Stroll to Force India Confirmed for 2019

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Lance Stoll Signs for Force India.jpg

The long expected announcement of Lance Stroll moving to Force India next season has been confirmed today, the Canadian moving to replace the outgoing Esteban Ocon…

Stroll, 20, has agreed terms to move to the Racing Point Force India Formula One team next season, joining forces with the competitive midfield outfit now owned by his billionaire father Lawrence, stepping away from a struggling Williams and teaming up with Sergio Perez at the Silverstone based outfit.

Confirming the deal over the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend, Stroll will begin work immediately with his new team during the upcoming end of season Pirelli tyre test, taking the reigns of the Mercedes powered machine during the afternoon of day one, before stepping into the car for a full day of running on the second and final day of Formula One action during 2018.

With Stroll now confirmed at Force India, outgoing star Esteban Ocon has moved over to the Mercedes team as official reserve and third driver, a move further cementing the close relationship between team and driver whilst adding further pressure to the under fire Valtteri Bottas, the Finn having failed to win a race all season despite seeing team mate Hamilton wrap up 11 race victories, as well as his second straight World Championship success along the struggling 29-year-old.

His dad bought him the seat at Williams, and whether he intended to or not, he bought his way into Force India, or whatever they'll be called next year, I doubt it'll be Force India.

Lance has one year to prove himself.

He showed flashes of promise in 2017, had such a crap car in 2018 that you can't really draw any conclusions, so 2019 is his moment.

We know how good Force India have been, and we know how good Perez is. If he can beat Perez, then the criticism Stroll has had can be thrown right back in everyone's faces.

If Perez beats him, well, the pay driver Daddy money memes can continue.

Still, don't write him off yet. Remember that since the start of 2016, he's one of only three drivers not in a Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari to score a podium. It'll be interesting, as his team mate next year scored 3 of those 5...

What is the difference between a seat paid for by a family member compared to one paid for by an oil company?

I very much doubt the members of the consortium would be prepared to throw money away just to make Laurence Stroll's son happy :unsure:

Good luck to him :thumbsup:

This has to be the most expected transfer ever. It will be the first time to show what he is truely made of. Whilst Perez has way more experience, he still has like 12 years less experience vs Massa. I honestly hope he can do alright and show he has some genuine talent.

Best of luck to him.

I have nothing against Stroll but I really really wish Kubica and Russell to be in front of Force Stroll just to prove my belief that Williams don't have the worst cars, but they do have the worst drivers in 2018.

His dad bought him the seat at Williams, and whether he intended to or not, he bought his way into Force India, or whatever they'll be called next year, I doubt it'll be Force India.
Force Stroll will be the unoffical name. ;)
Ocon got his reward from Mercedes for driving in to Verstappen helping them to get the constructors WC.
(Just kidding, before whe have another 120 pages of ranting)

Is it bad that Lance Stroll has been able to get into F1 ahead of other drivers who are arguably more deserving purely because his dad is filthy stinking rich? Yes. But does that mean Stroll does not deserve to be in F1? I'm not so sure. I think he's shown that he's a capable driver and he's still very young, he could go on to be very successful with the right opportunities.

Watch and learn, kids: this is how a true talent can lead you to a career in F1.
(your father's talent to make serious money...)
No doubt money talks in all sport. Driving for a sub par team with slight promise does not make you driver of the year.... Yes. Give the kid a chance in a decent car with a Merc engine and see what happens. If what you say is true with Daddy, he will cut his son loose at season end, as it's now Daddy's money in the "comany" and not just buying a seat to drive from the outside looking in. JMHO....Cheers all.

Anyone of us had we had the oppurtunities Lance has had could be driviong in F1.... this wasnt a Dad paying for his kid to drive in F1, this was a Dad paying vast sums to make sure his kid hd the best of everything from aged 6.

Even to the point of buying into Williams and giving him full use of the simulator and a whole year in a Williams F1 car to practise with full team of engineers on various race tracks......that is not normal even in a contect of the crazy F1 money machine....

In short...based on what he has had...he should be A LOT better than the Russian thing he is team mates with..

But also having said that, F1 being what it is, if he had Lewis's car he's probably won a race by now...I mean even Bottas can win in the Merc and Lewis has the best bits / engine maps etc...

Force Stroll will be the unoffical name. ;)
Ocon got his reward from Mercedes for driving in to Verstappen helping them to get the constructors WC.
(Just kidding, before whe have another 120 pages of ranting)

Well, the team is officially called (for now at least) Racing Point Force India, but I expect there to be a name change for next year.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 488 39.2%