Stock Car 2015 - Race 1 Goiânia Highlights

Fabio Rodrigues

Reiza Studios Community Manager
Hey guys, I thought I'd share this link here:

http://globoesporte.globo.com/motor...13-ricardo-mauricio-e-campeao-nas-duplas.html

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this video will work outside Brazil. I hope it does! If it doesn't, I assume there are sneaky ways around it using VPNs, or browser addons that do something similar. The broadcast is in Portuguese, obviously.

The race was fairly entertaining. It was a special 50 minute event with 2 drivers per car - the drivers in the first half were the actual Stock V8 drivers, but in the 2nd they were guests. There were all kinds of guests: famous (last) names, like Bruno Senna, Nelson Piquet Jr., Nicolas Prost; old Stock legends like Ingo Hoffman and Chico Serra, some former F1 drivers like Jamie Alguersuari, Vitantonio Liuzzi and... Jacques Villeneuve. Who is batshit insane, if you'll forgive my French. I do hope the video works just so you can see what he did (he was driving car #10).

Some of the drivers did make more pragmatic choices for their partners - by pragmatic, I mean choosing people who actually have some experience in cars similar to the V8s. And it's no surprise that the podium was filled by Ricardo Mauricio partnered with Néstor Girolami (Argentina TC2000's champion), Marcos Gomes with Mark Winterbottom (who races the V8 Supercars in Australia), and Allan Khodair with Antonio Félix da Costa (Portuguese driver who currently races in DTM).

Fun stuff, though! Well worth watching, if the video works. I really hope it does! Have I mentioned that?

Thanks, Fabio, for sharing that with us. Like Troy mentioned, I'm also watching from the US, not understanding anything being said, but truly enjoying the video. Great stuff and very cool to see actual footage of these cars racing. Looked like a really exciting race. And yes, Villeneuve looked like he lost his mind out there. Did they say in the video if he was penalized or anything for his behavior?

Great to hear that it worked! And yeah, Villeneuve went berserk in the race. Before that incident he had already spun twice, and if you look closer, you'll see that Perez's car (incidentally, that's the brother of F1's Sergio Perez) was already damaged before Villeneuve shunted him off, so something must have happened before the TV cameras caught the incident.

And yeah, he was punished after the race, lost 5 positions in the final standings, I believe. Thankfully for his partner, Ricardo Zonta, this first race only awards half points (probably because of similar incidents with guest drivers!)

But now that I know that these videos work, I'll try to post something after every race. Next one is Ribeirão Preto on April 5th :)

Anyone got a link to watch the race at Ribeirão Preto please?

Sadly that website didn't upload a highlight reel this time, I don't know why. Hopefully there'll be an youtube video later.

The races were a mess, both on and off the track. This was the standard SC format: one long race (45min) followed by a shorter one (28min).

But Ribeirão Preto has a distinct issue: the track is very short, including the pits. So in these races there was no mandatory tyre change and no refueling was allowed.

The first race was wet, but the rain stopped at around 10 minutes in and the track began to gradually dry out. Max Wilson had tyre trouble and saw his lead being quickly erased by Cacá Bueno, who overtook him and hang on for the win. Surprisingly, being a street track under wet conditions, there were no yellow flags in the first race.

But the first mess happened right at the end - race control simply *forgot* to give Cacá Bueno and Marcos Gomes, who was trailing him, the checkered flag. They only did so for 3rd place onwards, which led to Cacá and Gomes going all out in the "extra" lap, while there were already people walking on the track, etc. They almost crashed into each other. Cacá was livid after the fact.

Then came the big mess. Supposedly there's parc fermé between the races - no refueling nor tyre changes allowed. Knowing this, a few cars in the back of the pack in race 1 changed to slick tyres during the race, but most people remained with the wet tyres. *But* a couple of teams thought there was some ambiguity in the rules that allowed for a tyre change in case of different weather conditions. Which had happened, the second race was dry. But other teams disagreed, there was much arguing, the 20-minute interval between races became a 50-minute one...

In the end the cars that changed tyres during the interval were allowed to race, starting from the pits, and losing all the points in race 1.

When the race finally started, it was utter chaos. A bunch of cars immediately went to the pits to change tyres, a bunch of cars stayed on wets, then there was a third bunch exiting the pits... which meant the race was much more eventful as the drivers on slicks overtook those on wets, which included a handful of crashes and spins, etc. Entertaining stuff. Tuka Rocha managed to hold off Sergio Jimenez and Átila Abreu to score his first ever Stock Car victory.

So... yeah. I hope there's an youtube video soon!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 234 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 163 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.2%