Still can't load old projects...

I posed this a while back (on the old forum) but it never got answered properly because of the forum being offline. I thought that it might be fixed in V0.6 but it isn't.

I can't load any projects which I made in 0.4.2.3. They worked for a while in 0.5, but for some reason I can't load them any more. I've tried nearly all of my 38 backups of my project (which all worked before) and NONE of them work, so I know that it is not the track. Brendon, I sent my tracks to you and you reported that they work, so it is obviously only a problem with my PC. I have uninstalled BTB completely about 3 or 4 times, installing a clean version each time and I still can't get it to work.

Please help, I really don't want to lose what is more than a year's worth of work.

If you want me to send the track again, I'll be happy to do so.

My system specifications:
Windows Vista Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) SP1 32bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ ~3.1GHz
3582MB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB

This is the Unhandled exception error I get:
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
   at BobsTrackBuilder.frmMain.DrawPanel_TerrainArea(View& v, TerrainArea loTA, Boolean Solid)
   at BobsTrackBuilder.frmMain.DrawPanel_2d(View v)
   at BobsTrackBuilder.frmMain.DrawPanel(View& v)
   at BobsTrackBuilder.frmMain.pnl_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
.. edit don't need all of this ...

Yep they loaded alright.

I'd be interested to see if others can load your project. Care to send it to a few other people to see if they can open it?

Attachments

• SS.jpg
    SS.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 325
If it is a texture which can't be loaded, is there a way to find out what texture it is so that I can put it in the right place?

If I remember rightly, if a texture is missing, the error message says so.

Hi Davesta,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I have downloaded from the link you posted and can say it works fine here. I am Running:

Windows 7 Beta 32 bits
AMD Athlon X2 6000+
4GB Ram
Nvidia 9800gt

Have you tried to reinstall DirectX 9 and .NET and things like that? I can see why you'd be upset to lose your work, as it really looks great what you have achieved. :worship: Good luck with it. Take care,

Andrew

Hi Davesta,

Loads into BTB V0.6, just fine for me! (yes I know there's a patch)

Exports to rfactor with no problems!

Took a test drive too!

Looks and drives very nicely, I can see you put a lot of work into your track, i hope you can sort things out!

My PC Specs!
CPU Intel E6850 / Invidia 8800GTX / 4GB Ram / Service pack 3

Thanks for the compliments both of you. I've spent probably more than 2 years on that project (on and off - adding bits occasionally, sometimes waiting for the new BTB release so I can improve it more). It means a lot to me that people like the track I've spent the most time on. :)

As for loading it - I've had an idea. Since you can all get that to work from the download, I shall try downloading it myself and opening it. It's a long shot because I uploaded it after the problem started, but it could work. I'll do it tomorrow though, it's late here in England...

Sorry about your problem Davesta.

I can open your BTB proyect on my Vista 32 ultimate.

Hope you can solve it nearly.... ;)

My Pc spec:

P5K pro - intel E6750 - 2Gb DDR2 800 - Asus EN8800Gt
runing on vista 32

acctually I can´t load any BTB proyect on Richard burns... i do every and nothing changes, we are in troubles... hope we can laugh about this soon.

I have tried using the version that I uploaded, this doesn't work either. It has to be something to do with my PC rather than the project itself.

Could someone with an ATi card test it? Mine is a new card - I was using NVidia before. Again, it's a long shot, but I remember there were some problems with ATi cards a while back...

Out of interest, what Firewall/AntiVirus are you running?

A while back, I had errors everywhere with BTB that neither me nor Piddy could figure out for ages (and he sent me tens of new EXEs to try).

It turned out to be a service that the firewall left running even when disabled/uninstalled, that somehow blocked BTB from being able to use the graphics card (or something to that effect) and when disabled, BTB went back to it's brilliant self. :dance2:. The software was Comodo Internet Security/Comodo Firewall (was free, but got the boot when it broke BTB :rotfl:).

Just throwing this out there, just in case something similiar might be happening at your end. Take care,

Andrew

At the moment I'm not actually using any antivirus software. It makes my computer run slower than is necessary. This being a gaming PC, I don't want that. I prefer to simply back everything up regularly and not click on things that are likely to be viruses. I find that reinstalling windows occasionally is less hassle than running resource-hogging antivirus programmes.

If the problem is not hardware based, it must be software.
My next steps would be uninstall and reinstall the .Net framework.
If that still didn't fix it, reinstall windows?
It seems quite drastic but if it solves your problem its worth it.
I have a separate partition on my hard drive just for windows.
My documents is elsewhere as are any programs I install.
Makes the dreaded format - reinstall slightly less painful.

• buckets

Direct X might be another one to try re-installing, there appear to be several flavours of 9c and some seem to be better than others, some even containing differently named dll's. [You say it is a gaming machine, so if you've installed new games recently this could have resulted in a different version being put on]

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 326 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 459 39.3%