Strange Terrain textures in Xpack Great Britain

Tobbe Bergman

@Simberia
Hi fellow track builders !

When I try to build a track with the "Great Britain" Xpack and go to the Edit terrain there are several materials with the name mat0 that looks a bit strange.

I've clicked the Ground Only checkbox but when I try to use them it comes out like an image other than ground texture. They are all in the sub category called Objects in the Great Britain Xpack but they show images of trees and other stuff! It seems like it's showing other material than Ground material!

Objects and SObjects seems to work fine!

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

I don't model much in 3ds Max, but I think the objects in the Xpack where probably created there, where UV Mapping was applied & a texture map (which your seeing) was created, like a big pallet, containing many textures in one file, but assigned to different parts of the object or objects.

People that work more in 3ds Max or similar software might be able to give you a better answer.

There are no terrain textures in GB Xpack. When you add materials into xpack, you can uncheck visibility of them if you want or leave it, since it's all checked as default. I think Jay_p_666 did not pay too much attention for that, so it means nothing really important. The names mat0 or similar are default names from 3ds I guess (Sketchup names them "material0" etc.) There are some textures put together into one (or more) material sheet, which saves some (or many) kilobytes and you can use different textures sizes instead of obligatory 2x2, 4x4, 16x16, 32x32 etc (powers of 2). That is why they look strange if you use them into terrain etc. They are simply designed for other tasks. So, finally GB xpack contain only objects and SObjects and it's inside organisation of materials does not really matter. I'm still happy with that xpack - thanks Jay! :)

There are no terrain textures in GB Xpack. When you add materials into xpack, you can uncheck visibility of them if you want or leave it, since it's all checked as default. I think Jay_p_666 did not pay too much attention for that, so it means nothing really important. The names mat0 or similar are default names from 3ds I guess (Sketchup names them "material0" etc.) There are some textures put together into one (or more) material sheet, which saves some (or many) kilobytes and you can use different textures sizes instead of obligatory 2x2, 4x4, 16x16, 32x32 etc (powers of 2). That is why they look strange if you use them into terrain etc. They are simply designed for other tasks. So, finally GB xpack contain only objects and SObjects and it's inside organisation of materials does not really matter. I'm still happy with that xpack - thanks Jay! :)

Yes I thought so!
It's a really good xpack even if it's not that well organized.
Can hardly wait for Jay_p_666's next GB xpack!

Cheers m8 :wink:

You can find ground and road textures in original RBR files - they are inside .rbz files in folder called "Maps"
(e.g. track-20_N_textures.rbz). Copy file like this somewhere, rename .rbz to .zip (change extension) and voila :) They all are in .dds format, so you will need something like Photoshop NVidia DDDS plugin or other tool to open these files.

You can find ground and road textures in original RBR files - they are inside .rbz files in folder called "Maps"
(e.g. track-20_N_textures.rbz). Copy file like this somewhere, rename .rbz to .zip (change extension) and voila :) They all are in .dds format, so you will need something like Photoshop NVidia DDDS plugin or other tool to open these files.

Thanks for the tip!

Do I need to open them ?

Can't I just use them as the other Xpack Zip files ?

No, open/extract them as normal zip - they will not work as xpacks. Just single materials sheets with many textures. Some of them may be the same as in GB xpack. Anyway, Jay just used them as they were. But you can find more textures from other tracks/countries - it just needs time to find them. I don't remember names/numbers of files from that "Maps" folder, sorry :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 323 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 223 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 281 13.4%