Summertime Talks

Dog-Days-of-Summer.jpg

How is your summer going?

One of the best things about this season is that you can get some relax and some stress off from your daily routine. Hopefully, because you might be able to get a vacation and travel somewhere. If you are short on money though, getting some days off could be the chance to finally catch some breath by doing something different or to spend more time with your friends or your family. All of this, provided of course you do not have a job where summer means no free time, because it is the season during which most of the work is done at your workplace.

In any case, summer generally means hot weather, longer days, slower pace times in your daily life and somewhat diverse routines. Usually, it also means more time for gaming or for opportunities for outdoor activities.

I, for example, took the occasion to delve into a game I have always wanted to play but never really had the chance to: “The Witcher 3 – The Wild Hunt”. During this season of the year I feel the need to do something else from my usual, to recharge my mind a bit and, by doing so, having the crave to go back to my schedule when all is over. Trying a different game genre was something fresh I did along also some other things to achieve that goal. So far, I have been very impressed with TW3 and I am having a very good time, even though I am already starting to feel like I need more sim time in my life! (Which means that this is working, as it should)

In addition, spending more time with my friends is another way with which I am keeping myself busy and taking my mind off from the unbearable heat of the infamous ‘dog days’!

What are you doing in your summer instead? Are you visiting some hot tropical paradise or some mountain, cold, place? Are you staying at home, but have free time to spare doing something different from the usual? Are you taking the opportunity to play new titles, or shut your pc/console and try some fun experiences stepping out of your routine?

Do you live in the Southern Hemisphere, which means winter is upon you? No vacation, no free time now? Well tell us what you are planning for when you will get some!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Beautiful weather here on the Oregon coast while the interior cities (Portland) are roasting. Portland, in particular, is all set to make a record of days hotter than 90F for the third time this decade!

I checked my bank balance and came to the conclusion I could return to autocrossing after a 12-year absence. Picked up this 2018 Ford Focus ST a few weeks ago for SCCA's G Street class and named her "Pepper".

upload_2018-8-10_12-25-11.png

Last edited by a moderator:
working .. but mostly working with either girls or cars so Im not complaining .. work led me to Nordschleife for a first time ... that was closed just for our team, that was nice (not every day you drive Nords in reverse while Sabine Smitz drives in oposite direction :D )

Oh man, it sounds like you have such a different job to mine! lol

Pray tell, what do you do for a living (if you don't mind me asking) ?

Beautiful weather here on the Oregon coast while the interior cities (Portland) are roasting. Portland, in particular, is all set to make a record of days hotter than 90F for the third time this decade!

I'm still surprised how hot it is in Portland. 37 degrees on the Sunday for the World Challenge weekend was ridiculous. I was so happy to get back home to Victoria the next day with our perfect climate.

As for me? Been to Portland twice, Toronto once and I will be again in two weeks (ugh...), and I just had my best friend out here for a visit filled with hiking in the best part of the country. Actually made it to Mosport in June, Portland in July and I'll be at Watkins in September.

Pretty decent summer, really.

Summer here in North Carolina has been a mix of heat, humidity and rain.
Spent two weeks in Ft.Lauderdale early on (hot), but now it's back to flying the HondaJet simulator just about everyday.
Good thing too because the sim bay is temperature controlled.

Unable to race on my usual hang out. Kid at home and needs some time... Oh it's not a bad thing, it may sounds as if it is. My PC crashes, overheating in this weather so the my son is a blessing being at home during these months. We play real racing 3 on my Android tab and his iPad. He cries though when he can't win and I'm always 1st place. :laugh: I wish work goes to summer vacation as well. Leaving my son at home when I go to work turns the table and me doing the crying. :cry:

Mine has been pretty good. Did a solo road trip from Vancouver to Alberta back in June. Just me, my FR-S, good music, beautiful scenery and 3,300kms driven. Took some nice pictures like this along the wayView attachment 264057

Love that area. Do you know of any fun roads away from the Trans-Canada through the mountains?

I was going to head out that way in June or July but plans changed, so I'll probably do it in the spring with my BRZ. It was fun in the GTI when I moved out here back in September, but it'll be more fun with the new toy :)

Love that area. Do you know of any fun roads away from the Trans-Canada through the mountains?

I was going to head out that way in June or July but plans changed, so I'll probably do it in the spring with my BRZ. It was fun in the GTI when I moved out here back in September, but it'll be more fun with the new toy :)

Sure do. On the way to Kamloops instead of going through Coquihalla (Hwy 5) right around Hope take Hwy 1. Takes like 2 hours longer but much better scenery and nice twisty roads.

One hell of a hot sweaty summer that confirms that having leather instead of Alcantara seat while racing was a big mistake.
Can’t wait for the -20’s again...

Sure do. On the way to Kamloops instead of going through Coquihalla (Hwy 5) right around Hope take Hwy 1. Takes like 2 hours longer but much better scenery and nice twisty roads.

Heading East or West from Kamloops?

I've driven through the area twice, but I have family in Vernon so both times I've actually gone through Kelowna on the 97 instead; haven't actually gone through Kamloops myself I don't think.

Heading East or West from Kamloops?

I've driven through the area twice, but I have family in Vernon so both times I've actually gone through Kelowna on the 97 instead; haven't actually gone through Kamloops myself I don't think.

West of Kamloops.
Yeah, I've driven the 97 to Kelowna as well but no, way before that. The fastest route from Van to Kamloops and Kelowna will take you through Hwy 5, but instead, around Hope take Hwy 1. It will take you north through Lytton. You'll be able to identify it easily in google maps.

Heat and rain have kept me inside more than I like for a summertime. Bummed a bit at having no travel plans until later this year so just waiting on that. Training of a 5k run on labor day is not going as planned, really struggling to get to my goal. My wife is performing better than I am though and that's OK with me!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 207 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%