Sunday Spotlight: Mclaren P1's Sub-7 at the 'Ring

Howard Choularton submitted a new blog post:

Sunday Spotlight: Mclaren P1's Sub-7 at the 'Ring

[youtube]

[blockquote style="2"]What is it that brings us back here? What drives us to go faster, push harder and brake later? Just to lap the Nordschleife in under 7 minutes...[/blockquote]

Sunday Spotlight is our latest regular segment, highlighting a video, image, story or something else from the week prior. A hybrid of Video/Article/Photo/Thingy of the Week, you could say!

This weeks video, by McLaren Automotive, is a cinematic take on McLaren's latest...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited:
I think the main reason behind not publishing the result was not that P1 didn't beat the 918 but that McLaren don't know LaFerrari's time...
I believe it's down to McLaren vs. Ferrari. 918 has got less power and is heavier than both of them...

1:18 to 1:23 in the video is pretty epic... as is 1:28 to 1:32. Not sure about not releasing the time though. I can see both pro and con. As incredible as a sub 7min run is, the competition has done it (Porsche) and the Nismo GTR track version has done a 7:08 in a car that is only 20% (or less) of the price of the McLaren P1.

I did a sub-5 minute lap of the Nürburgring walking, true story. Just give me a few minutes to throw together a montage of the photage of me strolling along the track and I'll prove it!

I think the main reason behind not publishing the result was not that P1 didn't beat the 918 but that McLaren don't know LaFerrari's time...
I believe it's down to McLaren vs. Ferrari. 918 has got less power and is heavier than both of them...

There are rumors that they can't do under 7m in one go, because they run out of eletric charge before the end of the lap, the 918 gets it's charge from braking (like 2013 spec F1 car), while the P1 utilizes just engine braking.

This same rumour says they were running the track by sectors, do the first 3rd of the lap, than the second...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 444 39.6%