Stopping smoking... Now vaping!

ML2166

If quizzes are quizzical then what are tests?
Premium
Hey guys off topic completely here.

I have attempted to stop smoking a few times now....without any luck whatsoever. I suffer from Tinnitus, probably a by-product from my yoouff...:roflmao:, lots and lots of nightclubs loud music etc etc.

I always found that smoking somewhat helped ease the anxiety a little when the noises tended to get a bit loud shall we say. It had a calming influence because I had been smoking for so long. Without the stinkys it was almost like the noises would be louder for a more frequent amount of time....hence why it was partially difficult to quit.

Then I found "vaping". Yes I know it's been around for a pretty long time, but as I had my head in the sand I only came across it 10 months ago. Always knew about the electronic stinkys, but never gave them a second look due to me not thinking they would be up to the job.

Since finding the vaping scene and all that it has to offer, I know haven't had a stinky for 10 months, not using any liquid with nicotine in it either. Now this at the time was a complete shock to me being a pack a day smoker for many many many years.

The smokers out there will know what it was like having a ciggie in the morning with your coffee, for a lot this was probably the best of the day. But now with the flavours available, without sounding daft hopefully, you can still vape.....say something like a vanilla based flavour, with your coffee in the morning, and jesus does it taste nice, the combo of vanilla and fresh coffee.

The range of flavours available are mind boggling, and I wish I'd only discovered all this earlier.

I now am trying my hand at creating my own flavours, so was wondering if anyone else within the wonderful world of RD has given up the nasty habit via vaping, and also if anyone is creating their own flavours and what success they have had with it?

:)

Each to their own. But thank god where I work vaping is classed as smoking and totally outlawed.

I smoked for 30 years and gave it up in one day. It was hard. Probably the hardest thing in my life. But I did it without aids, without electronic fags and with great pride. I wish I had never smoked. I just know it has caused damage.

Just give it up. It's still a very nasty and disgusting looking habit in my opinion.
Sorry if it offends, but it is how I feel.

Yep get you, but as explained it does still kind of help me out with the Tinnitus quite a lot, just seems to calm me a little as it can get quite stressful sometimes. Have tried many thing to try and take my mind of it, and haven't found anything else that seems to help in any way.

ive considered it but never seriously. main reason being convenience.

im curious, why is it unhealthy at all? or probably unhealthy? i mean i think its obvious that inhaling smoke is pretty stupid, but nicotine delivered thru vapor seems totally harmless to me

ML2166, if you feel you need it and it makes your life better, good for you. Enjoy it.

As for the health risks, i don't know but I am sure there are studies going on. Any chemical being injested has to be bad for you.

Last edited:
Total nico junkie myself but when I quit (and I should!) I want to quit entirely and not continue the nicotine addiction with a different medium.

That said, I have zero experience with vaping so to get rid of the tar and stuff vaping is already a step into the right direction.

Interesting thread :thumbsup:

@yusupov Nicotine as we all should know is poison in it's raw state. Bit more on the subject here.

@Bram Hengeveld I too was a nico junkie, towards the end for different reasons as stated above. I thought there would be little to no chance of me kicking the habit (have little patience or willpower), but from day one of the switch over, I have never had the urge for the real thing shall we say. I was surprised to see how easy it was. Went straight to zero nicotine from the start, so for me at least it appears that it is just the actual act of smoking that I find calming, rather than any addictive properties within cigarettes, thus making kicking the real habit easier to do. Of course this may and will probably not be the same for everyone.

But I must say, as a previous smoker, coffee in the morning now.....mmmmmm.

:D

This guy I find quite informative on various aspects

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc345z36sFqyC1BheWmW_Iw

Vaping isn't about doing no harm to yourself, it's about minimising the harm whilst still getting your dose of nicotine. There are in excess of 4000 chemicals present when burning tobacco.

Over time your preferred nicotine level may drop, but nicotine itself is not a carcinogenic.

After 42 years smoking, vaping is the only thing that's helped me. I haven't had a cigarette for 17 months.

So you can guess how I feel about all the naysayers who want to screw me over now, usually based on media lies and half-truths promoted by those with an agenda, such as big tobacco and pharmaceutical companies. They've seen the future, and they want the whole cake and won't settle for a slice.

I don't want to say what I think of kneejerk politicians, the scum of the earth, lobbied to death by those with a vested interest.

