Stefano on ACC modability

RMR1

@Simberia
Kunos at last commented on ACC modability, in short terms: No official mod support this time around.

We are totally aware of the importance of modding and its contribution to the success of Assetto Corsa.
It's a great way for new talents to emerge, for the community to "suggest" new directions and/or simply to make a product richer. It is not a coincidence that some of the best guys in this community are now contributing with us to the evolution of the software.

However, for ACC this element will have to be put in stand-by mode for a series of reasons. The most important one is that we have given ourselves an enormous task of rebuilding, once again our software from (almost) scratch. In a world where pretty much every product you see on the market in simracing is an evolution of games that have been on the market 10-15 years ago, our approach is to get a big axe and reset things to (almost) zero before starting with a new project, ACC is no exception.

In this case the task is rendered more complex by the fact that we are using, for the first time a third party engine that we did not design ourselves and the truth is, given the amount of time we have available to deliver ACC to the public, we have more than enough on our hands trying to figure out how to use the engine effectively to also think about how to make the platform moddable.

As you can imagine, this has been source of endless discussions in the last year and half as every decision comes with pros and cons, there is going to be pain no matter what your final call will be. It goes without saying that we believe we made the right call even if that means loosing the huge benefits of a moddable platform.

So to recap, there will be no action from our side regarding modding, both in the direction of promoting nor offering any kind of forum support for it as in the opposite direction, we have no intent to stop it from happening if some smart guy figure out how to do it.

Source: here

... ESPECIALLY when it comes to something you disagree with.
Could you perhaps explain a bit more in detail why you think ACC will be arcade just because it features a single series?
You do know it will feature an advanced version of AC’s physics engine, does that make a good argument ACC will be a lesser product?
Maybe if you can elaborate a bit further, the replays will be less picky...
Cheers

Could you perhaps explain a bit more in detail why you think ACC will be arcade just because it features a single series?

Certainly, but you answered your own question. With ACC there is ONE series ... with AC we had the WORLD of motor racing.

ANYTHING, save night and rain, was possible.

You do know it will feature an advanced version of AC’s physics engine, does that make a good argument ACC will be a lesser product?

I think you meant to say, "does that make a good argument ACC will be a GREATOR product?" ...
No problems one way or the other.

But IF they are developing a better physics engine, then why couldn't we have ACII? And why just ONE racing series? The community is giving up a lot, just to have one series ... a series that could have (some might say rightly) been built for AC as a DLC except of course, for the rain and dark of night ... and sounds.

More? How about the modders who put so much into AC? Did anyone read what the interview said about modders?

QUOTE: We are totally aware of the importance of modding and its contribution to the success of Assetto Corsa. It's a great way for new talents to emerge, for the community to "suggest" new directions and/or simply to make a product richer. It is not a coincidence that some of the best guys in this community are now contributing with us to the evolution of the software. However, for ACC this element will have to be put in stand-by mode for a series of reasons. End quote.

But here's another. QUOTE: ... we believe we made the right call even if that means losing the huge benefits of a moddable platform.

Get that? NO MODDING! Even though Stefano readily admits QUOTE: " We are totally aware of the importance of modding and its contribution to the success of Assetto Corsa. It's a great way for new talents to emerge, for the community to "suggest" new directions and/or simply to make a product richer", but he's throwing mods and modder to the curb.

Stefano has made NO commitment, NO promise, at least in the article above and everything else I've read, that ACII will ever be built or that there will ever be another platform which will support modders and modding. Not in a year, not 2 years, not FOUR years ... NO COMMITMENT.

... and nobody can tell me that "a stand-by mode" is a promise of anything.

I support modders and modding and I donate AND pay for mods for AC. Mod-ability and the potential for growth is the reason I got into AC ... THIS is the reason I bought Assetto Corsa and will never own ACC or ACC-F1 or any other single series video game.

Last edited:
Certainly, but you answered your own question. With ACC there is ONE series ..,. with AC we had the WORLD of motor racing. ANYTHING, save night and rain, was possible.

Then why couldn't we have ACII? Why just ONE series? The community is giving up a lot, just to have one series ... a series that could have (some might say rightly) been built for AC as a DLC except of course, for the rain and dark of night ... and sounds.

