critical ingredients. Is sound a challenge, yes. There is a difference between a loud V8 and a car that sounds like a supercharged wheelchair. So you either add excitement by going faster and more dangerous, or by involving the viewer - that’s the REAL car you can (or already do) drive yourself.

Tesla S, other big brand manufacturers racing electric TCs aggressively is IMO the most effective way to involve people.

Formula E, like Formula W is just too artificial.
Same goes for electric “boost” that remind you more of Mario Kart than racing.

Just imagine the impact of allowing both electric and non electric cars in F1 or any prestigious racing class on an equal footing and the E cars winning, that would change the game naturally. Same as women drivers competing and winning in the same races as men, not in some segregated sex class that pretends to be about opportunity and exposure, but ends up being a side show that emphasizes inequality.

all IMO.

...and yes I love the noise of race engines too.

Last edited:
Problem is that most of the folks who slag off electric racing drive really rubbish cars anyway.
Proper racing series exsist because car makers use them for their own ends.
Why heavily invest in racing petrol cars when the public are forced to buy electric ones....get real here...stop pretending it has ever been about anything other than big business...
I get peoples anger but eventually you will either have to accept it or watch something else....sorry, its is a cold hard fact, once all new cars have to be EV why would petrol race cars be used in anything other than hobby club racing or historic...?

At least my "rubbish" car can get me 500 miles down the road before a refill (Which takes minutes and I'm doing another 500 miles). Also it didn't cost 25 grand entry level. Yeah an EV will beat my car 0-60, but every EV I've ever seen is being driven slower than a tractor (so what's the point). I'd like to see how far an EV goes with wipers on, lights on, AC/heating on, music on, phones charging.

Why invest in petrol (or other ICE) cars? Because that's what most enthusiasts want. Let the masses have their EVs to save the planet, motorsport has always been about going as fast as possible, as loud as possible and selling cars that do that (of course there a few exceptions to that, exceptions do NOT prove rules). Motorsports is not about saving the planet.

And yes EVERY motorsport that goes EV I will stop watching it, i have 1000's of recorded DVD of "proper" motorsports and countless hours on YT.

I mean have you seen the amount of posts here when a dev get's a car sound wrong? The sound of a car is very important to a lot of people, it goes hand in hand with the power of a vehicle. Sound is so important, I remember seeing a Harrier for the first time (LOUD as Feck), a Tornado going verticle on full military power and it was a speck in the sky BUT the ground still shook with the sound. An EV race car could have 2000hp, but as long as it sounds like a wet squeeky fart it'll be crap.

EVs won't save the world anyway, the worst thing anyone can do for their carbon footprint is...have a child. Without population control EVs are humanity pissing into the wind.

(mini rant over ;) )

Yes the Volvo was great, and it was where rookie McLaughlin showed what he was worth... good car and driver combination.

E for E is imo the problem, there is no real sexiness in that.

IMO the real key to making E racing popular is by going the opposite of what is happening now, instead go the TC/Cup car route.

Something like a Tesla Model S cup would carry the magic of being able to see cars race that you can essentially drive yourself.

I give F all about Formula E, but would enjoy watching electric touring cars racing aggressively, like Australian Supercars, DTM, Japanese Super GT or the many brand cups, like Ferrari or Porsche.

Racing is essentially about speed and excitement, sound and smell accompany that excitement, but they are not the critical ingredients. Is sound a challenge, yes. There is a difference between a loud V8 and a car that sounds like a supercharged wheelchair. So you either add excitement by going faster and more dangerous, or by involving the viewer - that’s the REAL car you can (or already do) drive yourself.

Tesla S, other big brand manufacturers racing electric TCs aggressively is IMO the most effective way to involve people.

Formula E, like Formula W is just too artificial.
Same goes for electric “boost” that remind you more of Mario Kart than racing.

Just imagine the impact of allowing both electric and non electric cars in F1 or any prestigious racing class on an equal footing and the E cars winning, that would change the game naturally. Same as women drivers competing and winning in the same races as men, not in some segregated sex class that pretends to be about opportunity and exposure, but ends up being a side show that emphasizes inequality.

all IMO.

...and yes I love the noise of race engines too.

EVs will only beat ICEs over short distances, a good start in an EV requires zero skill, mash pedal... get off the line fast. Touring cars already have the "see your car race".....but seriously who drives an Altima and thinks they're an Aussie Supercar driver?

We are miles away from proper EV racing, it's being force fed down our throats in a knee jerk panic reaction to the worlds problems and at best it's like trying to put a plaster on a point blank 12 bore shotgun wound.

EVs don't "need" motorsports to sell, the defining sales pitch factor is "save the planet".

There hasn’t been an actual Holden car or Ford racing in V8 SuperCars for many years. V8 SuperCars are purpose built race cars using common chassis/engine setups. Gone are the days of racing a car you could buy the original from a dealership.

As are anything running these days in 99.9% of 'Series'.
Back in the day I owned both XU1 flavors: LC 186 and LJ 202, a brief period with a GTHO, and several years later an A9X Torana hatch. All road legal and all very affordable. The best of the lot was the LJ 202, a hoot to drive and easy to look after.
Of course the cars run for the current series are far from the road versions, but at least they have working lights and can turn right and left, unlike the NASCAR abominations.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back