Sub €300 Sim Rig; been tearing my hair out.

Hey people! So for about a week now I have been looking all over for a sim seat setup, a rig I guess.

GT Omega Evo, Fanatec CSL and even the Playseat Challenge (The lawnchair of racing seats) are just a few examples that seem reasonable. Sadly, they all have their problems it seems. It’s either a bad seat, poor rigidity or lack of movement when it comes to pedal positioning and wheel position. The Fanatec seat seems to be the best despite seeming quite flimsy compared to the other two. I have watched tons of reviews on Youtube and I always end up where I started; Clueless as to what to do.

Can any owners help me? Any company I have missed? I have looked through this entire list too: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...gs-cockpits-pedals-wheels-master-list.239878/

// Holi

can you sum up its flaws please?
According to Inside Sim Racing, it flexes when you brake hard, you can't adjust the steering wheel position very much and the steering wheel doesn't sit mounted as hard as you'd wish.

You can see these things in the video too, it's not just opinion. I have to say, if there's a way to fix the flex in the GT Omega Evo it would probably jump to first place for me.

Upvote 0
I have the Playseat Challenge with a t500rs, nothing wrong with it if your not to tall.
It's very comfortable and I can race for hours or fall a sleep in it.

Upvote 0
According to Inside Sim Racing, it flexes when you brake hard, you can't adjust the steering wheel position very much and the steering wheel doesn't sit mounted as hard as you'd wish.

You can see these things in the video too, it's not just opinion. I have to say, if there's a way to fix the flex in the GT Omega Evo it would probably jump to first place for me.

Are you talking with or without the support brackets? They are available since the update
(but I can't seem to find them atm)

Upvote 0
i just bought the evo for my t500 and ive gotta say im VERY impressed with it, rock solid, seeing no flexing like they had on that inside sim racing review, the only place i get a VERY small amount of wiggle is on the wheel plate mount, the way its constructed with a bar inside another to allow extension means theres a miniscule gap at the edges, i "fixed" this by sliding in a thin metal shim. other than that very minor flaw its an amazing rig.

Upvote 0
only had it about a week, its a heavy lump but the weight is reflected in its solidness, i bought some carpet sliders for it yesterday and im not sure if the sliders were of poor quality or the weight of the cockpit was too much but they didn't wanna slide very much. I'll take a few pics of it to show how i dealt with cable management and the place i was getting the wiggle from.

Upvote 0
1.jpg

I used the free gear shifter bracket to make a mouse and keyboard table
2.jpg

no cable management with the cockpit but doesnt look too rough just cable tied down the tubing
3.jpg

this is the spot i was getting the slight, and i mean VERY slight left and right movement, i just slid a thin shim of metal down one side and it sorted the job.
4.jpg

utilized an old unused shelf out of an aquarium stand and screwed it onto the gear bracket, like the rest of the rig this is rock solid.

Upvote 0
I have the GT Omega as well, and have no problems really, the seat for me is uncomfortable as hell tho, very flimsy and cheap, and I will replace with a decent seat sometime, flex ?? meh, I don't feel it, i'm sure if I wanted to I could exaggerate it tho, tbh I think I might have a revised version because I see to have a slightly different lower frame to the one reviewed by SRT.

The wheel plate is quite restrictive with a T500 mounted, allows a little adjustment back and forth, but no biggy you can adjust the rest of the frame around the position you want, either by lengthening the pedal or moving the seat etc, the biggest crit I have is actually the tilt adjustment on the wheel plate, there is none, but there is a little twist in the frame if you pull up and down on the wheel because of the design of the connecting bar between the side spars, again, not a big problem, and certainly never makes itself known unless you go crazy pulling up and down on the wheel, which is just silly.

For the money a bargain IMHO.

Upvote 0
I have had a gtomega evo since around april of last year, i use it with the t500 also and have the bodin load cell adapter too. I am convinced they put the connecting bolts in the wrong way around in the video. There is no flex in my rig at all!! As said above there is a small, easily solved issue with the wheel mount moving a little. For £280 i could not be happier.

Watch the video around 8.00, those silvers nuts and washers should be on the inside of the rig. Does the hold the answer to the flex issue?? Who knows. But it looks awful too.lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First of all, thank you all for all the input! Especially you Marc Beswick for the pictures and explanation!

...the seat for me is uncomfortable as hell tho, very flimsy and cheap, and I will replace with a decent seat sometime...
I don't mean to be rude, but how big of a lad are you Mark? I'm 180lbs/82kg. I'd rather not buy this and be uncomfortable after all.

Reactions: Bez
Upvote 0
I have the GT Omega as well, and have no problems really..............................................the biggest crit I have is actually the tilt adjustment on the wheel plate, there is none, but there is a little twist in the frame if you pull up and down on the wheel because of the design of the connecting bar between the side spars, again, not a big problem, and certainly never makes itself known unless you go crazy pulling up and down on the wheel, which is just silly.

i think they must of changed the design to address your issue with both the adjustment and the movement up and down as mine had a male and female octagonal lug on one end of the wheel plate bar which allows some (limited) adjustment of the wheel angle but also keeps the bar locked in position allowing no movement up or down once its tightened. If i can find the allen key ill loosen it off and take a pic

Upvote 0
First of all, thank you all for all the input! Especially you Marc Beswick for the pictures and explanation!

I only hope i made your choice easier as it was only a couple of weeks ago i was in the exact same position you are, literally pulling my hair out (that review showing the flex in the frame almost put me off the evo)...I really feel i made the right decision going for the evo, not even a hint of buyers remorse.

Upvote 0
5.jpg

after loosening it looks like it only has 6 sides so not much use for angling the wheel as the angle will get very severe but does a good job stopping any up/down movement

Upvote 0

I don't mean to be rude, but how big of a lad are you Mark? I'm 180lbs/82kg. I'd rather not buy this and be uncomfortable after all.

12 stone on the nail, hardly a heavy weight, I do have a somewhat sensitive back, and I do to be fair sit in the seat a heck of a lot more hours that your "normal" racer.........I am in the seat 12hrs per day every day pretty much, apart from the weekend where I might spend a few hours in the evening.

Upvote 0
View attachment 48067
after loosening it looks like it only has 6 sides so not much use for angling the wheel as the angle will get very severe but does a good job stopping any up/down movement

Mine snapped out the end on that pic Mark, thankfully GT Omega had already sent me a replacement wheel plate with a bar so I could swap it out, there is in reality virtually nothing you can do with that adjustment you highlight tho, not anything you can rely on to be sturdy I mean.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing