Stroll to Force India in Management Reshuffle?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Lance Stroll Force India Rumours.jpg

Rumour has it that Lance Stroll might be about to jump ship to Force India for 2019, accompanied by fresh investment in the British team from billionaire father Lawrence...

With Force India currently in the uncomfortable position of having entered administration last weekend, a move instigated by legal action brought upon the team by driver Sergio Perez, the Silverstone based outfit have begun the search for fresh investment in order to see out the remainder of the 2018 and continue development of next seasons car.

With several investors potentially waiting in the wings to take over from Vijay Mallya, one man's name has come up more than most in recent weeks, that of multi billionaire fashion investor Lawrence Stroll. Fresh rumours are thought to have been circulating the Hungarian Grand Prix paddock that Stroll is interested in pumping cash into the struggling team, potentially as either an investor or part of a complex "convertible loan" arrangement - essentially a cash loan to the team which generates interest but can be converted into equity in the team at a later date.

Stroll has already handed over considerable sums of money to Williams in order to secure son Lance a drive with the former World Champions, however a difficult 2018 season and seemingly with little light at the end of the tunnel, the Stroll family appear keen to look elsewhere for a more competitive offering for the coming season - something a team like Force India are likely to be able to provide if recent history is anything to go by. With the unfortunate situation Force India find themselves in, a move to put up some money now could lead to a potentially sound business decision and return on investment in future, as well as a better drive for his son, rather than the more traditional and currently fruitless pay driver deal in place at Grove.

Adding fuel to the fire is the pretty strong indications that Esteban Ocon looks set to leave for a Renault seat in 2019, leaving a very attractive space open for Stroll to jump in next year, meaning the first serious cards could be about to fall in the 2019 driver market.

Should Stroll and his financial investment move away from Williams, it remains to be see how the significant loss of revenue, coupled with a withdrawal of Martini sponsorship, will affect Williams preparations as they look to rebuild back to the front of the Formula One grid.

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you think a shift to Force India would be a good move for team and driver? Is Stroll right to leave Williams in their current struggles? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Both Lance and his daddy Lawrence should go home and play F1 on the PlayStation. I would rather see Force India vanishing rather than becoming a team tailor made for such a mediocre paydriver and whoever they decide to put alongside him - surely another paydriver.

Paydrivers can keep a team running in the short term but they don't guarantee any future.

I think I read Rich Energy Drink eagerly chasing Force India so to compete with Redbull energy drink market share. Should be very good investment to buy Force India, and they should include Williams too as a Junior team, if they really want to get under Redbull's skin. Not that I drink Red Bull, or Rich Energy. I don't see both products in 711s here in Taiwan. So I have no emotions or support for either.

Stroll needs to go to Mclaren and have a Senior driver beside him. Any of the three teams I mentioned will need his money, he rather pay Alonso and learn than invest in another struggling team.

Last edited:
Of course a liaison between Stroll and Force India could be possible but I doubt it. Of course the team is in financial trouble right now but there are plenty of other options for the team with most of them being more promising. If Ocon really switches to Renault for next season my bet would be on Russell. A stronger financial investment by Mercedes in combination with fresh money from BWT and Hype Energy should result in the same effect as engaging with the devil.

Also you should not forget that a huge reason for Force India's situation is that Vijay Mallya has pumped money out of the team in the past. If he finally gets handed over to India this should result in more stability instantly.

Speaking as a Canadian, The Stroll family are embarrassing.
Canada Doesn't have Long list of Greats, but those on the list, deserve to be there.
The sooner they're gone from Formula 1, the better!

If Stroll money is going to keep the outfits doors open & keep the 400 staff employed I don't care how much people dislike them, at least their attempting to help solve the problem, sure it's all about keeping Lance in F1 in the long run, so why not do it in a team that you have control of, or are a major stake holder in, makes perfect sense to me, at least he (Lance) won't get sacked anytime soon for being a mediocre driver.

Mediocre teams swapping mediocre drivers in an effort to stave off financial imsolvenin - welcome to the glamorous world of F1! :D

Imagine if stick and ball sports worked this way - you tune into an NBA game and see LeBron James guarded by some pasty, fabby guy with an oversized jersey and socks hiked up to his knees. It's Jeremy Tostito, ladies and gentlemen! He's Sacramento Kings new starting forward...and, coincidentally, heir to the Tostitos chip fortune! (Also coincidentally, the Kings' stadium is now named Tostito's Arena). And then we get treated to the announcers trying desperately to convince us we are watching the best basketball players in the world - "don't assume he can't ball, though - he was voted most improved on his sophomore JV team in high school!" (Followed by a loud crunching noise as the announcer shoves a fistful of Tostitos corn chips in his mouth)

I really really really hope someone like porsche, audi, vw, ford or some red bull type of entity comes in and buys force india. But it needs to be someone who wants to own a succesful team. Not some father buying his son an f1 team for birthday present. How much money is red bull pouring into f1? Hundreds of millions. Nobody is going to pay that kind of sums for his son's hobby.

As far as I know the stroll's have paid something like 40 million to get lance into the team (including all the development work the strolls bought from williams when stroll was in f3). The sums they are paying yearly are probably less than but more than 20 mil. That's barely enough to offset stroll's lack of skill (and prize money) compared to someone like massa.

It would be sad to see force india go the way of the marussia/caterham/hrt or even the sauber of last 5 years. Filled with pay drivers, all the time at the back of the field. Just a career killer team. If stroll buys a stake in the team the team will pretty much die as soon as stroll decides he wants a different hobby.

If you build a team on paydriver money and the paydriver brings in lots of money that situation won't last long. I think majority of pay drivers bring something like 2-5 mil per season. A driver like lance brings 10x that and it is incredibly rare to find drivers with that deep pockets. You are not going to find new lance stroll when your lance stroll quits or buys a seat in different team. Suddenly you need 30 million more per year just to get to net 0. The best thing you can get is a paydriver who is even slower than stroll who brings in those 2 millions per season. If you are lucky you may get 5 or 10 million.

Mediocre teams swapping mediocre drivers in an effort to stave off financial imsolvenin - welcome to the glamorous world of F1! :D

Imagine if stick and ball sports worked this way - you tune into an NBA game and see LeBron James guarded by some pasty, fabby guy with an oversized jersey and socks hiked up to his knees. It's Jeremy Tostito, ladies and gentlemen! He's Sacramento Kings new starting forward...and, coincidentally, heir to the Tostitos chip fortune! (Also coincidentally, the Kings' stadium is now named Tostito's Arena). And then we get treated to the announcers trying desperately to convince us we are watching the best basketball players in the world - "don't assume he can't ball, though - he was voted most improved on his sophomore JV team in high school!" (Followed by a loud crunching noise as the announcer shoves a fistful of Tostitos corn chips in his mouth)

Can't wait for the days when we get pay designers. Newey gets replaced by Jeremy Tostito. Coincidentally the new car looks like a taco!

Take the Helmet daddy on go with your son making pizza,s in New York ....and go for your "'drivers"" license! What is Formula one Boring at these time. Where are @ the Total 24 Hours of Spa....thats real motorsport..... Chasy and co must take look there.....losers :cry:

It would be sad if Force India would leave F1, since they performed great with just a limited budget. If daddy Stroll’s money may be the only way to save the team, so be it. I would rather have Force India + Stroll on the grid, than no Force India at all.

Lance Stroll is definitely not among the best, but he is hardly a bad driver. He has been doing good in F3 and it is only his second season in a bad car.

Anyway saving Force India would be great, whoever does it. The Force India guys have talent.

Brilliant! That just shows how far modern F1 is from being called a real sport. :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%