• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Suggestions & Requests

Discussion in 'RaceDepartment Podcast' started by Paul Glover, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Paul Glover

Paul Glover
    RaceDepartment Social Media Manager & Podcast Host Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,178
    As we only recently started our podcast we have a list of topics we would like to talk about, but would love to hear from you.

So you know, the standard template for each episode will be something along the lines of:

1. Talk about the latest news in Sim racing & motorsport
    2. Pick one main topic to discuss

We are planning on releasing 'special' podcasts too, we have some ideas but again any suggestions are most welcome.

What topics or features do you think would work? Fire them below, if used we will give you the heads up.

Cheers
    Paul

2. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young
    Premium

Ratings:
    +69
    How about digging into hardware? For example VR, triples or - 49” Ultrawides! Or is direct drive really worth it over a T300 or a Fanatec CSL? Or if you drive with a game pad, can you really call yourself a sim racer? Or do you spend more time racing or fiddling with your rig (not a euphemism!)? Or - so you got a wheel and a shifter. What’s your next rig related purchase? (Buttkicker, motion platform, wind simulator etc).

Could be fun?

• Like Like x 2
  3. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +739
    Having listened to the first one here are my thoughts:

1) Try and stick to 60minutes, since I got into Podcasts last year I find anything longer and it just becomes "rambling" at times with no real direction. With a stricter time frame (like you were trying to achieve by the sounds of it!) the points are made, discussed and then moved on to the next subject swiftly. Try and not to spend too long on one subject as then the ears start to wander elsewhere.

2) I think you've mentioned Special Guests from Dev Studios which will be very cool, why not Special Guests from the Community as well? Hear their thoughts on their favourite Sim/s and Real Life Motorsport interests.

3) As mentioned above a Hardware Section would be good as there's plenty of subjects in that alone.

4) A Nostalgia Section, maybe not every Podcast but every now and then really dive into a classic Sim from the bygone era.

5) Don't be afraid to be controversial, I liked the first episode in that RF2s Flaws were aired in a good constructive manner. Continue in that vein whilst at the same time continuing to praise aspects of the Sim as well of course to level it out. If you only do the latter then it's not a really fair showing, so find the weak spots and don't be afraid to talk about them.

6) Current Sim Reviews, now most of us here know about the Sims we race, newcomers may like to actually hear what they're like as a whole if they don't own them, so this sort of goes with Point #5. Again like a Nostalgia section perhaps not every Podcast (as you'll soon run out!) but every once in a while a deep and meaningful review/chat about a Sim in current use.

:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Paul Glover

Paul Glover

Ratings:
    +1,178
    Yep, definitely something that we plan to do. Also, highlight some of the great rigs we see posted on RD.

5. Paul Glover

Paul Glover

Ratings:
    +1,178
    That was harder than we expected, we ran 20 minutes above the original limit which I do not think is excessive. I listen to podcasts which are 30 minutes to two hours long, everyone has different needs. I find podcasts are great for my 1hr and 30 minute commute to work, then repeat for the return leg.

Yep. The plan is for those in the community, we want these to be engaging. And even when it's a dev, we want to get the know the person first before we start talking about what they are working on.

Already on our list of things to discuss, always new stuff coming out. Reviews will be reserved for our YouTube channel.

Again, on the list. Like you say the run on that is limited.

It's a podcast and we have to share our opinions, whether it be positive or negative. Otherwise people won't trust us.
    Again, I think these are best suited for Twitch and Youtube, we can give opinons if we have played the games but in depth reviews for me work best on a video platform.

Appreciate your feedback.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ScootishRacer

ScootishRacer

Ratings:
    +1
    /

• Like Like x 1
  7. GrimGreener

GrimGreener

Ratings:
    +5
    Mods... given you have loads of them available - start with some of the great ones, and then some little known gems. You review mods by car class across different sims. So for example formula, WEC or GT cars that are bests for each sim, Or you could theme them and do a "what tracks are best in RF2 for beginners / intermediate / advanced drivers". I'm still trying to find a nice track for friends / family to play that doesn't throw surprise hidden corners at them, ie they brake before the corner ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.