Still not getting it (fps)

I know I know you're all thinking for goodness sake Jim!! I'm learning lots of things on here but one of the things that still confuses me is FPS. I see videos and hear people say "Great I'm getting 60 fps" then I hear other people say "Great, I'm getting 120 fps" which one is then people? my monitor has a refresh rate of 60hz I've tried RF2 with no Vsync and I get about 140 fps max but dips on certain parts of tracks to 89-90fps. I've also tried it with the Nvidia Adaptive setting which obviously keep things in line for my refresh rate and I can max everything to the hilt with that setting but............................... and it's the but part I'm not getting. I can't tell whether I'm getting better performance with the higher fps but slightly less graphics (some set on high instead of max) or with the adaptive vsync all on max. I'm only running with GTX 770 but what am I looking for on screen to help me decide what settings to use. Sorry again but obviously I read posts on here and it just gets a bit confusing :-(

I know I know you're all thinking for goodness sake Jim!! I'm learning lots of things on here but one of the things that still confuses me is FPS. I see videos and hear people say "Great I'm getting 60 fps" then I hear other people say "Great, I'm getting 120 fps" which one is then people? my monitor has a refresh rate of 60hz I've tried RF2 with no Vsync and I get about 140 fps max but dips on certain parts of tracks to 89-90fps. I've also tried it with the Nvidia Adaptive setting which obviously keep things in line for my refresh rate and I can max everything to the hilt with that setting but............................... and it's the but part I'm not getting. I can't tell whether I'm getting better performance with the higher fps but slightly less graphics (some set on high instead of max) or with the adaptive vsync all on max. I'm only running with GTX 770 but what am I looking for on screen to help me decide what settings to use. Sorry again but obviously I read posts on here and it just gets a bit confusing :-(

On a 60 Hz monitor, as long as you remain at 60fps + all the time, it doesn't matter how high it goes really. Only when it goes below that will you start to notice frame skips etc.

Yeah Joao, I think that I should stick to that and stop messing about. I hear people say you get better performance with higher fps but surely that is if you have a 144hz monitor or 120hz. I also hear other people say having it on adaptive or vsync gives you more input lag from the wheel but can't say I've noticed it.

My fps can drop to the low 40's - especially online with a full grid. But I do have most settings maxed out @ 1080p. The annoying thing is that my CPU usage during the game is only around 50% and my GPU is around 80% so the game doesnt full utilise my system. I think this is just an issue that will get resolved in time with ISI unless anyone has any ideas?

Haha that'll do for me ;) that means I'll be running on max settings all round now

Great. Sounds like you have a beast of a PC then... I get about 40FPS when it goes really low on Nords.

My fps can drop to the low 40's - especially online with a full grid. But I do have most settings maxed out @ 1080p. The annoying thing is that my CPU usage during the game is only around 50% and my GPU is around 80% so the game doesnt full utilise my system. I think this is just an issue that will get resolved in time with ISI unless anyone has any ideas?

Yeah, it is poorly optimised. But it has been from the start. It would be a nice surprise if they are working on it, but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way, how do you record GPU and CPU usage whilst playing a game? I wanna record mine, and start a thread requesting them to optimise it better, on their own forum. Is there a tool for this?

Tag my name when you reply to this or quote this message, in case I forget about it.

That's interesting my cpu usage is similar but my gpu is about 95% so is that telling me RF2 is a graphically demanding game? I know when I've raced or hotlapped online especially, my fan is going on the pc.

Great. Sounds like you have a beast of a PC then... I get about 40FPS when it goes really low on Nords.

Yeah, it is poorly optimised. But it has been from the start. It would be a nice surprise if they are working on it, but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way, how do you record GPU and CPU usage whilst playing a game? I wanna record mine, and start a thread requesting them to optimise it better, on their own forum. Is there a tool for this?

Tag my name when you reply to this or quote this message, in case I forget about it.
@Ho3n3r Not really a beast of a pc compared to some. Processor is 3.2ghz and nvidia 770 with 8gb ram, middle of the road pc really.

I ju

@Ho3n3r I just leave the resource monitor open in the background then a app called GPU-Z to record the the usage of the the GPU.

It will only give you 60 secs of data on a small graph but its useful .

I have my fps capped at 60 fps Jim - on a standard 60hz monitor you don't get any benifit from any higher. As long as my fps don't drop below 40 when there is alot going on I dont really mind

How many visible cars do you have it set 2?

I ju

@Ho3n3r I just leave the resource monitor open in the background then a app called GPU-Z to record the the usage of the the GPU.

I have my fps capped at 60 fps Jim - on a standard 60hz monitor you don't get any benifit from any higher. As long as my fps don't drop below 40 when there is alot going on I dont really mind

Cool, so no tools available to do both simultaneously yet. Thanks.

Will try this method and see what I get. :thumbsup:

I ju

I normally have it either 20 or 22 I think

What are you using to monitor your fps? I typically use MSI Afterburner to monitor my fps in most games, but for some reason it doesn't report correctly in rF2. Sometimes it jumps to 80-90fps and still feels a little choppy so one day I decided to check it using FRAPS. FRAPS is much more accurate and was showing my actual fps to be different than what MSI Afterburner was showing. I've never known Afterburner to be wrong except in this game, not sure why, but it doesn't work correctly. FRAPS is never wrong I just don't generally like to run multiple monitoring programs but if you're trying to fine tune your graphics settings vs. performance, use FRAPS.

In rFactor 2 you can monitor your fps by pressing CTRL+F.

I recommend setting a framerate cap. Based on my experience, big variance in framerate causes stuttering. For example if fps drops from 120fps to 90fps I can easily notice that drop and that distracts my driving. Currently I'm using 90fps cap on a 60hz monitor but set it to whatever your computer can handle consistently.

You can set a framerate cap in player.json file on line "Max Framerate":90,

Also in some first person shooters I have noticed a lot of screen tearing when fps is hovering around 60 on a 60hz monitor so I usually want my fps to go higher than that.

I read an article at a site called 100fps.com discussing fps and the way our brain perceives things displayed in frames (movies, games etc.) It helped me gain a bit of an understanding of FPS although some of it made my eyes roll back in my head.

I'm not allowed to post links here right?

In rFactor 2 you can monitor your fps by pressing CTRL+F.

I recommend setting a framerate cap. Based on my experience, big variance in framerate causes stuttering. For example if fps drops from 120fps to 90fps I can easily notice that drop and that distracts my driving. Currently I'm using 90fps cap on a 60hz monitor but set it to whatever your computer can handle consistently.

You can set a framerate cap in player.json file on line "Max Framerate":90,

Also in some first person shooters I have noticed a lot of screen tearing when fps is hovering around 60 on a 60hz monitor so I usually want my fps to go higher than that.
That's where the adaptive vsync is supposed to work

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 102 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 78 9.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 52 6.4%
  • < 5 years