Stock Cars in the Time Trial Contest

First, the contest is cool, so check it out if you have not already.

But I am finding the until-now mostly ignored by me stock cars to be incredibly finicky to drive. Are they really that skittish and tail-happy in real life? They can't even handle a flat curb at steady speed without flinging themselves around. I find them just about the least enjoyable car to drive in AMS. Is it just a default set-up issue? Or is it the nature of the beast? And yes, I know there is a huge amount of torque available at almost any rpm, so am trying to be very gentle with the throttle...but still not what I would imagine would be a very usable race car in real life.

Most other AMS cars feel perfectly planted and require the expected amount of due diligence. If these things are really that hard to keep pointed straight, the racers in that series deserve medals :)

I find them to be a little skittish also. In fact, I'm scared to turn the wheel or get back on the gas. Probably the reason I can't get within a half a second of my best TT time that I turned on the first day of the contest.

I discovered that the bump stops were way too high for me. Lowering them and leaving the rest of the set-up at default (or maybe bumping ride height up just a notch) suddenly allowed the dampers to do their job and the car to react like a normal car (curbs, hard braking, direction changes). Still relatively skittish, but not ridiculous as the default set-up is for Velopark. The default set-up seems to be for a billiard-table flat track with few bumps or ripples or curbs.

I didn't bother with the default setup. Now that we can easily download the setups of the fast guys we have several good options to choose from :)
But as i try to understand setups a little bit more, i will test and see how suggested changes alter the behavior. Thanks for the tip.

Could you please explain where the bump stops are in the Garage Menu? Thanks in advance!

Suspension page of the Garage settings. They may have a slightly different name, but that's what I know them as and how I refer to them. Away from computer for quite a while, but let us know if you can't find. Someone will give the exact name. Try lowering them three or four notches--you should be able to immediately notice the difference. The car is riding on the stops too much in the default setup.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back