More? How about the modders who put so much into AC? Did anyone read what the interview said about modders?

QUOTE: We are totally aware of the importance of modding and its contribution to the success of Assetto Corsa. It's a great way for new talents to emerge, for the community to "suggest" new directions and/or simply to make a product richer. It is not a coincidence that some of the best guys in this community are now contributing with us to the evolution of the software. However, for ACC this element will have to be put in stand-by mode for a series of reasons. End quote.

But here's another. QUOTE: ... we believe we made the right call even if that means losing the huge benefits of a moddable platform.

Get that? NO MODDING! Even though Stefano readily admits QUOTE: " We are totally aware of the importance of modding and its contribution to the success of Assetto Corsa. It's a great way for new talents to emerge, for the community to "suggest" new directions and/or simply to make a product richer", he has made NO commitment, NO promise, at least in the article above and everything else I've read, that ACII will ever be built or that there will ever be another platform which will support modders and modding. Not in a year, not 2 years, not FOUR years ... NO COMMITMENT.

... and nobody can tell me that "a stand-by mode" is a promise of anything.

I support modders and modding and I donate AND pay for mods for AC. Mod-ability and the potential for growth is the reason I got into AC ... THIS is the reason I bought Assetto Corsa and will never own ACC or ACC-F1 or any other single series video game.
If you cannot understand the simple fact the ACC is just a stepping stone to get into the new UE4 engine then there is no helping you. To bring all of the AC1 content into the new UE4 engine with ALL the different types of cars it has would be a HUGE task and would take YEARS. ACC will allow them to get into the new engine with limited content. They can then entertain the idea of the true AC sequel once they fully understand the new engine.

And please drop the NO MODDING nonsense. Yes they won't support it officially but the chances are VERY HIGH that we will be able to mod it.

Also AC1 is far from dead. It's actually the best time to mod for it as you know no updates will break your mods.

If you cannot understand the simple fact the ACC is just a stepping stone to get into the new UE4 engine then there is no helping you. To bring all of the AC1 content into the new UE4 engine with ALL the different types of cars it has would be a HUGE task and would take YEARS. ACC will allow them to get into the new engine with limited content. They can then entertain the idea of the true AC sequel once they fully understand the new engine.

And please drop the NO MODDING nonsense. Yes they won't support it officially but the chances are VERY HIGH that we will be able to mod it.

Also AC1 is far from dead. It's actually the best time to mod for it as you know no updates will break your mods.

No Modding Nonsense? Really. Did you read the article? ACII is a dream that will never be realized.

No problems ... as I said ... I will not buy this product and will make it my business to stay away from the arcade game side of things.

No Modding Nonsense? Really. Did you read the article? ACII is a dream that will never be realized.

No problems ... as I said ... I will not buy this product and will make it my business to stay away from the arcade game side of things.
You still haven’t explained the
Single series equals arcade
comparison! That’s what all of us really interest.
GTR2, GPL......

You still haven’t explained the Single series equals arcade
comparison!

Funniest thing I read all day ... you guys are amazing. Sorry to have raised a fuss about this, AC is something I care a great deal about. We just see things differently ... I'm not a gamer ... apparently you guys are. I really do hope you enjoy ACC ... and ACC-F1 when that comes out.

Funniest thing I read all day ... you guys are amazing. Sorry to have raised a fuss about this, AC is something I care a great deal about. We just see things differently ... I'm not a gamer ... apparently you guys are. I really do hope you enjoy ACC ... and ACC-F1 when that comes out.
It's just your terminology is flawed. Just because it will have a single series doesn't make it arcade or less of a sim. You don't like the idea of it and that is fine. Am I excited about ACC? No not really as I'm not a fan of GT3 cars. I'm more interested in what follows. If it is AC2 then great. If it is more single series sims then that is unfortunate. But guess what? We won't know until the time comes.

Last edited:

Perhaps I can break this down to help you out here.

What you have been ranting about for the past few pages, boils down to nothing more than incoherent nonsense. You are getting basic terminology as it relates to sim-racing completely wrong, without understanding what you are saying.

