Stint Calculator (Google Sheets)

Hi boys! I created a spreadsheet using Google Sheets that calculates the optimum race strategy according to fuel levels and tyre wear. It's not black magic, but it requires a tiny bit of time to fully understand it. I just feel like I have to share my work with you as I love this community.
You can get it from this link:

Copy into your Google Drive
The first and the most important step you have to take it’s to make sure you’re not editing the public release of the sheet. Other people may be online working on the same file at once and get in the way of each other. By copying the Google Sheet on your Drive, you’re sure no one else can edit it. You can still view and edit the sheet even if you haven’t a Google Account, but I highly recommend avoiding it.

Copy into your Google Drive by: File > Create a copy

Items Description
The whole interface is divided into 4 different tabs: Race, Fuel, Tyres and Pitboard; with a total of 7 editable cells, each of these highlighted with a small black triangle in the upper-right corner.
A brief explanation of each cell is shown by hovering the mouse over it and it’s reported here for clarification purposes.

RACE
  • Race Length: in minutes. The software can calculate the strategy for VERY long races, but only the first 150 laps are shown, as the Pitboard repeats itself at some point.
  • Laptime: in seconds. Expected average laptime in race conditions. Use comma as a decimal separator.
  • Estimated Laps: the total amount of laps are estimated based on your average race pace and the race length. The white flag is supposed to be shown only when there is no time left.
FUEL
  • Tank Size: tank capacity, or your starting fuel, if you don't need to stop for refueling.
  • Fuel/Lap: amount of fuel consumed every lap. It can be set in Litres, kg or Gallons. Use comma as a decimal separator.
  • Fuel Window: In this fuel window, the number of refuels doesn't change. A consumption lower than that means less pit-stops, more otherwise.
TYRES
  • Tyre Wear: you can enable or disable tyre wear by using this toggle.
  • Wear/Lap: the amount of tread used per lap. It can be an average value on 4 wheels or the lowest one, based on your personal taste.
  • Strategy: aggressive strategy tends to change tyres more often, while Conservative keeps them on longer. Normal is in between.
PITBOARD
  • Lap: the calculations predicted that you’ll need to box at the end of this lap.
  • Elapsed Time: the elapsed time from the beginning of the race when you stop. Useful to plan driver’s swaps during endurance races.
  • n° of pits: the total amount of pits predicted to complete the race, even if the pitboard can only show the first seven pit-stops.

userinterface.png

Last edited:
is there a way to implement stint timer?
so if you only have a 65min stint timer, it automatically adjusts the fuel etc?
i wanted to do it myself but i am absolute useless in excel
otherwise a great tool

Last edited:
is there a way to implement stint timer?
By this are you referring to a driving time limit?
It shouldn't be hard to implement. For the moment you can limit the tank size just to cover the stint limit. To find the right amount of tank size you can set the race length to the stint limit (ex. 65min) and it should suggest the starting fuel needed in a cyan box into the fuel label.

I've updated the UI in such a way that the Tank Size cell now automatically changes text into Starting Fuel if needed. I believe I fixed the confusion that could happen in certain situations, when the algoritm suggested to not start on full tank.

View attachment 482982
You are right in your comment. The calculator is easy to handle, but it took some time to understand. I do not understand the Part with a fuel window. In my version I downloaded yesterday there is the Part B10-D10 with the fuel window. Can you please explain? And is it right, that the CYAN cell isn't protected??

Thanks for this good tool und a short answer..

such an awesome calculator. thank you so much. i have one question about the stints. how can you change the time of stints? because right now it is a standard of 8 minutes. but cannot change it to a stint of more minutes. can you or someone help me with it please

such an awesome calculator. thank you so much. i have one question about the stints. how can you change the time of stints? because right now it is a standard of 8 minutes. but cannot change it to a stint of more minutes. can you or someone help me with it please
Can you please better describe what you're trying to achieve?
As far as I know stint length depends on fuel tank size and tyre wear. Be sure to properly set them in the first page.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%