F1 2010 Strange AI during career

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi everyone

The other week I've begun my 2nd season (1st in virgin and 2nd in Sauber), with all aid-off except traction control (medium). Using the setup post here I was able to be in the top ten in almost every races, even if both qualify and race I was 1.5-2sec slower than the the leader. No problem, it's the "fun" of the game to fight a little bit to achieve the victory..:D
So, no problem since the last race. Before Abu Dhabi my manager told me Sauber will discharge me (during the season I've always answered "bad" to prompt other team contacting me...) and so on...To achieve a better "last race" (i.e. to show other team how good I am XD) I've decided to change option (namely changing t.c. from medium to full, and enabling ABS; I paused the game and modified them in the help menu, not in the menu in the motorhome); in qualifying I've noticed that my lap-time was not so good, so I return to the old game option and I've finished in 10th position with a gap of 2-2.5 sec
But a miracle happened...
Once I've started the race after the 1st lap I was 5th (ok, also in all the other races my first lap was good enough to gain 3-4 positions; I noticed that AI's lap time is quite slow in every 1st lap) but I was astonished when in 2nd lap I was able to reach the 2nd position. Well, I play with 20% race-lap and I ended in 2nd position but the strange thing is that during my race I was always slower than my qualifying-lap.
"Ok, lots of luck" I thought, but since I 've started my 3rd season (now on Toro Rosso) nothing seems to change. Both in Bahrein and Australia I've reached the 9th position during qualifying (gap 1.5 sec) but I've won both races even if, in order to understand if it was only "luck", I drive very slowly, I mean 1-1.5 sec slower than my q-lap.
So, my question are:
What the f*ck do you think I have done? XD
Is there any way to take me back to my tough race?
What have I to do to increase AI speed during race (cause in qualyfing they do just fine)?

PS: sorry for my bad english, I'm from Italy ;)
PPS: I play on PC

If you want to keep FULL TC and ABS then my mod will make the ai very competitive without being impossible to beat ... http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-mods/61698-download-aifsbv2c.html

Codemasters have never been any good with playability they rely on the games being good looking for sales, f1 2010 was rushed out and never finished off, instead of building a good game engine from the ground up they patch over problems which causes other problems, its not the coders fault really its the stupid management pushing them for a early releases.

Ok, but what about Bahrein and Australia?
Now I'm in Kuala Lumpur and I'm not able to reduce my gap less than 1.5-2 sec. I intentionally finish the qualifying in 18th position but within 2 laps I easily reach 5th position...very unrealistic :(

I forgot to told you another strange thing.
Both in Barehien and Australia I was in 2nd position during the race (Button and Hamilton were 1st with a gap of 3-4 sec); I do the pit-stop with them but after few laps they both stop again...and no collision happened between us. I play with 20% and in the previous season No one did 2 stops!!

I can only answer parts of your question.
First question: What AI speed (Legend, Pro etc)?
Second, if you want challenge you need to turn off TCS, ABS. The driving is more fun also.
Third, AI race pace in certain tracks is slow and once your own pace improves you start to notice this. In my view the AI are slow at
Bahrain, Canada. Abu Dhabi to name a few. Their quali times are database generated and bear no relation to their race pace.
Over a season you need to take maximum points where they are available as certain tracks are impossible (Catalunya) others extremely hard to win (Monaco, Brazil).
I much prefer 50% races distance.

What you say is true. Bahrein and Australia was quite easy but in Malaysia I can't go better than 5th position (even if I started from 18 th); now on China I qualify in 10th. Let's see...

I know that turning off TC etc (I don't use ABS at all) will make drive more tough, but I wanna do step by step, so now I'm on a medium TC XD

On the PC version (italian) I choose the hardest level of AI, namely "expert" (not sure of it, but something like it) but no sign of "legend" or "pro" stuff

AI qualifying times have nothing to do with the actual AI speed on the track, so even if you qualified last you could still win the race or vice versa you could qualify 1st and come last in the race.

Traction control off with a gamepad is a bit of nightmare but you can stop a spin in this game if you very turn the opposite way your spinning and quickly brake hard but there is no warning your going to spin so to be ready for it all the time will impair your lap times.

Unlike geoff crammond games the AI in F1 2010 do not adhere to the same physics as the player, they operate on a very simple level and will often break the laws you have to stick to.

Every codemasters game I've played is exactly the same, they look great but play like a whipped donkey and need multiple mods to get them to a decent level.

I use a gamepad and it's not easy to drive with medium TC, I've tried several times to turn off TC but in almost every corner I've had spin. I also know your trick to avoid spin but, as you say, lap time become too high :(

The physics of AI is pretty strange, i.e. sector 3 in Barcellona is my pain in the a** while AI does the chicane very easily XD

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%