Sunflares will hit the earth tomorrow

First of all, anyone know the correct term for when the Sun spews out these massive "clouds" of particles?

The severity of it is a 2 or 3 out of a 5 on the scale. It will be the worst since 2005 they say but we should in no way hide under ground :) They say that airplanes and telecommunication are the two things that will be the most affected by it.

These clouds is in the billions of tonnes so they are incredibly massive.

Here you can see how fast it will arrive, the yellow dot is the earth :)

iSWACygnetStreamer

Some more sites of information,
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/drap/index.html

Here you can more or less follow the storm in real time.
http://www2.nict.go.jp/y/y223/simulation/realtime/index.html

And just to give an idea of how big these storms/clouds are,

sun5b15d.png

Should also be noted that 2012 will be an active year for the Sun in terms of these storms.
NASA say that there is a big chance one of these storms will lead to catastrophic events, mainly to infrastructure in big cities and not specifically damage to humans.

http://current.com/green/89702139_nasa-warns-catastrophic-sun-storm-possible-by-2012.htm

LOL.

NASA says that there is a big chance one of these storms will lead to catastrophic events. Not very much useful information there. It's the same as me saying that there is a big chance that one of these earthquakes will lead to catastrophic events.

So funny to see how people immediately start linking such events on the 2012 doomsday on the interweb :) Why are so many people obsessed with that Mayan calendar.

Lets get one fact straight: do we really believe the ancient maya's could have predicted this hundreds of years ago but they weren't smart enough to survive as a people :)

LOL.

NASA says that there is a big chance one of these storms will lead to catastrophic events. Not very much useful information there. It's the same as me saying that there is a big chance that one of these earthquakes will lead to catastrophic events.

Are you suggesting they should pick up the good old glass ball and look into that instead or should they just continue monitoring the Solar winds?
Me personally would choose the last option..

They can´t exactly see into the future but perhaps you can :)

And just to add some,
Problems Caused by the Solar Wind
In power systems especially, geomagnetic storms induce strong currents within transformers. These currents overpower the systems' filters and compensators and disrupt transformer function. First noted in 1940, these disruptions caused major power disturbances in 1957, 1958, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1974, 1979, 1982, 1983 and 1989. In 1989, geomagnetically induced currents---or GICs---destroyed a transformer associated with a nuclear power plant. The currents also increase harmonics in sensitive digital relays, creating false trips in equipment which in turn shut down electrical systems. Other problems caused by solar disturbances include unusual transformer noise and heating, power swings, frequency excursions, harmonic currents, voltage fluctuations, failure of protective relays and neutral ground currents tripping capacitor banks.
So the "disaster" is that if big enough solar winds hit the earth they could take out a whole city, electronically.
The solar winds coming tomorrow is not of that scale but it should not be laughed about at all considering what could happen if the sun decides to blast off winds that are way bigger then the one arriving tomorrow.

Without electricity in a big city means we are back to cavemen style. Forget your fridge, freezer etc you´ll have to buy jars of food packed in vacuum if you want to survive in the long run or hunt for animals, because there are so many wild animals in the city...not.

Obviously i´m painting up the worst case scenario here but it should not be shrugged off in any way because the possibility of it happening is there.

It would be as silly to shrug of earthquakes or tsunamis or any other form of disaster. There´s no god that will save us from being extinct.
Especially when you consider that 99% of all the things that lived on this earth is now extinct. 99%..

Have you ever heard a government give out a list of how big the damage will be or how many people will die when a tsunami is detected? Nope, all they give out is a note that says GTFO there.

Are you suggesting they should pick up the good old glass ball and look into that instead or should they just continue monitoring the Solar winds?
Me personally would choose the last option..

They can´t exactly see into the future but perhaps you can :)
Don't see the connection between my sentence and them monitoring solar winds. The sentence I quoted was indeed useless and had nothing to do with any sort of measurement, and that site built a whole sensationalist story with a bombastic headline from nothing.

As you nicely quoted above, the same thing has been happening for a while now. Saying that one of those occurrences has a big chance of being catastrophic says nothing.

Here's a headline for them for the next couple of hundred years.
do i=1, 1000
year=2012+11*i
print (*,*) 'NASA warns catastrophic sun storm possible by ', year
end do

Don't see the connection between my sentence and them monitoring solar winds. The sentence I quoted was indeed useless, and that site built a whole sensationalist story with a bombastic headline from nothing.

In your post that i quoted, you did not quote anything. You merely spoke jibberish because a news site reported on what NASA has said might happen in 2012.

Like you expected them to list every person and house that would be affected and write down in detail what exactly would happen, thus the crystal ball note.

It would be as silly to shrug of earthquakes or tsunamis or any other form of disaster. There´s no god that will save us from being extinct.
Especially when you consider that 99% of all the things that lived on this earth is now extinct. 99%..

Almost everything on this earth was whiped away millions of years ago during the geological era of Perm. Have a look on internet and find the Siberian Traps.

This one million years of continuously vulcanic eruptions poluted the atmosphere so much that almost everything died (even sealife) and evolution had to start all over again (love it!)

In your post that i quoted, you did not quote anything. You merely spoke jibberish because a news site reported on what NASA has said might happen in 2012.
I haven't used the quote tags, but I copied and pasted this sentence from the article:
NASA says that there is a big chance one of these storms will lead to catastrophic events.

I'd still call that quoting, but I do apologize for the sloppiness.

Like you expected them to list every person and house that would be affected and write down in detail what exactly would happen, thus the crystal ball note.
What the hell are you on about? I'm not blaming NASA for anything. The article took a meaningless sentence, and built a stupid story around it.

Add '2012'. Done.
Add 'catastrophe'. Done.
Enjoy the clicks.

Almost everything on this earth was whiped away millions of years ago during the geological era of Perm. Have a look on internet and find the Siberian Traps.

This one million years of continuously vulcanic eruptions poluted the atmosphere so much that almost everything died (even sealife) and evolution had to start all over again (love it!)

Took life on earth 30 million years to recover :) That is insane.

Should also not forget another rather big event, perhaps not as big as the one above but it sort of paved the way for us ;)

Paleogene Extinction event. (Dinosaurs)

What the hell are you on about? I'm not blaming NASA for anything. The article took a meaningless sentence, and built a stupid story around it.

Add '2012'. Done.
Add 'catastrophe'. Done.
Enjoy the clicks.

Nobody has said anything about you blaming NASA... I´m saying you ridicule a news report from NASA simply because it contains the words 2012 and catastrophe.

Just because your brain instantly switches to the Mayan calendar doesn´t mean NASA´s brains does.
They simply said that there could be solar flairs in 2012 that can cause a catastrophe.

I don´t understand where the fun is in that news report as it´s not a "End of the world 2012" report but a simple report from NASA letting us know that there´s a chance of certain events happening with the sun and the earth.

Nobody has said anything about you blaming NASA... I´m saying you ridicule a news report from NASA simply because it contains the words 2012 and catastrophe.
But... It doesn't... NASA has said nothing of the sorts, it's the article. LOL.

Just because your brain instantly switches to the Mayan calendar doesn´t mean NASA´s brains does.
They simply said that there could be solar flairs in 2012 that can cause a catastrophe.
But... They didn't... It was just a risk assessment study, for a potential severe solar storm... The article added the 2012 catastrophe bullshit, and that's where my problem lies.

Original is here: http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12507

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back