That's all I am going to say about this, because it makes me extremely angry. So I don't want to end up sending myself to Simberia as a result.

Vape on!

I stopped little over 3 years ago after smoking for roughly 15 years, many years at 10 packs a week.

I quit from one day on the other, not even with a real intent of quitting, it actually just was a "Oh, we (my g/f and me) will stop soon, could test out how hard it will get" and that evening i didn't smoke, the next morning i didn't smoke, in work i didn't smoke, the whole next day passed without me smoking (although i had a pack and a lighter with me all the time for emergencies *g*) and after the first 48 hours i knew i had overcome my addiction.
My g/f is still smoking :)

But i always knew that nicotine wasn't my problem.
The habit, the rituals, those were the big black monsters i had to fight off.

I'm also sure that there are a multitude of things helping ML2166 out with his tinitus, but smoking helped, so vaping is the first choice there (As i assume it's mostly about the in-ear pressure, sucking on anything or moving the jaw as in exhaling would work too - would maybe look awkward, but could work).

If quitting wouldn't have worked the way it did, i would have tried those electronic cigarettes that don't have nicotine or any flavors in them, just pure water steam.
I think there are those without anything?
At least that was what i was told.

I just know it has caused damage.
The human body is very capable of recovering.
I've read about studiues showing that roughly 15 years after quitting to smoke
your risk for cancer and lungs and heart diseases is the same as for people who
never smoked in their lives.

Of course if damage is already permanent, that doesn't help.

I stopped little over 3 years ago after smoking for roughly 15 years, many years at 10 packs a week.

I quit from one day on the other, not even with a real intent of quitting, it actually just was a "Oh, we (my g/f and me) will stop soon, could test out how hard it will get" and that evening i didn't smoke, the next morning i didn't smoke, in work i didn't smoke, the whole next day passed without me smoking (although i had a pack and a lighter with me all the time for emergencies *g*) and after the first 48 hours i knew i had overcome my addiction.
My g/f is still smoking :)

But i always knew that nicotine wasn't my problem.
The habit, the rituals, those were the big black monsters i had to fight off.

I'm also sure that there are a multitude of things helping ML2166 out with his tinitus, but smoking helped, so vaping is the first choice there (As i assume it's mostly about the in-ear pressure, sucking on anything or moving the jaw as in exhaling would work too - would maybe look awkward, but could work).

If quitting wouldn't have worked the way it did, i would have tried those electronic cigarettes that don't have nicotine or any flavors in them, just pure water steam.
I think there are those without anything?
At least that was what i was told.

The human body is very capable of recovering.
I've read about studiues showing that roughly 15 years after quitting to smoke
your risk for cancer and lungs and heart diseases is the same as for people who
never smoked in their lives.

Of course if damage is already permanent, that doesn't help.
Yes I believe there are flavourless options out there that are PG and VG based, although from what I am aware of VG actually has a natural sweetness when heated anyway.

Good to hear you kicked the habit with the analogs so easy. They say it helps if you do actually really want to kick the habit, sounds like you did.

:thumbsup:

Here is a sample of my vaporizer/mod collection. I have another 35 or so mechanical mods and tanks. All my old ego style beginners stuff, which we all go through during our journey, is now stored away, or I have given to my brother to help him on his way.

I make my own e-juice, but still buy commercial stuff now and then for a change. I tend to go for fruit flavours. When i started (as a heavy smoker), I started on 24mg tobacco flavoured juices. It didn't take long for me to find my preferred level of 18mg, and I started to dislike the tobacco flavours. Soon I started making my own @18mg , and preferred fruits, mints, and menthols.

Over the past 17 months I've gone to 16mg, and am currently @ 14mg nicotine. I am gradually reducing the nicotine, I may or may not stop the nicotine in the future, but that's my choice and I am buggered if anyone going to tell me what to do or what I can buy. All my ingredients (PG/VG/Nicotine) are pharmaceutical grade and high quality. If you try and prevent me from buying nicotine legally, I will get it illegally, but then I have no control over it's quality, so shame on you. I buy 72mg/ml nicotine (max in the UK) diluted in VG (Vegetable Glycerine). If I was making 18mg juice, then I would diluted it further with the VG/PG/Flavouring to a quarter of it's strength (4 x 18 = 72). The max in the USA is 100mg/ml.