Arcade vs simulation as it relates to sim-racing solely refers to the driving behavior (physics, handling, etc.) and not anything related to content, amount of content, variety of content, features, or anything else.

Your illogical statement that, paraphrased, "A game cannot be a sim if it only features 1 series" is contrary to the definition of what a simulation is. Which I wont waste time defining here.

To look at it differently, using your logic in that statement, the original Need For Speed and Mario Karts would be considered the grand daddy of simulations simply because they offer content of varied performance levels. Meaning they offered vehicles from more than 1 single class/series. Yet, nothing about either of those simulates real driving.

Your angst that ACC will tentatively only feature GT3 cars has no bearing whatsoever on whether it is a simulation or arcade. And for you to repeatedly state otherwise, will only damage your own reputation as being labeled as someone who doesnt know what they are talking about.

You can be upset that it wont offer a ton of variety, but that is a wholly separate issue than the arcade vs sim statements you were making. In fact, many people do have the same concern that ACC is 'only' going to be a Blancpain game.

And this isnt even beginning to touch on the whole 'modding' aspect that you are highly misrepresenting as well.

LilSki summed it up well above:

Not officially providing modding tools and officially supporting modding, does not mean whatsoever, that people will not be able to create mods for the game.

OOOOoooohhhhh I get it. I meant arcade as a pejorative, not a comparative. You guys were looking at it as a term of art, a technical term. Like ... "Pong" or something.

I was making ACC to be like a game of chance in a wooden arcade on the boardwalk in Asbury Park, NJ.

Look, in Assetto Corsa, we have the ability to re-create the entirety of motor racing. Now think about that. Every car, every track, every race including the ones in ACC. They gave us the keys to the kingdom. Except for weather or dark ... or whatever.

ACC is probably going to be the greatest single series motor racing game in history. Maybe for 2 or 3 years.

After that is anybody's guess. I read the interview above. From that interview, my guess is, since they already have all that great architecture, they will protect it and we'll get ACC-F1, and not ACII.

As for modding, has anybody seen the eula on this thing yet? You might get in, but you are not going to be able to run any race here at RD if it even smells like it was close to something in copyright violation.

Last edited:
Personally the only thing I care about here is whether I can add apps like AC. Other than that I don't care because for me the default cars and tracks will be enough because I love GTs and I love the circuits this series goes to.

As long as there is spectate mode and some good broadcast overlays this game is going right in my steam list... Actually its probably ending up there no matter what :roflmao: keep it up @kunos

In AC multiple cars and series are SIMULATED, while in ACC one series will be SIMULATED. If something is simulated doesn't this make it a Sim? :rolleyes:
Like Marco mentioned this is just the tip of the iceberg, soon there be 5-10-15 different series once this 1st release dominates the games news and takes over as the number 1 game released,
everyone will be banging down there doors to make series no doubts! :D

Personally the only thing I care about here is whether I can add apps like AC. Other than that I don't care because for me the default cars and tracks will be enough because I love GTs and I love the circuits this series goes to.
I think they've already hinted at the fact that apps are gone. I found that alarming but I also think it opens up the opportunity for a more realistic way of getting data about your car in the vein of crew chief.

I have no expectations going into ACC, I'm eagerly waiting for whatever they come up with. I trust they know what they're doing and will provide something special.

The idea that Assetto Corsa recreated the "entirety of motor racing" just because it was officially open for mods is a strange one, unless you're happy with one or two cars per series (and often not even bop'ed to race each other) and using some mod cars and tracks of rather questionable quality (95+% of them) to try and simulate a season. Even then you wouldn't even be able to properly simulate all the rules... it's a jack of all trades, master of none situation (just like with most sims with a heavy focus on being mod-platforms).

Sure, there are some car and track moders who are coming up with stuff even better than official Kunos content, but those are few and far between, and the moders-paradise is already done (for now) with the first Assetto Corsa, so I'm happy that Kunos moved on to something else, and right now I'd rather have a properly simulated single series sim from them.

Also, they'll probably learn a thing or two while developing ACC that will eventually help them make Assetto Corsa 2 (if it ever happens) a much better game than what it would have been if they made it right now.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back