Resource icon

Tracks Summit Road, Christchurch, New Zealand 0.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
barf submitted a new resource:

Summit Road, Christchurch, New Zealand - Tarmac Rally Sprint / Touge

This is the first track I made, created using blender and a 1-metre LiDAR DEM. It's still a little rough in places (WIP!) and has no track map, replay cameras or AI line. But it's drive-able, and Online and Practice modes work, so please enjoy and drive safely!

Screenshots
View attachment 430416View attachment 430417View attachment 430418

Media

Read more about this resource...

Road tracks are always fun, but it´s a big challenge, I know this is an early beta so just take this as suggestions to improve it later.
First, there´s no reason for this track to be 500mb big; you should probably try using other lighter textures for the terrain.
Performance is really bad atm, separating the main road and the buildings to their own kn5 each, just like you did with the trees and signs, could help here. Then separating the physical mesh fom the visual one would improve things some more.
But more importantly, decimate the terrain as much as possible. You shouldn´t have millions of triangles in the background.
terr.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks but I want millions of triangles in the background. Machines unable render 30 million tris won't be running modern Unreal Engine games at 60 FPS either... (PS. it has already been HEAVILY decimated. And the background is a MAJOR part of this track.)

Last edited:
But for backgrounds, pixel density is a thing. At the moment, you have 100 polygons per pixel rendered for the background. It's safe to assume this can be heavily decimated even further (using a weight map to help maintain details nearby etc).

Also, with the Object Inspector, I noticed your land mesh is split up into random selections of polies. It might be best to make connected selections and split the mesh that way.

I only quickly tried it ingame so can't really comment on anything, apart from that the views are amazing :)

I understand the emphasis on the background, but I really doubt that poly density will actually help you achieve the scenic result you´re looking for.
The hardware argument doesn´t make much sense either since you´re not running on a limitation of the hardware here, but of AC´s engine itself.
Anyways, I do look forward to the work you do on this track, regardless of how you go about it :)

Last edited:
I really doubt that poly density will actually help you achieve the scenic result you´re looking for.
Thanks but you seem to misunderstand AC's engine limits, which are more physical than visual - over about 20km from the origin some formula converges or 32b precision issues appear.. painting triangles is the GPU's job. And it did get the result I was after :)

Visual or physical limitations aside, 30 million tris is just way too many for the average user, including myself.

Maybe a warning that it requires a higher end machine on your download page if that’s the way it’s going stay, or you’ll get plenty of low FPS complaints :)

While it's true AC renders 50 million triangles without much effort on most machines; still it's not very optimised the way it's set up now. Because regardless of viewing point, it always renders 30 million or more. While if you'd split up the mesh in chunks rather than stray triangles, the engine can easily cull 20 million at any given time.
DIP is at 2000 already and that is without much detail so far. I run a steady 60 fps for now, but I doubt that'll stay that way.

Either way, I'd love to see how it turns out in the end :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 436 39.5%