Yes, nicotine is poison and should be treated with respect, stored in childproof containers, and kept of of reach of children and pets. Just like bleach, washing tabs (for your washing machine), and many other household products found around your home. Take responsibility for what you do with it and how you store it, the same as any other dangerous product, and stop expecting the government to protect you from your own failings as an adult.

Good luck to everyone in giving up the stinkies, and whatever method or device you use to get to your goal, whether it's to vape forever, or give up totally.

Vape on!

Collection.jpg

Stingray_Cu_Fogger.jpg

20140606_143109.jpg

IMG_20150702_142949.jpg

IMG_20150528_135247.jpg

Please not that this a personal opinion, and does not reflect the views of Race Department or it's Staff :)

Last edited:
So true! It kind of turns into a hobby. With the bonus that I smell like a fruit, and can climb the stairs without breathing heavily.

Building coils, using different wicking methods and materials. We love our atomisers! :D

The majority of vapers continue with their basic devices, often unaware of the growing sub-culture of 'more technical' vaping (not an ideal expression). What I do isn't for everyone and is probably not regarded as the norm. However, if that basic device satisfies you, gets you through the day without stinkies, well all power to you too :)

The good thing is, is that development is very fast, and those 'technical' devices that were used by the few, have been refined, are cheaper, and are available at entry level now. Things like iSticks, and the basic kits released by Kanger, Innokin, and Aspire that include quality batteries, tanks (atomisers) and disposable coils that work very well and give great flavour.

Jesus Graham, you should start your own Youtube channel. :roflmao:

Myself I only have a few devices, Innokin cool fire 4, Itaste MVP3 pro, Subtank G, Aspire Atlantis, Subtank mini, plus Cherry Bomber box mod paired with a genuine Twisted messes dripper. Still have my Kanger MOW and 30w Istick somewhere that I started off with.

You going to be giving this temp control lark a go?

You still buying any premium juices at all now you make your own? Which ones if you do.

Cloned any of them yet either?

Hi mate

That last picture is a 60w Zero Mod with temperature control, I have also got a Kamry 60w TC on a aeroplane somewhere between here and China :)

I predominately make juices from concentrate where the store sells the pre-made juice. Very few stores sell the concentrate they make their juice from. So I try the commercial one, then buy the flavouring for them. I also use Capella and FlavourArt flavourings.

Currently I make a menthol, Just about everyone sells a menthol-mint concentrate, it's hard to get a bad one. I also make a Pina Colada flavour (Capella).

I use the menthol/mint when I wake and before I go to bed. It can also clear the palate when you get 'vapers tongue' and nothing tastes good :)

I am trying a couple of American high VG juices at the moment, but am finding them a little sweet sometimes @ 80%VG. One is essentially Blueberry, the other Peach & Apricot.

Have a google for these, these are my all day vapes and maybe an acquired taste. When I first got those first two, I though "Wow, pretty weird taste", but within 2 days I loved them. I make lots of those first two :-

Red Astaire <<<--- Red berries, black grape, sweet eucalyptus, aniseed and menthol
Jacques Le Mon <<<--- Lemongrass and lime, aniseed, mojito and menthol
Tangerine Dream <<<--- Red berries, tangerines and mandarins

I have more of a fruity creamy custard taste myself.

Normally go for

Twelve Vapours Capricorn
Digbys Mums Custard
ANML Looper
Suicide Bunnys Mothers Milk or Suckerpunch

and using Mrs Bee´s True Dairy Custard either on it's own or as a base and adding a drop or two of a different flavour to give it a creamy fruit taste.

Currently going to be trying to clone either Looper or Mothers Milk at a 70/30 VG/PG ratio, but have heard and read that Cereal Killa is meant to be pretty much spot on for my taste too. Not tried it yet though.

It's funny how tastes vary.

I can't stand pies, vanillas, custards and other bakery flavours. Of course next year it may all change, I don't like tobaccos at all, when I did last year (R4Y).

I've made loads of stuff that is disgusting, but at least I do it in small samples and don't waste nicotine on them (the 1st tests). From Cinnamon Swirl to Boston Cream Pie and Peanut Butter, plus many flavours in between. :sick:

I've applied to the government for a lab rat stipend ....... ;)

Trying to find the initial few flavours that you might like, I found to be a horrible experience and a waste of money.

I really wished the vape shops did small sampler packs, with a whole range of flavours (some do, but not many).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 486 39.1%