Sudden loss of power, gear 1

adamb

Premium
I'm having lots of fun driving S397 GT cars, it's the best offline experience with a car which is easy to drive and has great FFB.

However, a several times during races, the car suddenly loses power. Driving at Donington, it happened with 2 different cars (Callaway, Aston Martin) and in the chicane (after the straight) or in the last corner - both low speed corners. I shift down to gear 1 and try to accelerate but the power goes away. I switch to N, tried to play with clutch but I can't do anything to restart the engine.

It's not the pedal because immediately afterwards, the throttle axis works as usual in the config menu. It's not fuel either. Probably not overheat because it once happened in lap 1 (twice around lap 8-10).

Any ideas? Am I killing the transmission with early downshifts?

Could be mechanical failure. From memory the engine tone just sort of dies down. Cant remember if it shows engine damage in the hud or the results table on rf2. Do you wait for the engine to die. If it wasn't the engine it would idle in N.

it almost sounds like you may have accidentally triggered the ignition(power on/off) and shut the car off. When this loss of power happens, do the MFD displays still work? i.e. can you check for damage or tire wear or best lap times? Make sure you have two keys assigned for starting the car, 1st the ignition and 2nd, the starter button itself. Never assign the ignition to any of the wheel buttons, this will prevent a stray button press or possible short in the wheel itself from killing all your internal electrics. The starter could be on the wheel, but I generally have both just on my keyboard.

Last edited:
Thank you guys.

The tire/engine page of the multi functional display shows a blue engine icon when it happens (it should be normal grey). I assume that's the indication of engine failure. All electrical systems remain powered.

Likely a poor downshifting technique?

Thank you guys.

The tire/engine page of the multi functional display shows a blue engine icon when it happens (it should be normal grey). I assume that's the indication of engine failure. All electrical systems remain powered.

Likely a poor downshifting technique?
Here is a video of the New BMW GT3 car at Sebring. At approximately 1minute 15 seconds into the video, it shows the car slowing and downshifting for Turn 10(Cunningham Corner). The 3 downshifts are measured and distinct, not poppoppop.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 418 39.8%