Storable Sim Rig - need suggestions

Hi all

I live in a small 1-bedroom apartment with my girlfriend, so space is at a premium. Currently I'm using my Fanatec CSL Elite base and pedals, with the loadcell kit, on a regular desk and using an office chair with lockable wheels. The thing that bugs me the most in my setup is the swivel and "lean-back" of the chair when I apply some brake force (currently 60kg rubbers and only using 60% of the brake travel, mapped to 100% in-game).

I love my loadcell kit and I wanted to get more travel out of my brake pedal but I can't do it with my current setup, without it falling apart. Unfortunately, for the next year or so I'll be stuck in the same apartment, so I can't upgrade to a proper sturdy simrig.

Is there any rigs that can be easily stored? Like 15mins of setup would be ideal. I hate flex, so I'd be looking into the most sturdy in my price range. Also, I much prefer the F1-style rigs, but GTs are acceptable too. I'll be playing in VR.

f-gt_lite_hero_800x600.png

but I'm afraid it'll wobble a bit... Even though my wheel is not that powerful. Do you guys have any suggestions for around 500€ with seat?

Thanks in advance.

The playseat challenge is the other portable/collapsable rig that has been available for a while. These solutions are obviously not as rigid as a real rig but they are a lot lighter and foldable. I don't know which is better between the two, have seen only a few reviews of the next level one.

Upvote 0
There’s no way a foldaway solution will really give you little or no flex. I think you’ll have dial back your expectations a little. I’ve a SimLab GT1 and a DD1 wheel, but I also have a Playseat Challebge and a G29 in my office. I don’t mind the Playseat at all - but I think load cell pedals would destroy the bracket which holds the pedal base. You’d have better results if you could back the rear of the pedals and the tray against a wall, but they are still held in by a large velcro strap unless you do some ‘modding’

That NextLevel thing you’ve pictured would be a nightmare with T3Pa pro’s and a Fanatec wheelbase - it’d weigh LOADS and would be really tricky to manoeuvre and store. It also looks like a flex nightmare to me.

TLDR is I’d go playseat - it’s really cheap and you can almost look on it as an experiment. If it’s not suitable, then you can just sell it on. But there will be a little flex in the wheel mount (the fanatec wheelbase is a lot heavier than a G29 base, and the pedal bracket will need some tic. It’s really aimed at the G29 setup and with VR it’s still really good considering it’s price point.

Any questions, fire em at me...

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answers.

The playseat, where I live, is around 20% cheaper than the one in the picture.

I'm perfectly aware that I ill have flex. What I meant was that I want the rig with less flex possible that CAN FOLD. Obviously not comparing to fixed alternatives, no way that these rigs would stack up. I just want a solution for on year, and then move into a proper rig with a DD wheel.

I'm torn between both playseat and NLT. I was just hoping that there was a metal rig of some manufacturer that I didn't heard of that could fold with some hinges and/or bolts and take less space (weight is not a concern).

Upvote 0
You think weight isn't a concern until you have to drag it away maybe scoring floors and furniture.. and they are still bulky with the wheel and pedals attached.

Look forward to seeing what you do.

The NL one does have a nice f1 position to it. Post pics if you get one

Upvote 0
I think the Challenge is fine. It is really foldable and setting it up will take you just a minute. I had mine with CSW 2.5 and CSL Elite LC and it worked well. The issue with the pedals is that if you set the brakeforce high, the pedal tray will lift up when you push hard on the pedals. I think I had BRF at around 35-40 in the Fanatec software when using the Challenge, more that and you'd run into trouble.

There is also some up-down (both not sideways) -flex in the wheelbase, but that is not noticeable when driving, especially in VR.

Upvote 0
I have a play seat challenge and use it with DD2 and load cell pedals. I've made some simple modifications to sort the up / down flex on the wheelbase. I have no problem with the pedal tray - again made some simple modifications. There is some bounce through the whole seat but I like it - it doesn't seem to impact precision and adds to realism - i only play in VR. Link to pics and details https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/simagic-m10.177508/post-3118047

Upvote 0
I have a play seat challenge and use it with DD2 and load cell pedals. I've made some simple modifications to sort the up / down flex on the wheelbase. I have no problem with the pedal tray - again made some simple modifications. There is some bounce through the whole seat but I like it - it doesn't seem to impact precision and adds to realism - i only play in VR. Link to pics and details https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/simagic-m10.177508/post-3118047

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've no problems in modding mine, I just don't want to build one from scratch since all the supply shops are closed and I build as I go, so I don't want to buy the supplies online.

Upvote 0
I have a play seat challenge and use it with DD2 and load cell pedals. I've made some simple modifications to sort the up / down flex on the wheelbase. I have no problem with the pedal tray - again made some simple modifications.

I would really like it if you could share the modifications. I find the flex unbearable. I have ordered a 3d printed part from ebay that is supposed to help but it's on it's way right now.

EDIT: just saw it

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%