Sunflares will hit the earth tomorrow

Are you comparing lighting now to solar winds? And cars to airplanes?
Wait. How exactly do you think solar flares would kill electronics? They would induce a current in conductors, no? If that's how it works, a lightning is hugely more powerful (at a given point). The difference is that it's also hugely more localized.
So, solar flares would influence power grids, power lines, any large conductors really. But they couldn't do anything close to what a lightning can do to a plane. And that's pretty much nothing. Faraday cage.

A car and an airplane are, as far as this discussion is concerned, pretty much the same thing: a closed conducting surface.

Of course, maybe I'm not understanding how solar flares operate. If I'm wrong there, then I'll put on my stupid hat, and slowly back away from the thread.

Huh? I wasn't even using hyperbole there, so no clue what you mean. As usual, eh?

The rest we finally kinda agree on. I have never disputed it's possible, I have just mocked the shitty article that took a simple sentence and made it look like we're all going to die within a couple of months.

Senad: Short answer is that lightning and the solar wind are quite a bit different. The sun is a giant fusion reaction basically, it produces massive amounts of EM radiation that would turn a plane's computers into paperweights if it were not being blocked by the magnetosphere. Lightning is a static discharge within the atmosphere. Will there actually be an event powerful enough this year to compress the magnetic field to the point where airplane electronics can get fried? Who the hell knows. The only thing they know for sure is that such events have happened in the past, there just weren't airplanes flying around at the time.

Hiro: Sunscreen won't help you if a plane crashes into your living room :p

Senad: Short answer is that lightning and the solar wind are quite a bit different. The sun is a giant fusion reaction basically, it produces massive amounts of EM radiation that would turn a plane's computers into paperweights if it were not being blocked by the magnetosphere. Lightning is a static discharge within the atmosphere.
I'm aware that they're different :)
I gave lightning an example of something that can fry electronics inside a plane, and it doesn't. Currents induced by EM radiation from a solar flare should be a helluva lot less powerful, and the fuselage will kill it inside as well, no?

If electronics would die it would cause chaos. But still, it won't kill food, like this f.e.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

And it was in 1816. Not even that long ago, and I didn't hear a word about this until now that I played some kind of online quiz. Had to google it up. Even the Chronicle of Hungary only says that money was devaluated by 40% in that year. The cause of it not. And of course they do not teach it in school.

It was caused by the 1815 eruption of Mt. Tambora in Indonesia.

Wait. How exactly do you think solar flares would kill electronics? They would induce a current in conductors, no? If that's how it works, a lightning is hugely more powerful (at a given point). The difference is that it's also hugely more localized.
So, solar flares would influence power grids, power lines, any large conductors really. But they couldn't do anything close to what a lightning can do to a plane. And that's pretty much nothing. Faraday cage.

Geometric storms, high energy nuclear particles in a solar storm can cause aircraft computers to crash.
http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/SSTA.pdf

I don´t know about you but i´d rather stay on the ground when solar flares hit the earth.

We will not get extincted when that happens either. Only a catastrophic volcanic eruption, a meteorite or anything else that will polute the entire atmosphere will end life as we know it.

Then we need to wait at least 100 to 250 million years again until we will be able to invent sim racing again :)

Lets hope we look like this by then so we can race multi-multiplayer with a lot of hands.
images

Nice! Three wheels going at one time! But hey wait a sec,only one set of pedals?:confused::p

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back